PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works perfectly well. The Dolphins suck, you are acting like we beat the Chiefs.

Not at all. Lots to be excited about regardless of opponent. It looked like a well prepared Belichick coached win by a team that had a lot of personnel turnover, no preseason, no minicamps, no legit contact and an abbreviated preparation leading up to the season. They still have a long way to improve but it's a great start.

In other words - the same things being said to justify Brady's performance yesterday.

It works perfectly well. The Dolphins suck, you are parading about acting like we beat the Chiefs.

the dolphins are not the chiefs, but by the end of this season, i think you'll see them as a very much middle of the pack team....although that could depend on when they hand the QB job over to the rook........but this is a much better team than some are saying, and this was a decent win against a divisional opponent......and let's not act like NO had their act together, either.....D looked good, but the NO offense and Brees in particular was clearly functioning on a pre-season level as well.......at this stage of the game there's only a couple elite teams and a couple duds, and everyone else who is still figuring out who they are....the pats, saints, dolphins and tampa are all in that large middle contingent, although NO is probably the best of that bunch.......but the gap isn't as great as some want to make it

The next 3 games are winnable but you can’t play undisciplined football and the O line has to play better. That goes for brady as well.

How did Brady do last year against the same Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Dolphins in a much more important game?

He put up 3 more points than Cam Newton :ninja:

Including putting the Pats up by 4 points with less than 4 min left in the game. Then the Boogeymen let Fitzpatrick drive down the field for a game winning TD.:eek:

One of the PFT comments got my attention and tbh it felt the same way to me. I never thought the Saints were really in jeopardy of losing that game even when it was closer in the second half.

1600101510759.png

People are making way too much about the opening weekend games, especially in a weird year without preseason games.

Both teams will experience huge growing pains.

We played a QB yesterday who has gone on fire in the past and has actually looked like the best QB in the league over a 2 game window.

Last year whe Brady was complaining about the offense and the Patriots were undefeated or 10-1 or whatever it was, no one thought the wheels would come off the way they did.

What I'm trying to say, anyone can look like the greatest (Fitz) over a short time span. Or even half a season. Quality is shown by extending that greatness into the most crucial games of the season or playoffs.

Cam is definitely going to improve as he learns the offense. Brady was not on the same page as his teammates, but those accurate downfield throws show he still has the arm to be a threat if he can get it together. Part of me thinks he should be more concerned with getting on the same page with the offensive coaches rather than his teammates.

Also remember, Peyton Manning looked like gunk when he took over in Denver, but then he told the offensive coaches to let him play the way he plays, and he had a historic run of games as soon as they let Peyton be Peyton.

I'd like Brady to do well, but at what point do we accept that this may be what brady is now? Still a very good QB, but not the guy to carry the team on his arm. Honestly his game yesterday was nothing different than we have seen the last 2 years. Only difference is last 2 years we blamed the lack of receivers, and now we are blaming that it is a new team.

maybe he gets it together and tosses 3-4 TD's a week. Or maybe he has flashes of greatness, some good games, some bad games....afterall he is 43 years old. All I know is if he keeps taking hits like he did yesterday he might end up getting hurt. But that's bruce arians offense...

He put up 3 more points than Cam Newton :ninja:

Including putting the Pats up by 4 points with less than 4 min left in the game. Then the Boogeymen let Fitzpatrick drive down the field for a game winning TD.:eek:

He also put up more points for the other team than Cam did. ;) Looked up his passing stats from that game - he went 16-29, 221 YDS, 2 TD and of course the pick 6. Not exactly numbers worth remembering.

People are making way too much about the opening weekend games, especially in a weird year without preseason games.

Both teams will experience huge growing pains.

We played a QB yesterday who has gone on fire in the past and has actually looked like the best QB in the league over a 2 game window.

Last year whe Brady was complaining about the offense and the Patriots were undefeated or 10-1 or whatever it was, no one thought the wheels would come off the way they did.

What I'm trying to say, anyone can look like the greatest (Fitz) over a short time span. Or even half a season. Quality is shown by extending that greatness into the most crucial games of the season or playoffs.

Cam is definitely going to improve as he learns the offense. Brady was not on the same page as his teammates, but those accurate downfield throws show he still has the arm to be a threat if he can get it together. Part of me thinks he should be more concerned with getting on the same page with the offensive coaches rather than his teammates.

Also remember, Peyton Manning looked like gunk when he took over in Denver, but then he told the offensive coaches to let him play the way he plays, and he had a historic run of games as soon as they let Peyton be Peyton.

I agree. The Pats are entering a 3 game gauntlet right now and we'll see how good they really are when they come out of it. Even the Raiders put up a lot of points yesterday so they won't be a shoo-in.

Also Peyton was 7 years younger than Brady was. I wouldn't count on history repeating itself. The Brady we saw yesterday is a lot closer to reality for a 43 year old.

I figured this thread would draw out the hardos but I dint think they'd be this dense.
Don’t underestimate there are some very entitled people here who when they don’t like a thread will troll it to hell to force the mods hands. It’s all about them

I'd like Brady to do well, but at what point do we accept that this may be what brady is now? Still a very good QB, but not the guy to carry the team on his arm. Honestly his game yesterday was nothing different than we have seen the last 2 years. Only difference is last 2 years we blamed the lack of receivers, and now we are blaming that it is a new team.

maybe he gets it together and tosses 3-4 TD's a week. Or maybe he has flashes of greatness, some good games, some bad games....afterall he is 43 years old. All I know is if he keeps taking hits like he did yesterday he might end up getting hurt. But that's bruce arians offense...
That point isn’t week 1 on a new team after a a highly modifier off season

That point isn’t week 1 on a new team after a a highly modifier off season

And that didn't seem to bother Cam for some reason. Weird....

One of the PFT comments got my attention and tbh it felt the same way to me. I never thought the Saints were really in jeopardy of losing that game even when it was closer in the second half.

View attachment 28598

I think that globally Tom has still got hit. But at 43, I don’t think Brady has the arm strength to throw outside the number like that anymore. On the other end, I thought his downfield throws were spot on. There was 3 or 4 DPI on balls down the field where the TB WR would have catch it without the interference. Scotty Miller has the potential to become his Edelman in TB.

A stat line of 27/40 324 2 TD 2 INT is a little bit different.

If it look the same at midseason, I’ll be worried. Exactly the same, I am cautious with the Patriots because I think it is not sustainable to run Cam 15 times a games. So I’ll wait and see.

Now THIS is exactly the point when it comes to "Brady/BB which one?".It was NEVER that argument. As you can see, Brady is still able to perform at an NFL level BUT the coaching disparity between the Pats and the Bucs IS the difference. I said it before I'll say it again...I'm extremely happy BB is OUR coach. Imagine if we had THIS stooge coaching Tampa....the Bucs have been severely outcoached today...hope Tom and Gronk enjoy the lack of discipline and game planning this season...by the end of the year I'm betting they miss the greatest coach in NFL history
Completely on point.
I'm in the root for Brady camp, but I felt that his his pre-season remarks "Football is fun again!" would come back on him. I just didn't realize how much so, and in the very first game.
Aside from Miller, he has no demonstrable synergy with his Oh So Talented WR corps.
NO has a top coach, Tamper not so much.
Looks as if Tommy Boy will be chasing 1st place NO all season. Not sure how much "fun" it will be watching the air go out of the winning the division and into the playoffs balloon.

I think that globally Tom has still got hit. But at 43, I don’t think Brady has the arm strength to throw outside the number like that anymore. On the other end, I thought his downfield throws were spot on. There was 3 or 4 DPI on balls down the field where the TB WR would have catch it without the interference. Scotty Miller has the potential to become his Edelman in TB.

If it look the same at midseason, I’ll be worried. Exactly the same, I am cautious with the Patriots because I think it is not sustainable to run Cam 15 times a games. So I’ll wait and see.

Belichick said that number is skewed because some of those were RPO option plays and not designed runs. I wouldn't expect a repeat of that very often if at all.

I think that stat line for Brady includes quite a few garbage time yards so I wouldn't read much into it. Looked better at least on paper than he had earlier in the game.

Also Peyton was 7 years younger than Brady was. I wouldn't count on history repeating itself. The Brady we saw yesterday is a lot closer to reality for a 43 year old.

I was just coming to say something like this but Jesus I didn’t remember that he was seven years younger. Holy crap.

I tend to agree you can’t judge much in the first game and you need time for the situation to gel but I think time is not something Tom has the luxury of at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

Do you mean last year? Because the year before that, he looked like the same old Brady to me. Especially in the playoffs. He was on fire.

People emphasize the lack of weapons for Brady last year, and that was a problem, as it's going to be a problem for Cam this year.

BUT I would argue an even bigger problem last year was the offensive line. Consider, only Thuney was healthy. Wynn was out most of the year, we had Marshall Newhouse at tackle. Andrews was on IR. Shaq Mason played with a really bad injury all year and wasn't himself. Even Cannon was injured.

This year the only question is RT but at least we are prepared there with bodies and don't need to sign couch potatoes like Newhouse. The OL wasa tremendous problem last year.

As for Brady and Tampa, it's all on Tom and the coaches. The throws he made downfield yesterday showed that his arm strength and touch is still there. He made like 5 pinpoint throws 30+ yards downfield. Otherwise, the INTs are a result of not being on the same page. No one knows if they can get that together, but of all the things to worry about with a 43 year old QB, the last would be knowing the playbook/reading defenses.

Same goes for a QB with Cam's experience. He will just get better as the year goes on.

Last edited:

The arm strength was there especially on the throws you mentioned downfield.

He made a huge error throwing that out and it wasn't a matter of arm strength. There was more than one defender there sitting on that. A horrible decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back