OT: Owners-only meeting in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL held an owners-only meeting in Arizona

Every league meeting includes a variety of sessions attended by a variety of people. Last week in Arizona, one specific session included only the owners.

Unusual but not unprecedented, the owners-only meeting (technically an executive session of the Finance and Compensation Committees) focused in part on discussions regarding Commissioner Roger Goodell’s next contract and succession planning, based on a potential transition that would be initiated by Goodell after the next labor deal and TV contracts are finalized. The owners-only meeting also included an opportunity for any and all owners to speak about any and all topics they chose.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones spoke extensively during the meeting, per a source with direct knowledge of the session. As a source close to Jones explained it to PFT, Jones knows from experience that most of the membership will choose not to speak up in those situations. Jones decided to introduce topics about which he and other owners have questions or concerns.

Florio suggests a larger group of owners reviewing Goodell's compensation might want to reduce it.

Apparently marijuana usage and off-field investigations were also raised by Jones.

Irsay agreed about marijuana usage, and escalated by proposing cocaine be allowed as well (just kidding).

I commented on the article over there. My point was if my boss told me they wanted to take away some of my authority and reduce my pay, but they still supported me, I don't expect I would be there too long.

I commented on the article over there. My point was if my boss told me they wanted to take away some of my authority and reduce my pay, but they still supported me, I don't expect I would be there too long.

But let's just say that your true aptitude, skillsets, and education make being a manager of 7/11 your most likely next stop if you left your gig as comish...You'd probably take the paycut from 40 million to 30 million to do even less.

My initial hopes on reading the headline (that they were discussing firing Douchebag) were quickly dispatched to the Land of Same old NYJFL as soon as i read that Jerrah was leading the discussion, topped off by the disgust of hearing they could even consider extending the moron -whether that be at $10/year or $10M (or $30m) a year. The owners are flat out clueless & living in their own world!!!

As long as Goodell continues to try to destroy his personal "Death Star" in Foxboro, he can do no wrong..

They love him for that and can overlook the rest of his incompetent boobiness..

As long as Goodell continues to try to destroy his personal "Death Star" in Foxboro, he can do no wrong..

They love him for that and can overlook the rest of his incompetent boobiness..

Yep. Money talks and as long as the NFL is profitable, he's safe. But if the NFL continues to lose ratings and, thus, the ability to bend networks over the table come contract time, his noose will get tighter and tighter.

Can't believe that the 32 constantly fall for the "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" logic fallacy, attributing the league's successful financial growth to Goodell's ministrations. Who here could not do a better job? Simpeltons excepted.

On a related note, Michael Hurley takes a sarcastic look at the owners-only meeting and compensation for Goodell.

Report: Some NFL Owners Think Roger Goodell Needs To Take A Pay Cut

Roger Stokoe Goodell is but a simple man, one who grew up with the simple dream of being the commissioner of the National Football League. (Seriously, as a junior in college he determined that his career path would lead to him being the NFL’s commissioner.) He achieved that dream job, and yet, given all of the negative attention that’s been heaped upon him since taking the job in 2006, one has to wonder if living his dream has been worthwhile.

That is, of course, until one remembers the man’s salary.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft