PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Ranking all 32 NFL fan bases

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Just my personal ranking on where all fan bases stand.

For this I used a number of factors. They include knowledge of fan base (when you talk to them do you get the feeling the know what they speak of) , passion of fan-ship (do they care if their team wins or loses? Do they travel well?) , decency of fans towards others (when on the road or hosting other fans do they conduct themselves with dignity and)

Here are my rankings.

Crap Tier - Terrible fans on nearly every level.

32 - Baltimore, 31 - Philly, 30 - Oakland, 29 - KC - The clear cut worst 4 fan bases in the NFL. If you are ever going to a road game to these you may actually need to fear for your safety and sanity. The ignorance and antagonism these fan bases show is legendary. They have passion but it actually makes them worse and frankly there is a lot of whining in this group but mostly the first 3. KC doesn't seem to whine too much and are an odd mix off ******* and apathetic.

Bad tier

28 - Rams, 27- Chargers, 26 - Jax, 25 - AZ, 24 - Tampa, 23 - Cinci, 22 - Texans, 21 - Tenn 20 - Atlanta - I really shouldn't even bother ranking theses but I put them my best guess order. These fans just honestly don't care about football much. They are nice enough but you just don't see the passion there in general. Atlanta has some right now but it is a bit of a bandwagon effect and I don't think it will last but for now they are ranked the least of the bad tier. If they keep up the passion they join the next tier.

Okay tier

19 - Jets, 18 - Carolina, 17 - Cleveland, 16 - Indy, 15 - Miami, 14 - Minn - These are okay fan bases but really are mostly home fans. They don't travel much and some of these fan bases it is hard to properly gauge. some have sucked for so long it is hard to blame them for lack of interest to a certain degree.

Good tier

13 - Seattle, 12 - Detroit, 11 - Wash, 10 - Bills, 9 - 49ers - These are good fan bases in general. Seattle still has a bit of bandwagon factor but a lot were there in the early 2000s too. They seem like a bunch who will stick. Detroit would be better fans if their team was good. Washington is the same. The Bills are a loyal but small market team. the 49ers are falling pretty bad recently. Being bad for a while will do that but still a solid base and the base Cali fan base you are likely to find in near any sport.

Top tier fans - I don't like all these teams but I think they have good fan bases. It is odd I think some of the best fan bases are on some of my most hated teams but overall they are reasonable and are not overally rude to other fans and care about their teams.

Green Bay, Denver, Chicago, Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, New Orleans, New England

If I were to nitpick I think Cowboys fans can be a bit delusional about their team at times. Denver are bad winners but good losers. The Steelers can sometimes get stuck in a 70s football mentality and overrate the impact of their skill position players. Thoughts on this list? Any you think are completely wrongly placed?

Last edited:
Thoughts on this list?

Pats fans are the best. The rest are all losers.

tenor.gif

:)

I always had the impression KC fans were pretty good? They make Arrowhead one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL (despite not having the acoustic advantage that Seattle has).

In terms of the of 'traveling well', I think that criteria is overstated. The vast majority are not actually traveling; they moved away. That may be more of an indictment about where they originally lived (e.g., Green Bay, Pittsburgh) than a positive about their fan base.

On the other hand I can only recall ever meeting two KC fans in my life. The first was long ago; she was pretty hot and could do no wrong in my eyes. The only other one was more recent; I knew more about the Chiefs than he did.

If a bottom tier team lands there based on "going to a road game to these you may actually need to fear for your safety and sanity", then shouldn't both NY/NJ franchises be in that grouping? There have been plenty of alarming stories about what happens to visitors at MetLife/Medowlands over the years to place them in the same grouping as Philly and Baltimore.

Just my personal ranking on where all fan basis stand.

For this I used a number of factors. They include knowledge of fan base (when you talk to them do you get the feeling the know what they speak of) , passion of fan-ship (do they care if their team wins or loses? Do they travel well?) , decency of fans towards others (when on the road or hosting other fans do they conduct themselves with dignity and)

Here are my rankings.

Crap Tier - Terrible fans on nearly every level.

32 - Baltimore, 31 - Philly, 30 - Oakland, 29 - KC - The clear cut worst 4 fan bases in the NFL. If you are ever going to a road game to these you may actually need to fear for your safety and sanity. The ignorance and antagonism these fan bases show is legendary. They have passion but it actually makes them worse and frankly there is a lot of whining in this group but mostly the first 3. KC doesn't seem to whine too much and are an odd mix off ******* and apathetic.

Bad tier

28 - Rams, 27- Chargers, 26 - Jax, 25 - AZ, 24 - Tampa, 23 - Cinci, 22 - Texans, 21 - Tenn 20 - Atlanta - I really shouldn't even bother ranking theses but I put them my best guess order. These fans just honestly don't care about football much. They are nice enough but you just don't see the passion there in general. Atlanta has some right now but it is a bit of a bandwagon effect and I don't think it will last but for now they are ranked the least of the bad tier. If they keep up the passion they join the next tier.

Okay tier

19 - Jets, 18 - Carolina, 17 - Cleveland, 16 - Indy, 15 - Miami, 14 - Minn - These are okay fan bases but really are mostly home fans. They don't travel much and some of these fan bases it is hard to properly gauge. some have sucked for so long it is hard to blame them for lack of interest to a certain degree.

Good tier

13 - Seattle, 12 - Detroit, 11 - Wash, 10 - Bills, 9 - 49ers - These are good fan bases in general. Seattle still has a bit of bandwagon factor but a lot were there in the early 2000s too. They seem like a bunch who will stick. Detroit would be better fans if their team was good. Washington is the same. The Bills are a loyal but small market team. the 49ers are falling pretty bad recently. Being bad for a while will do that but still a solid base and the base Cali fan base you are likely to find in near any sport.

Top tier fans - I don't like all these teams but I think they have good fan bases. It is odd I think some of the best fan bases are on some of my most hated teams but overall they are reasonable and are not overally rude to other fans and care about their teams.

Green Bay, Denver, Chicago, Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, New Orleans, New England

If I were to nitpick I think Cowboys fans can be a bit delusional about their team at times. Denver are bad winners but good losers. The Steelers can sometimes get stuck in a 70s football mentality and overrate the impact of their skill position players. Thoughts on this list? Any you think are completely wrongly placed?
Disagree here based on personal experience:
Jets have an epically CRAP fan base, one of the very worst! You weren't sober rating them "OK." (Crap)
Baltimore fans are not that bad, longtime football people going back to classic Colts days. (OK/Good)
Miami fans are very fair-weather and seldom fill the stadium. (Bad/OK)
Chargers belong in the crap tier for multiple reasons, partly because they no longer really have a fan "base." (Crap)
Seattle fans might merit top-tier, they're a pretty enthusiastic bunch. (Top)
Cincinnati fans support their team despite it being mediocre for decades, I'd rate them a tad higher. (OK)
I'm conflicted on Philly, they can be nasty to outsiders but they know football and are passionate. (OK/Good)
Same with KC, VERY passionate fan base, have never sensed them being overly nasty like Jets/Chargers/Raiders fans. (OK/Good)

Otherwise, no major quibbles.

One cannot "rank" what is already and has been eternally rank...the other 31 you can rank any way you wish. Ranking the Rats would be like ranking well known sewers...I mean I guess you COULD do it but really...why bother?

I like all of your rankings for the most part and enjoyed reading this. However, having lived in Dallas for a long time now, I think the Cowboys are ranked too high.

We'll see how good the fanbase is once they have a losing season. Easy to be good fans of a team with sustained success over the past decade or more, which is pretty much all the teams you've located in the top tier. Nobody would have ranked the Patriots or Saints anywhere near the top tier in 2000.

Kansas City fanbase is a mixed bag. They're legendary for being "Philly like" in their stadium to opposing fans, and seem kinda assholish in general, such as when they cheered Cassel's concussion. I've known a few Chiefs fans and all were pretty passionate, even when the team sucked. More recently, I met a Chiefs fan...she's pretty cute, but definitely kinda jumped on the bandwagon (she's from KC, so it's allowed I guess). I'd say the license plate bracket and office decor went up around the 4-0 mark this year.

We'll see how good the fanbase is once they have a losing season. Easy to be good fans of a team with sustained success over the past decade or more, which is pretty much all the teams you've located in the top tier. Nobody would have ranked the Patriots or Saints anywhere near the top tier in 2000.

It seemed there were more Dolphins fans than real Pats fans in the stands in the early 90s...and not always when the Dolphins were in town. Maybe they came to laugh at us :eek:

It seemed there were more Dolphins fans than real Pats fans in the stands in the early 90s...and not always when the Dolphins were in town. Maybe they came to laugh at us :eek:

I remember that too. Dolphins fans traveled well.

KC seems to be the biggest complaint in my rankings. Yes they are passionate but so are Philly fans (I would argue KC fans are more passionate).

I guess I should say me personally (I know it isn't for everyone) if your fan base on the whole acts inappropriately to other fans that makes you automatically bottom tier. I have heard to many horror stories about what goes on in their stadium to rank them anything else but a trash fan bases personally though I am sure many of them are okay but once you have too many bad apples in your fan base that's it for me.

@Tunescribe

It seems we have a very different opinion about Baltimore fans then. I can't stand them. Maybe the old timer fans are okay but too many young thug fans who cheer for Ray Lewis and cheered Pollard injuring players... particularly Patriots.

I have no respect for that fan base in general. Just too many of those young fans have polluted what may have been a good fan base (IDK... I wasn't alive in the 60s/70s).

@Tunescribe

It seems we have a very different opinion about Baltimore fans then. I can't stand them. Maybe the old timer fans are okay but too many young thug fans who cheer for Ray Lewis and cheered Pollard injuring players... particularly Patriots.

I have no respect for that fan base in general. Just too many of those young fans have polluted what may have been a good fan base (IDK... I wasn't alive in the 60s/70s).
I've been to games @Ravens wearing Pats gear and never had a problem. Places where I have been made to feel uncomfortable were San Diego (Mexican punks roaming the concourses picking fights) and Jete games (verbal abuse, getting things thrown at me). I must emphasize: Jete fans are bottom-barrel worst -- stupid AND abusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3