PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ravens @ Colts game discussion (AFC Divisional Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well our defense also knew that flacco was crippled so they certainly were better than us.Plus regardless, they tackle very well and dont give up YAC a lot .Iam not sure the SD pass defense either thats why iam not that big a believer that the chargers can beat the colts this yr. SD's defenses were better in the past yrs.

Disagree. San Diego's defense was MUCH worse last season. After the Pittsburgh game this season, they cleaned up their act.

Actually we weren't that bad on defense, and anyone scratching their heads about the defense against the Ravens wasn't watching the game.

We were terrible on offense, but we weren't -that- bad on defense. Aside from the blown first play of the game (83 yard TD), Rice had 3.6 YPC, McGahee 3.1 YPC. Aside from the 24 point first quarter, the Ravens didn't do much of anything, and let's recap how that first quarter went...

Drive 1:
------------
1st play of game, 83 yard TD run... OK that was terrible, but give it a mulligan

Drive 2:
-----------
Brady fumbles on 3rd play, Ravens recover at 17 yard line
Ravens score making it 14-0.

Drive 3:
------------
Pats go 3 & out
Ravens go 3 & out

Drive 4:
-------------
Brady throws INT on 4th play, Ravens end up on 25
Ravens score making it 21-0.

Drive 5:
-------------
Brady throws INT on 2nd play, Ravens run back to 9
Ravens settle for FG, 24-0.

The offense gave that game away. No defense can be expected to stop another team when given that field position (17,25,9) that quickly (3 plays, 4 plays, 2 plays) by the offense.

The offense ran a grand total of 9 non-turnover plays in 4 possessions in the 1st quarter by the time it was 24-0.

Brady was finally forced to spread the ball around to guys like Aiken, and that was the reason we lost. But then again people accuse Brady of having a "bad" year because he wasn't spreading it around to these guys...

Yeah dude, we've been through this before. We allowed 220 yards rushing to a team playing with one arm behind it's back, offensive mistakes or not. That is not good defense. If you believe the defense was good this year, I would suggest Lasik surgery.

EDIT: Correction - 234 yards rushing.

Last edited:
The Ravens do their usual "no offense" routine. Flacco is not the smartest QB in the league. Plus the Colts, as usual, get boatloads of help from the zebras. The NFL is a joke sometimes. The blatant favoritism toward the Colts by the refs is a total fraud.

There should be an asterisk in the record books next to Peyton's stats. The guy gets endless help from the snot rag tossers. A DB just breathes on a Colts receiver and we're seeing yellow rain.

Actually we weren't that bad on defense, and anyone scratching their heads about the defense against the Ravens wasn't watching the game.

We were terrible on offense, but we weren't -that- bad on defense. Aside from the blown first play of the game (83 yard TD), Rice had 3.6 YPC, McGahee 3.1 YPC. Aside from the 24 point first quarter, the Ravens didn't do much of anything, and let's recap how that first quarter went...

Drive 1:
------------
1st play of game, 83 yard TD run... OK that was terrible, but give it a mulligan

Drive 2:
-----------
Brady fumbles on 3rd play, Ravens recover at 17 yard line
Ravens score making it 14-0.

Drive 3:
------------
Pats go 3 & out
Ravens go 3 & out

Drive 4:
-------------
Brady throws INT on 4th play, Ravens end up on 25
Ravens score making it 21-0.

Drive 5:
-------------
Brady throws INT on 2nd play, Ravens run back to 9
Ravens settle for FG, 24-0.

The offense gave that game away. No defense can be expected to stop another team when given that field position (17,25,9) that quickly (3 plays, 4 plays, 2 plays) by the offense.

The offense ran a grand total of 9 non-turnover plays in 4 possessions in the 1st quarter by the time it was 24-0.

Brady was finally forced to spread the ball around to guys like Aiken, and that was the reason we lost. But then again people accuse Brady of having a "bad" year because he wasn't spreading it around to these guys...

well. YPC doesnt mean much when a team runs 3 straight times for a first down. Our offense was horrendeus but our D when given a chance with the ravens pinned deep before the 2 min warning actually let them run right through to our side of the field. They could not get off on 3rd downs when needed and did not play well in the RZ even with the short field. and thats what the defense needs to do. Indy's RZ defense is outstanding for e.g . All the ypc is wasted if you cant score and the ravens just ran at us. If they had thrown all our maligned secondary with no pass rush it would be easy to digest .But they ran with W and W back in the lineup ,with 8 men in the box which is the most disgusting part about the game.Our D doesnt tackle well and that is more than half of the problem

well. YPC doesnt mean much when a team runs 3 straight times for a first down. Our offense was horrendeus but our D when given a chance with the ravens pinned deep before the 2 min warning actually let them run right through to our side of the field. They could not get off on 3rd downs when needed and did not play well in the RZ even with the short field. and thats what the defense needs to do. Indy's RZ defense is outstanding for e.g . All the ypc is wasted if you cant score and the ravens just ran at us. If they had thrown all our maligned secondary with no pass rush it would be easy to digest .But they ran with W and W back in the lineup ,with 8 men in the box which is the most disgusting part about the game.Our D doesnt tackle well and that is more than half of the problem

Seriously, you're wasting your energy. Don't bother. emoney is in the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" crowd when it comes to the defense this past season. Just complete and utter denial.

Last edited:
Yeah dude, we've been through this before. We allowed 220 yards rushing to a team playing with one arm behind it's back, offensive mistakes or not. That is not good defense. If you believe the defense was good this year, I would suggest Lasik surgery.

38% of those yards came on ONE play. I didn't bring up the defense this year, I mentioned the fact that in the Ravens game the defense did NOT play that bad. You can choose to ignore the facts all you want, our offense had BOTH arms tied behind its back and gave the game away. 3.4 YPC plus one blown play for a TD is actually a good defensive day and a day in which we should have won.

I just got home from work...was this a defensive game?

I never said we had a great D this year or that there weren't some glaring weaknesses. The defense was on the field for practically the entire 1st quarter. They make a stop and 2-4 plays later are back out there. Even a great defense is going to find it difficult to be consistent in that crappy situation. And of the 4 times the offense gave the ball BACK to the Ravens in the 1st quarter, there was one 3&out and one 3&FG from the 9.

They had their moments and weren't consistent (as we have seen all year, consistency was a big issue), but overall played well enough that with even a respectable offensive performance we should have won.

You guys are all a bunch of whiners. Your team sucks ass this year and all you do is try to make excuses of why a better team crushed the team that sent you packing. Face it, Brady played like hot garbage last week and the Patriots were a joke this year.

38% of those yards came on ONE play. I didn't bring up the defense this year, I mentioned the fact that in the Ravens game the defense did NOT play that bad. You can choose to ignore the facts all you want, our offense had BOTH arms tied behind its back and gave the game away. 3.4 YPC plus one blown play for a TD is actually a good defensive day and a day in which we should have won.

in my opinion ,3rd down and RZ if good can win you most games even if you give up all the yardage .Last few yrs both of these critical stats our defense hasnt played well.

The offense gave away 14 points. The defense allowed 19. Take away the 83 yard rumble and the defense still allowed 151 yards rushing to a team without a quarterback. Not exactly playing well. Oh, and by the way, I'll be the first to admit that the offense messed up. But people like you excuse the defense for the game all the way around because of the offensive miscues. That's just simply not the case. The defense, for all intents in purposes, served up it's own healthy helping of fail last Sunday as well. But then again, I've told you this before and you seem content to keep excusing the defense. In reality, I'm not sure why I keep posting these cold, hard FACTS to you. But eh, what the hell? I'm bored.

I never said we had a great D this year or that there weren't some glaring weaknesses. The defense was on the field for practically the entire 1st quarter. They make a stop and 2-4 plays later are back out there. Even a great defense is going to find it difficult to be consistent in that crappy situation. And of the 4 times the offense gave the ball BACK to the Ravens in the 1st quarter, there was one 3&out and one 3&FG from the 9.

They had their moments and weren't consistent (as we have seen all year, consistency was a big issue), but overall played well enough that with even a respectable offensive performance we should have won.

I should certainly HOPE that they made a stop sometimes. For Christ's sake they were facing a completely one dimensional team. A high school defense probably could have made one or two stops.

Seriously, you're wasting your energy. Don't bother. emoney is in the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" crowd when it comes to the defense this past season. Just complete and utter denial.

Are you just one of those ignorant finger in your ear types who refuse to read posts in their entirety?

You claimed our defense was just "that bad" against the Ravens, I pointed out the fact that they were not THAT bad. I never claimed the defense was a great unit this season, because consistency is a very big thing. All in all we were a decent to good defense this season (17.8 PPG is not happening by a terrible defense).

Last edited:
You guys are all a bunch of whiners. Your team sucks ass this year and all you do is try to make excuses of why a better team crushed the team that sent you packing. Face it, Brady played like hot garbage last week and the Patriots were a joke this year.

Angry Saturday night in the house? :D

The offense gave away 14 points. The defense allowed 19. Take away the 83 yard rumble and the defense still allowed 151 yards rushing to a team without a quarterback. Not exactly playing well. Oh, and by the way, I'll be the first to admit that the offense messed up. But people like you excuse the defense for the game all the way around because of the offensive miscues. That's just simply not the case. The defense, for all intents in purposes, served up it's own healthy helping of fail last Sunday as well. But then again, I've told you this before and you seem content to keep excusing the defense. In reality, I'm not sure why I keep posting these cold, hard FACTS to you. But eh, what the hell? I'm bored.

The offense gave away 17 of the 24 points in the first quarter. Being down 24-0 changes the dynamic of the game. For example we couldn't run as much as we PLANNED to because we were in such a deep hole.

151 yards rushing on 51 carries says a lot more about the offense than the defense, but keep grasping. Your facts are missing a lot of information which I continually have to give to you. "220 yards" and "151 yards" is nothing but a way for you to ignore the entire picture.

The defense allowed 3 FG's and the botched 83 yard TD when given normal field position. But keep pretending the offense didn't completely throw that game away.

Are you just one of those ignorant finger in your ear types who refuse to read posts in their entirety?

You claimed our defense was just "that bad" against the Ravens, I pointed out the fact that they were not THAT bad. I never claimed the defense was a great unit this season, because consistency is a very big thing. All in all we were a decent to good defense this season (17.8 PPG is not happening by a terrible defense).

Ugh. Have you not read the orgy of posts directed your way in which this defense faced exactly THREE good offenses and allowed over 30 points and 400+ yards of offense in each of those games? I guess not. It's pretty easy to have inflated stats when you face bad offenses. Seriously, go look up the Patriots schedule on NFL.com then open up a separate page and go to the NFL.com "stats" section and look up each team's offense that we played. Not exactly a murderer's row.

in my opinion ,3rd down and RZ if good can win you most games even if you give up all the yardage .Last few yrs both of these critical stats our defense hasnt played well.

Absolutely I agree, but even in a perfect RZ defensive effort given the field position, one would expect at the minimum 9 points. So our "bad" defense let up 8 more points than a 'perfect' (assuming you can't expect a turnover) defense would on that extremely short field position.

A GOOD RZ defense though will probably let up 1 TD and 2 FG in those 3 short field position turnovers. And at that point it's 20-0 instead of 24-0, a bit better but still far from good situation.

Ugh. Have you not read the orgy of posts directed your way in which this defense faced exactly THREE good offenses and allowed over 30 points and 400+ yards of offense in each of those games? I guess not. It's pretty easy to have inflated stats when you face bad offenses. Seriously, go look up the Patriots schedule on NFL.com then open up a separate page and go to the NFL.com "stats" section and look up each team's offense that we played. Not exactly a murderer's row.

Come on, the defence wasn't the greatest but lt's dump a little bit of the blame on Brady. He played like an absolute bum last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft