OT: R.I.P. Bengals WR Chris Henry [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Chris Henry in a bad way

What the F??? God, I hope that's not true

Re: OT: WR Chis Henry involved in very serious car accident

Damn, it doesn't sound good. Very sad stuff

Just couldn't stay out of trouble. BTW he was put on IR this year.

It's sad for someone too die so young. RIP.

RIP Chris ... tough time of year for families to lose a loved one.

Edit: Prayers for the family as he's still alive ... but it looks like he won't make it.

Last edited:

Hideous. God.

Didn't see this thread, please merge mods :)

I really hope Henry isn't as badly injured as is being made out.

My thoughts and prayers with his family.

TSN just reported at the end of SportsCentre that he fell out of the back of a truck.

Terrible news for someone who appeared to be working hard to turn his life around. Terrible news for anyone, what a shame.

Here's hoping he is in a better place now--or that the reports are false somehow.

ESPN said he's in serious condition with life threatening injuries

The reports have of his death seem to be premature. One of the Twitter accounts that is linked is saying that was false and that CBS Sportsline has rescinded their report that he has died.

Re: OT: WR Chis Henry on life support after falling out of pickup truck bed [merged]

Unfortunately, we should have little optimism that this is only as "serious" as Tiger's accident.

Even though the circumstances are vaguely similar.

Best wishes to him, whether he was doing some wrong at the time or not.

Re: OT: WR Chis Henry on life support after falling out of pickup truck bed [merged]

Justw as going to report that...so so sad...

The reports of his death were from a fake Twitter account. However, PFT does say he is on life support:

Chris Henry is on life support | ProFootballTalk.com

Without knowing the details, it doesn't sound good.

From what little I can tell, it sounds like his primary injury was to his head - what is termed a "traumatic brain injury" (TBI). These can range from a mild concussion to being essentially brain dead. The problem can be due to a focal bleed (subdural or epidural hematoma, which can be surgically evacuated but can be life threatening if not treated early enough - Natasha Richardson died from an epidural hematoma from falling on a ski slope, for example), or from diffuse swelling - what is termed cerebral edema and diffuse axonal injury (DAI). Secondary brain injury after the initial insult can aggravate things as well.

Some things I would like to know:

1. Was he intubated (had a breathing tube put in) in the field, on arrival to the hospital, or later?
2. What was his best Glascow Coma Score (GCS)? That's a standardized clinical score ranging from 3 (very bad) to 15 (normal) to assess neurologic status. A GCS of 3 on arrival with no subsequent improvement would suggest a dire prognosis.
3. What is the nature of his traumatic injury - a focal bleed, diffuse edema, brainstem injury, etc. What did his CT scan show?
4. Did he have surgical intervention.

Those things would give a better sense of what his prognosis might be. But it sounds bad.

Without knowing the details, it doesn't sound good.

From what little I can tell, it sounds like his primary injury was to his head - what is termed a "traumatic brain injury" (TBI). These can range from a mild concussion to being essentially brain dead. The problem can be due to a focal bleed (subdural or epidural hematoma, which can be surgically evacuated but can be life threatening if not treated early enough - Natasha Richardson died from an epidural hematoma from falling on a ski slope, for example), or from diffuse swelling - what is termed cerebral edema and diffuse axonal injury (DAI). Secondary brain injury after the initial insult can aggravate things as well.

Some things I would like to know:

1. Was he intubated (had a breathing tube put in) in the field, on arrival to the hospital, or later?
2. What was his best Glascow Coma Score (GCS)? That's a standardized clinical score ranging from 3 (very bad) to 15 (normal) to assess neurologic status. A GCS of 3 on arrival with no subsequent improvement would suggest a dire prognosis.
3. What is the nature of his traumatic injury - a focal bleed, diffuse edema, brainstem injury, etc. What did his CT scan show?
4. Did he have surgical intervention.

Those things would give a better sense of what his prognosis might be. But it sounds bad.

I think the likelihood of you getting these details is somewhere between slim and none. Local media is using terms like dire condition and severe brain injury. Doesn't sound good at all.

I think the likelihood of you getting these details is somewhere between slim and none. Local media is using terms like dire condition and severe brain injury. Doesn't sound good at all.

I don't expect to get the details. I could probably get them, but it would be a violation of Chris Henry's privacy, as protected under federal law (the Health Privacy Information Act, or HIPA). But those are the things that I would want to know before making a rational assessment of his prognosis.

It's often obvious what has happened, even from skimpy details in the press. It was evident to any medical professional with experience treating traumatic brain injuries that Natasha Richardson had suffered an epidural hematoma (EDH), for example, even though the medical details weren't released for several days.

I just made a thread.... .did not see this 1.

Tough break and all because of a woman. I hope he can heal and overcome this and play in the NFL again.

good luck Henry.

Report: WR Henry's injuries life threatening

Henry
Updating a previous item, the Charlotte Observer reports that Bengals WR Chris Henry suffered "life-threatening" injuries when he fell out of the back of a pickup truck in Charlotte (NC) Wednesday.
FOXSports' Alex Marvez reports that Henry is on life support. Bengals beat writer Joe Reedy says Henry is "believed" to have suffered head injuries before being found roadside by police. Henry "came out" of the truck during a domestic dispute with his fiancee, a Charlotte native. As Henry's fiancee was allegedly driving away in the pickup, he is said to have jumped into the bed and ultimately fell or was forced out. Henry had been in Charlotte to finalize wedding plans. Police say Henry is still alive, but the situation is dire. Dec. 16 - 6:40 pm et

He may have a criminal background, but this is no time to look at his past...best wishes for a full recovery Chris.

geez, that's kind of like saying "some people think she's a whore, but I don't"...why mention it at all? especially at a time like this...a little gratuitous.

For those who are interested:

The Glasgow Coma Scale has three components:

Eyes, from spontaneous movement of eyes (4 points) down to not opening the eyes at all (1 point)
Verbal, from normal conversation (5 points) down to no verbalization at all (1 point)
Motor, from obeys commands (6 points), to responses to painful stimuli (5 points down to 2 points, depending on the exact movements), to no movement at all (1 point)

Someone walking around and functioning normally has a GCS scale of 15. Anything below 8 is considered a severe impairment of consciousness.

Glasgow Coma Scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back