PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody concludes:

1) This is more schematic diversity and better run game play-calling than I've seen in a long time on tape for the Bucs.

2) Within that all of that schematic diversity, this is the best execution I've seen by all the guys up front in a long time for the Bucs.

3) Some of these were certainly Run Checks by Brady, but I'm not paying a ton of attention to that. Its clear that Brady does a good job of getting us into advantageous positions in the run game.

4) Wirfs run game tape is just so impressive. He's Reaching a 5T in Outside Zone like its nothing and winning, he's blowing iDL off the ball and caving them in in Man, he's climbing 2nd level with pace, balance, and great angle of attack and winning against LBs

It's early in the season still, obviously, but that Bucs OL/Te grouping is playing as myself, and most Bucs fans I've discussed it with, expected.

• Gronk and Howard are a big help in the running game as TEs
  • OL issues rest mostly at LT and RG

Again, it's just two games, but so far Wirf and Winfield have been home run picks. Obviously, that can change and they can be exposed, but it's promising when rookies start off looking as good as the two of them do.

I said the Saints were a 12+ win team. So, naturally, they look like they're going to lose tonight.
Not a bad prediction as they are a solid team but Brees cannot throw anymore. His arm looks completely shot. I was over on their forum and diehard Brees fans want him replaced by Hill or Winston. It's amazing that Brady is 2 years older than him and can still sling it.

It's only been 2 weeks. Give it time. Brady has not thrown much to any of the TEs yet given all his WRs and RBs. It will come.

we will see. It was more telling to me that Arians said that teams arent paying attention to gronkowski and yet hes still not getting open. I never got the "gronk is back!" hot takes when they signed him. because his last season he was already running in molasses and had his worst statistical season. but I expected more than 2 catches for 11 yards after 2 games...

I’m starting to see Brady’s choice of Tampa Bay come into clearer focus...

• Brees is done after this year. His arm is shot and has been very concerning for awhile, but now it is really bad. He was going to retire this offseason but Jan Brady’d into a return when the Saints were going to sign Tom.
  • Meanwhile the Saints have been all-in for the last few years kicking cap hits down the road. This team had their 3-4 year window (maybe they can compete one last year) and will be a bad team in the near future.
  • Atlanta and Carolina are not going to be good for a long time.
  • The NFC a few years ago was the much tougher conference. However, the AFC has gained Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Allen, Herbert, and seen big improvement from Tannehill. Newton has switched conferences. Also have Carr, Mayfield, Rivers and Minshew. Not a lot of easy outs anymore. The NFC now has a lot more QB problems than the AFC.

we will see. It was more telling to me that Arians said that teams arent paying attention to gronkowski and yet hes still not getting open. I never got the "gronk is back!" hot takes when they signed him. because his last season he was already running in molasses and had his worst statistical season. but I expected more than 2 catches for 11 yards after 2 games...
Not sure they need Gronk to be the same receiving threat he was in NE. They have other TEs and receiving talent everywhere else. Gronk has been a beast in the run game which is just as valuable as we learned in 2018 when he helped anchor our run game all the way to the chip.

I’m starting to see Brady’s choice of Tampa Bay come into clearer focus...

• Brees is done after this year. His arm is shot and has been very concerning for awhile, but now it is really bad. He was going to retire this offseason but Jan Brady’d into a return when the Saints were going to sign Tom.
  • Meanwhile the Saints have been all-in for the last few years kicking cap hits down the road. This team had their 3-4 year window (maybe they can compete one last year) and will be a bad team in the near future.
  • Atlanta and Carolina are not going to be good for a long time.
  • The NFC a few years ago was the much tougher conference. However, the AFC has gained Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Allen, Herbert, and seen big improvement from Tannehill. Newton has switched conferences. Also have Carr, Mayfield, Rivers and Minshew. Not a lot of easy outs anymore. The NFC now has a lot more QB problems than the AFC.
These are all great points but I don't think Brady was "trying" to get out of the AFC. I think he was looking for a very specific set of criteria for himself at age 43:
1) Team with talented offensive skill players
2) Coaching staff he felt comfortable with
3) Warm weather
4) Decent contract that paid him what he felt he was worth

Also, something else to consider. Peyton Manning mentioned he was surprised that Brady went to the NFC because he has played his whole career in the AFC and knows those teams so well. He only plays the NFC divisions once every four years. Manning had said it was paramount to him when he left Indy to stay in the AFC for this reason.

Wow. Strong comments from Brady. I do wonder if this season goes well for the Bucs if they offer to extend Brady next year and allow him to have a contract through age 45 or 46. That would be pretty cool and historic.

Wow. Strong comments from Brady. I do wonder if this season goes well for the Bucs if they offer to extend Brady next year and allow him to have a contract through age 45 or 46. That would be pretty cool and historic.

I don't know everything that went on behind the scenes, but it seems like Tom's confusing "being wanted" and "getting special treatment" here in NE. As we know, Belichick will not give special treatment to anyone. Maybe he felt entitled to get a long term contract until age 45 and maybe he felt that his trainer was entitled to be a Patriots employee or that he was entitled to all pro receivers...

Last edited:

Ryan Izzo has more catches and more yards after 2 games... o_O

I don't know everything that went on behind the scenes, but it seems like Tom's confusing "being wanted" and "getting special treatment" here in NE. As we know, Belichick will not give special treatment to anyone. Maybe he felt entitled to get a long term contract until age 45 and maybe he felt that his trainer was entitled to be a Patriots employee or that he was entitled to all pro receivers...
Right, you dont know everything but you ALWAYS finish up with a take that makes him look bad. You never finish with anything that gives him any benefit of the doubt.

Right, you dont know everything but you ALWAYS finish up with a take that makes him look bad. You never finish with anything that gives him any benefit of the doubt.

I'm not giving Brady or Belichick the benefit of the doubt because I don't know what happened. But realize the other players seem to be happy here, especially Cam. Brady (via his wife) was the one who was whining about being treated like Johnny Foxboro, when everyone on the team was treated like Johnny Foxboro...

These are all great points but I don't think Brady was "trying" to get out of the AFC. I think he was looking for a very specific set of criteria for himself at age 43:
3) Warm weather

Also, something else to consider. Peyton Manning mentioned he was surprised that Brady went to the NFC because he has played his whole career in the AFC and knows those teams so well. He only plays the NFC divisions once every four years. Manning had said it was paramount to him when he left Indy to stay in the AFC for this reason.
Two teams in the division play in domes? Check

More interesting is the rotation for NFC South the next three years:

Code:
Year    Interconf.  Intraconf.
2020    AFC West    NFC North
2021    AFC East    NFC East
2022    AFC North   NFC West

So, another Mahomes/Brady match this year, plus Rodgers/Brady II.
Next year they play the Pats as well as the NFC Least.

3) Warm weather

I don't know about all these criteria...he was reported to have been interested in Chicago, which does not meet factors 1 and 3.

I want him to do well and go out on top. I think this may be it for him even though he'll be on the same page as the offensive players next year.

You see some velocity missing on outs to the left side, and that's more about stiffness in his lower body than it is a problem with his arm.

I want him to do well and go out on top. I think this may be it for him even though he'll be on the same page as the offensive players next year.

You see some velocity missing on outs to the left side, and that's more about stiffness in his lower body than it is a problem with his arm.
Hence three picks I can remember on throws like that:

1. SB 53
2. Week 17 last year
3. Week 1 this year

Again, it's just two games, but so far Wirf and Winfield have been home run picks. Obviously, that can change and they can be exposed, but it's promising when rookies start off looking as good as the two of them do.
Wirfs looks a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes