PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weak is an understatement. They are the worst in the nfl.

If Dunlap and Adams can get pressure on Brady then it'll help out their CBs a lot.

Really the only silver lining here is that the new playoff format makes the result a little less devastating. Sure, the Saints or Bucs had a chance at the #1 seed, but chances are they’re both playing wild card weekend and needing to win 4 playoff games. Add in the limited HFA with Covid and you’re not talking about the same type of monumental disadvantage as last year. But the Bucs are going nowhere.

My guess is they fire Arians and hire McDaniels next season. Not that I think Josh is a great coach, but I just expect this to happen.

They’re exactly what we thought they’d be, only more talented (league leading DVOA by a wide margin.) They’re a typical Arians boom-or-bust team. Look no further than their results against Green Bay and New Orleans. To have three absolute blowouts when facing other strong teams isn’t a fluke but the quintessential Bruce Arians experience.

????

The Saints have had ONE complete game this year and that was yesterday. Everything else was pretty average, handed to them by incompetent opponents (e.g. Bears or the first game against the Bucs) or a loss. Payton/Brees are not even close to being the best QB/coach duo in the league.
Would anyone take the Brees/Payton combo over mahomes/Reid?

Really the only silver lining here is that the new playoff format makes the result a little less devastating. Sure, the Saints or Bucs had a chance at the #1 seed, but chances are they’re both playing wild card weekend and needing to win 4 playoff games. Add in the limited HFA with Covid and you’re not talking about the same type of monumental disadvantage as last year. But the Bucs are going nowhere.

My guess is they fire Arians and hire McDaniels next season. Not that I think Josh is a great coach, but I just expect this to happen.

They’re exactly what we thought they’d be, only more talented (league leading DVOA by a wide margin.) They’re a typical Arians boom-or-bust team. Look no further than their results against Green Bay and New Orleans. To have three absolute blowouts when facing other strong teams isn’t a fluke but the quintessential Bruce Arians experience.

Isn’t it 3 games? Just win 3 and get to the super bowl. The bye team just have to win 2. If the Bucs don’t win a playoff game it will be a failure of a season and i can see coaches getting canned.

Would anyone take the Brees/Payton combo over mahomes/Reid?

I would consider taking Payton over Reid, though it’s close. They are both incredible coaches who have been overshadowed by Belichick and not having the same QB play in the postseason (well, Reid does now.)

Mahomes is so much better than Brees, though, especially since Brees’s arm seems to whittle down to a stub every January.

Isn’t it 3 games? Just win 3 and get to the super bowl. The bye team just have to win 2. If the Bucs don’t win a playoff game it will be a failure of a season and i can see coaches getting canned.

There are 7 playoff teams this year, which means the 2 seed doesn't get a bye and has to play on wild card weekend. So every team other than the 1 seed has to win 4 playoff games.

Any reason why you’re not switching Wirfs to left tackle? Jesus, Donovan Smith sucks.

Yes it is

Reid may find a way to bumble his way out of the postseason most years but Mahomes the gap between Mahomes and Brees is miles long.
Exactly.

payton can scheme his way to an effective offense no question but he isn’t going to magically make Brees arm strong again to push the ball downfield.

Just an FYI. Good Morning America led with this sports story today. ABC not missing a chance to pile on Tom Brady. National news during a pandemic and election. They took significant time to highlight Drew Brees's *** whopping of Tom Brady.
Did they really? That's nuts.

There are 7 playoff teams this year, which means the 2 seed doesn't get a bye and has to play on wild card weekend. So every team other than the 1 seed has to win 4 playoff games.

I’m not counting the super bowl though. That would be 4 wins.

Just an FYI. Good Morning America led with this sports story today. ABC not missing a chance to pile on Tom Brady. National news during a pandemic and election. They took significant time to highlight Drew Brees's *** whopping of Tom Brady.

That's the risk you take with signing with TB after a stellar career in NE...you subject yourself to criticism if you don't win. He could have avoided all this, but he (and Gisele) wanted to stick it to Belichick for treating him like Johnny Foxboro...

That's the risk you take with signing with TB after a stellar career in NE...you subject yourself to criticism if you don't win. He could have avoided all this, but he (and Gisele) wanted to stick it to Belichick for treating him like Johnny Foxboro...

he is still winning and the season is not over. He had one of his worst game but it is not like he was the lone guy playing bad yesterday. The entire team played bad. He was in the MVP conversation until yesterday, it’s not like he is 2-7. They are 6-3, they are still in it.

Any reason why you’re not switching Wirfs to left tackle? Jesus, Donovan Smith sucks.

Where was most of the pressure coming from? Any inside pressure? I been saying that about smith. He stinks. Did the right side with wirfs give up pressure?

Where was most of the pressure coming from? Any inside pressure? I been saying that about smith. He stinks. Did the right side with wirfs give up pressure?
That dude isn't just bad, he's Marshall Newhouse level. Brady went from Newhouse to Smith as his LT and the transition is seamless.

Lol yeah all those superstars that were being held back by Brady are really flourishing now.
That's not the argument. Of course not every player Brady doesn't take a liking to is a superstar.

The argument is that his fixation and liking of certain players, and his seeming willingness to freeze out those he doesn't trust, could lead to lost production if open players are missed, and/or if covered players are forced.

I'm not sure if that narrative is actually true because I simply haven't looked at enough of the data / the film, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility based on Brady's previous comments and some film others have shown.

... and just to be clear, before I get jumped all over, Brady is the GOAT and there's no QB I'd rather have.

Last edited:
I wanted to jump through my TV and choke Toilet Bowles and his GD soft zone that was getting shredded all night long. Really, a soft zone vs Drew Brees?! Talk about incompetent coaching. Bucs OL is trash as well and Leftwich is clueless. TB is not a super bowl team. Oh well.

I wasn't paying that much attention after halftime, but it looked like all of the pressure was from isolating the tackles and destroying them.

Yeah, but that's not the argument. Of course not every player Brady doesn't take a liking to is a superstar.

The argument is that his fixation and liking of certain players, and his seeming willingness to freeze out those he doesn't trust, could lead to lost production if open players are missed, and/or if covered players are forced.

I'm not sure if that narrative is actually true because I simply haven't looked at the data (the film), but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility based on Brady's previous comments and some film others have shown.

And just to be clear, before I get jumped all over, Brady is the GOAT and there's no QB I'd rather have.
I'd say at this stage in his career he favors reliable and dependability. He gave meyers, Harry and the dud tight ends a chance. He favored Edelman because he was the only sure fire pass catcher on the team that knows how to do his job. Even Sanu got a lions share of the work last year. Last night he seemed to be forcing it to his old faithful players, but part of it was panic being down by such a large margin trying to make magic when his line couldn't pass protect.

I think there's some truth to what you're saying, but he tended to freeze out the players last year that didn't show much (Harry's fast tracking the bust label, the tight ends are jags and Sanu is absolutely done) and haven't done anything to shake that stigma this year either, except maybe Meyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back