PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has got to be a dream for Brady. A front office committed to winning another chip and doing everything in its power to make it happen while we waste another year of Cam. The juxtaposition is surreal today.
I know it's water under the bridge but I didn't get how nonchalant NE were with Brady the last few years. In 2019, I don't know why they weren't going all in. They built an all time defense but gave crumbs to the offense. To me it looked like the SB window was closing. But to BB, he was acting like winning a SB is easy so I won't worry if we lose this year cause there is next year.

Cam doesn't have it anymore so I actually like the signing cause NE needs to draft a couple more years in the top 15. They are not going to find a Devin White, Vea, Suh at the bottom of the draft.

I know it's water under the bridge but I didn't get how nonchalant NE were with Brady the last few years. In 2019, I don't know why they weren't going all in. They built an all time defense but gave crumbs to the offense. To me it looked like the SB window was closing. But to BB, he was acting like winning a SB is easy so I won't worry if we lose this year cause there is next year.

Cam doesn't have it anymore so I actually like the signing cause NE needs to draft a couple more years in the top 15. They are not going to find a Devin White, Vea, Suh at the bottom of the draft.
It is stunning to see the commitment the Bucs have made to Tom in every way from his contract to building the team to his specifications to letting him coach. Watching them sign back all their key FAs to make a run the next couple of years is pretty cool as I do want to see Brady to continue to succeed. Why Bill was so eager to push him out and treat him like a declining QB back in 2018 makes zero sense.

I agree about the Pats being in a long rebuild so at this point I am all in on the pirate ship.

Last edited:
It is stunning to see the commitment the Bucs have made to Tom in every way from his contract to building the team to his specifications to letting him coach. Watching them sign back all their key FAs to make a run the next couple of years is pretty cool as I do want to see Brady to continue to succeed. Why Bill was so eager to push him out and treat him like a declining QB back in 2018 makes zero sense.

I agree about the Pats being in a long rebuild so at this point I am all in on the pirate ship.
It's stunning because that type of commitment and all in mentality is what many of us expected NE to give Brady in his final years. TB is treating each year as possibly Brady's last year and going for the SB. It is exactly how I envisioned it for Brady only in NE.

2019 failure on offense was not because they didn't go all in, it was because Bill built it on a bunch of gambles that didn't pay off.

Josh Gordon, couldn't stay clean.

1st Rd pick Wr was a bust and Harry wasn't a reach because it was widely reported that Arizona wanted him at #33. Harry had the size and in college was good after the catch. I still wanted AJ Brown over him but didn't hate the pick at the time.

Demarius Thomas had nagging injuries, looked good in the final preseason game but became a casualty when AB became available.

AB enough said.

Phillip Dorset looked great as the #4 option but failed when needed to do more.

Injuries to the Oline also played a role.

Just watch the first few games of the season and you see a much more competent offense then what was on the field later on.

Some Brady contract info that I find very interesting:

1st Rd pick Wr was a bust and Harry wasn't a reach because it was widely reported that Arizona wanted him at #33.
It really doesn't matter who was "rumored" to take him, it doesn't mean you should take him. There was also a rumor the 49ers were going to take him. He was a massive reach considering the guys he leapfrogged over. He was consistently rated about the 5th WR on the board and he went 2nd. His "stock" went up when he matched Metcalf's reps in the bench press and I remember hearing buzz a day before the draft that he was a guy to look out for. I thought he'd go in the late first round, but not over AJ Brown, Metcalf and Samuel.

Most Draft rankings:
1st tier Hollywood Brown and Metcalf
2nd tier AJ Brown and Samuel
3rd tier Harry

It is all about culture. Brady brought that with him. Winning mentality. Family mentality. Push together towards a common goal. No egos. I wonder where Tom learned that ;)
his sisters? you know the all-american D1 pitcher...Brady grew up as the "little bro" commonly referred to as the Brady sister's little brother. if you understand the competitive spirit of the youngest in a family of hyper performers, you would understand these attributes were inherent in him. Obv being in NE and having BB aligned with his rise to ascension to the top

It really doesn't matter who was "rumored" to take him, it doesn't mean you should take him. There was also a rumor the 49ers were going to take him. He was a massive reach considering the guys he leapfrogged over. He was consistently rated about the 5th WR on the board and he went 2nd. His "stock" went up when he matched Metcalf's reps in the bench press and I remember hearing buzz a day before the draft that he was a guy to look out for. I thought he'd go in the late first round, but not over AJ Brown, Metcalf and Samuel.

Most Draft rankings:
1st tier Hollywood Brown and Metcalf
2nd tier AJ Brown and Samuel
3rd tier Harry
And yet Metcalf went after all those guys. Point was Bill tried and failed to help the offense. And as I said, I was super high on AJ Brown and was pissed he wasn't drafted.

And yet Metcalf went after all those guys. Point was Bill tried and failed to help the offense. And as I said, I was super high on AJ Brown and was pissed he wasn't drafted.
I get why teams were scared off on Metcalf due to route running concerns, neck injury and whether he's just a "workout warrior". AJ Brown and Samuel, not so much.

2019 failure on offense was not because they didn't go all in, it was because Bill built it on a bunch of gambles that didn't pay off.

Josh Gordon, couldn't stay clean.

1st Rd pick Wr was a bust and Harry wasn't a reach because it was widely reported that Arizona wanted him at #33. Harry had the size and in college was good after the catch. I still wanted AJ Brown over him but didn't hate the pick at the time.

Demarius Thomas had nagging injuries, looked good in the final preseason game but became a casualty when AB became available.

AB enough said.

Phillip Dorset looked great as the #4 option but failed when needed to do more.

Injuries to the Oline also played a role.

Just watch the first few games of the season and you see a much more competent offense then what was on the field later on.
That's what I mean, BB took a gamble and crossed his fingers that it would work out. BB didn't go out and get Brady a sure performer but a bunch of guys in the discount bin who were on sale for a reason. He wouldn't even pay Amendola 5 mil a year even after all the times he was clutch in the playoffs.

Godwin is a 16 million luxury but TB franchised him for Brady. If 1 or 2 of Evan's, Godwin, AB, Miller, Gronk, OJ, and Brate goes down, they would still be a top talent skill position group. I didn't want them to franchise Godwin cause there is already enough talent but they did anyways. That's the kind of all in mentality I'm talking about. Something that was very lacking in BB laikadaisy attitude in 2019.

Last edited:
That's what I mean, BB took a gamble and crossed his fingers that it would work out. BB didn't go out and get Brady a sure performer but a bunch of guys in the discount bin who were on sale for a reason. He wouldn't even pay Amendola 5 mil a year even after all the times he was clutch in the playoffs.

Godwin is a 16 million luxury but TB franchised him for Brady. If 1 or 2 of Evan's, Godwin, AB, Miller, Gronk, OJ, and Brate goes down, they would still be a top talent skill position group. I didn't want them to franchise Godwin cause there is already enough talent but they did anyways. That's the kind of all in mentality I'm talking about. Something that was very lacking in BB laikadaisy attitude in 2019.

Bill the GM is why we have one of the least talented teams last year and a large part of why brady is gone. Letting all those guys go and whiffing on their replacements left the cupboard bare.

And sadly a year later it is still bare and we are waiting with fingers crossed he will improve the talent on the team.

Brady is a great team player. It’s hard to find such people these days. When star players get all the monies it’s hard to resign solid talent.
At this point in his career Brady just wants to keep building his legacy. He still getting paid long term, but his goal is to keep winning more and more championships and showing everyone outside of NE that he was never a system QB.

Oldest guy in the league and still playing at a high level. It shows also how much he invests in his body, his workout routine works for him and obviously he has been durable throughout the whole season. We saw what happened to Manning in Denver, became noodle arm after half the season.

It would be very hard to see someone play at a high level like Brady ever again this late in their career.
Don’t be surprised to see the likes of Rodgers finally slowing down next.

It would be very hard to see someone play at a high level like Brady ever again this late in their career.
Don’t be surprised to see the likes of Rodgers finally slowing down next.
Idk, he's dedicated to staying in shape during the offseason.

Es8A0vNWMAQRvru.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back