PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it. And I feel bad that it seems as if I'm slamming your work. That's not my intention, as I fully understand the Sisyphean nature of the task you've taken on. And, on that note, I'll bow out of this portion of the thread discussion.

Hope you’ll join in the dedicated thread. I haven’t thought you were slamming the project...your ideas are good.

Last edited:
Okay - latest iteration of the Hall of Fame monitor. To clarify, the Hall of Fame monitor is not my subjective rankings...rather, it is solely a measurement tool to rank Hall of Fame worthiness or likliness based on actual past selections, with numerical weight assigned to input data. A lot of my rankings I've posted have been tied to this idea, which is an attempt to rank while and also being tied to the Hall of Fame "definition" of greatness. So this is, in a way, an objective measure...not of greatness but of the Hall voters definition of greatness. The true test of it is: how far down the list can you go before your Hall of Fame criteria differs from actual Hall of Fame results assuming you are applying the exact same formula to every single player? The only thing that matters here is a consistent "Yes/No" based on the score.

I was able to grow the list to 52 players before running into Joe Namath at #53, a Hall of Famer who doesn't hit the required scores (f*ck you, New York media) or a guy who hits the required scores but isn't in the Hall of Fame. After Namath, you get to Benny Friedman and Jimmy Conzleman at 59/60, though those two are old-timers with some murky information (I don't have Conzleman's passer rating, and I believe he was elected also for his coaching/ownership.)

Anyway, this will be the end of the Hall of Fame adjusting, as I think this model is as close as you can get to measuring the all of the input data and spitting out whether or not the player is in Hall of Fame territory. Previously, Warren Moon and George Blanda were very far down the list, so I looked at why this happened and created another measure called "Moon Score" which allowed me to give some more weight to when a player has the longevity and the pro bowl selections but is being underranked for long-term excellence. It sounds easy, but remember, when you apply this to some, you apply to all, so they had to leapfrog 10-15 players each, and those guys weren't rewarded as much by the formula, and the the other 37 Hall of Famers on the list were relatively unaffected by this adjustment, besides some a few small flips and the notable change at the top (Montana/Manning.)

Actual Hall of Famers are in gold; active players are in blue (and bold blue for retired but not eligible yet.) I also adjusted the cutoff to 10 just because it seems more logical.

I might create a thread on the main board...wanted to test it out in this thread first...I think as a HoF monitor, it's a finished product. As an actual ranker...the debate never ends.

View attachment 30843
Good work, are you laid off from work? That's a lot of time you put into that.

I think this thread alone has more posts in it when compared to any Buccaneers fan forum on the internet..

Seems about right. The NFL is not the NBA, though Brady has sort of made it seem as if it is.

Good idea making a QB ranking discussion thread. I've been looking forward to one of those for a while since I value the opinions of certain posters on this site regarding that subject more than other places.

JJ Watt = Shaquille O’Neal (Celtics edition)
I saw comments saying he went to a team with a great chance to win. I guess you can say that if you look at it a certain way, since the Cardinals will more than likely be a playoff team. But to me that definition means a team with a good shot to win their conference and the Cardinals aren't that IMO. He could have taken 10-12 million from a team like Buffalo or Green Bay if he truly wanted to win at this point.

Good idea making a QB ranking discussion thread. I've been looking forward to one of those for a while since I value the opinions of certain posters on this site regarding that subject more than other places.
I'm hoping people will contribute to it, both with debates and with helpful suggestions for IIB. You never know how technical/analytical threads are going to go around here. In the earlier days, they were more likely to get significant run than they are today.

Kliff Kingsbury is still the head coach of the Cards, right? I'd put a "zock" in the mouth of that "playoffs!" idea. Under his tenure the Cards have started gangbusters out of the gate and fallen off miserably as the season progresses. They lack discipline...severely.

I think this thread alone has more posts in it when compared to any Buccaneers fan forum on the internet..
Because of our knowledge of the NE system, Brady, and Gronk, the insights on this thread are leaps and bounds better than any Buccaneers forum.

People here knew what TB offense had to do to be better and more efficient, basically run a more predominantly Brady/NE type offense.

The Green Bay game had a lot of no risk it no biscuit plays which is great when it works, 3 TD in 1st half. Not so great when it doesn't, 3 int in 2nd half. GB had no business being un it in the 4th Q.

The SB game was all Brady/Pats type offense. Super efficient and in the 2nd half they were on cruise control and barely breaking a sweat.

Because of our knowledge of the NE system, Brady, and Gronk, the insights on this thread are leaps and bounds better than any Buccaneers forum.

People here knew what TB offense had to do to be better and more efficient, basically run a more predominantly Brady/NE type offense.

The Green Bay game had a lot of no risk it no biscuit plays which is great when it works, 3 TD in 1st half. Not so great when it doesn't, 3 int in 2nd half. GB had no business being un it in the 4th Q.

The SB game was all Brady/Pats type offense. Super efficient and in the 2nd half they were on cruise control and barely breaking a sweat.
This has been by far the best thread on the Bucs anywhere precisely for the reasons you listed. It was pretty cool to see them morph the offense into the Patriot offense with the explosive plays built it. It was something to watch in the post-season. You forgot to mention the Saints game which also was a very methodical game like the SB. They just fell behind early but Brady was a surgeon in that game and capitalizing on every single turnover. It was after that game that I knew the Bucs had a real shot at the Lombardi.

The Bucs forums all suck, unfortunately. I wish every team had great, well-trafficked forums but, sadly, that's nowhere near the case.

The Bucs forums all suck, unfortunately. I wish every team had great, well-trafficked forums but, sadly, that's nowhere near the case.
Would be interested in hearing folks thoughts about the best fan forums out there. I used to visit Colts.com back in the day and it was a great place but now it is a ghost town since Manning left and Luck retired. I like the Saints forum as well. The Orangemane is good for laughs especially these days given how butt hurt they over the Chiefs success. Chiefsplanet is of course a cesspool but there are some good posters over there.

Would be interested in hearing folks thoughts about the best fan forums out there. I used to visit Colts.com back in the day and it was a great place but now it is a ghost town since Manning left and Luck retired. I like the Saints forum as well. The Orangemane is good for laughs especially these days given how butt hurt they over the Chiefs success. Chiefsplanet is of course a cesspool but there are some good posters over there.
Saints forum is good. Most of them seem like decent posters but there are a few salty Brady haters and it's hilarious to read their cope.

I've only visited the Cowboys once or twice but that seemed good also.

I'm probably (OK I AM) biased but I spent years surfing football forums all over the country. IMO the old Miami Herald board and Soothsayer's (Sootsprayer) Jets Insider board were the only two worth a dyam. The past decade I've stopped caring what yahoos have to say on enemy boards.If it's worth an autopsy it ends up here anyway. Patsfans is the best because the owner and moderator is the best in the business, and has been since the late 20th century.

I'm probably (OK I AM) biased but I spent years surfing football forums all over the country. IMO the old Miami Herald board and Soothsayer's (Sootsprayer) Jets Insider board were the only two worth a dyam. The past decade I've stopped caring what yahoos have to say on enemy boards.If it's worth an autopsy it ends up here anyway. Patsfans is the best because the owner and moderator is the best in the business, and has been since the late 20th century.
The Jets used to have 2 forums that were qualityish (at least for Jets fans). Naturally, it being Jets related, both forums **** the bed, for different reasons. Jets Insider is dead in all but name. Gang Green a/k/a Gangrene still lives, but it's a shell of its former self.

It’s hard to keep an active community when you haven’t won a playoff game in 18 years and in all but one season you haven’t gotten close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back