PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL wanted Sam drafted, made deal w Rams, Fisher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCB02062

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
More pathetic crap from NFL... They had to have "the first openly gay player" (Sam) get drafted likely to appeal to the liberal Media, avoid criticism from the social justice Warriors, and ride a wave of PC publicity, so they cut a deal with the most media friendly and league suck up Jeff Fisher... . This is abhorrent....this is not about Sam being gay; it's about the NFL cutting deals w teams so certain players get drafted...yet the Patriots are screwed out of two high picks because air leaves footballs naturally when temps change....

Basically League wanted Sam drafted, Rams didn't want hard knocks, deal done....

Rams Made Deal With NFL To Draft Michael Sam To Not Film 'Hard Knocks,' Report Says

Pretty abhorrent for a number of reasons. One is that crass branding of LGBT rights isn't going to help the cause. Two is one, plus they had to know this would come out eventually and make Michael Sam look like a clown. I don't want to say this has "set LGBT right back" because that presupposes that Sam and the NFL meant much of anything in the broader scheme of things, but it's still egg in the face that never needed to be there.

Last edited:
Great job Roger.

yet the Patriots are screwed out of two high picks because air leaves footballs naturally when temps change....

Sorry to nit pick, but with the ordeal of the Deflategate witch hunt that we are having to endure we need to be correct with our language.

Air does not leave a football when temperature decreases, the pressure decreases as the temperature decreases, and increases as the temperature increases.

Last edited:
It's all about the money.

I thought it was a positive and important moment to see a gay man drafted into the league and am grateful that it happened. However, I can't say that I'm surprised that the story might have been manufactured by Goodell, as he gets the big bucks to put a happy face on the game and broaden the fan base. It's just another example that the NFL is run like a public relations company above all else.

Many suspected he was drafted for reasons other than talent ...
And there were many who also suspected he wasn't considered by many, many teams for reasons other than talent. He was a very effective player at Missouri, which is not a small school in small conference. The fact that it didn't work out for him in Canada indicates, at least to me, that there were multiple reasons why he didn't succeed as a pro, some his fault, others not. Bottom line: simply not good enough.

Many suspected he was drafted for reasons other than talent ...
Yeah. We were all called homophobes by the C.O.C. too. I did get a few good laughs at guys and girls that watched about 0 college football that Sam got drafted because of his talent. Anyone that watched college football or even SEC football knew that Sam wasn't going to make it at the next level. So yeah, this news isn't a surprise to me.

Yeah. We were all called homophobes by the C.O.C. too. I did get a few good laughs at guys and girls that watched about 0 college football that Sam got drafted because of his talent. Anyone that watched college football or even SEC football knew that Sam wasn't going to make it at the next level. So yeah, this news isn't a surprise to me.

You really never know if someone can make it to the next level until you give it a few years
Sams problem was listening to the storm about him being the first (agreeing to Oprah, the cake kiss, etc etc) He should have shut all that out, and made it about making in the NFL, I think the stress got to him

The truth doesn't have to be black or white here. E.g.
  • A concerned NFL makes calls to see if Sam is going to be drafted.
  • The Rams and perhaps some other teams say "He's on our board, but we're worried about distracting publicity."
  • The NFL says "How can we help you minimize that?"
  • The Rams say "For one thing, keep us off Hard Knocks."
  • The NFL says "No problem; we can promise you that if you draft him, you won't be on Hard Knocks."

Not EVERYTHING that involves Fisher, the NFL or both is evil and corrupt.

You really never know if someone can make it to the next level until you give it a few years
Sams problem was listening to the storm about him being the first (agreeing to Oprah, the cake kiss, etc etc) He should have shut all that out, and made it about making in the NFL, I think the stress got to him

Looking at it from a strictly football standpoint, Sam had red flags all over him as a prospect. At Missouri, he benefitted from having a good amount of talent surrounding him which meant that he faced one on one match-ups the majority of the time. He made his living as a DE with bull rushes and wasn't particularly stout against the run. Then came his combine numbers which weren't particularly impressive either. After that, you factor in the expected media circus that was going to be around whatever team picked him in TC and you have a very low likelihood that the Pats pull the trigger. That's why I was confused when people advocated taking him with a later round pick. I didn't see it from a strictly football standpoint.

The truth doesn't have to be black or white here. E.g.
  • A concerned NFL makes calls to see if Sam is going to be drafted.
  • The Rams and perhaps some other teams say "He's on our board, but we're worried about distracting publicity."
  • The NFL says "How can we help you minimize that?"
  • The Rams say "For one thing, keep us off Hard Knocks."
  • The NFL says "No problem; we can promise you that if you draft him, you won't be on Hard Knocks."

Not EVERYTHING that involves Fisher, the NFL or both is evil and corrupt.

While I see the rest of your bullet points and know that you're being sincere, I think the first bullet point alone is problematic. Why should the NFL be concerned that Sam is drafted? So he can be a symbol? A trophy? A figurehead? So they can avoid a black eye?

Sam should have been drafted on his football skills alone. It's just like any other job -- can you perform up to standards? Nothing else should really be a factor for GMs, unless it's criminal history or something that could prevent the prospect's availability to the team. His tape was mediocre, and his testing numbers rank among all time lows for his position. If I had been presented with just his tape and numbers and no other information, I would have removed him from my draft board (in fact, I did, in my own amateur draftnik way). Add to that a media storm, positive or negative, and I can see how many teams would just decide it's not worth the additional visibility.

EDIT: If you want to see on a graph how his numbers rate over the last fifteen years compared with other NFL hopefuls: Michael Sam - MockDraftable.com

More pathetic crap from NFL... They had to have "the first openly gay player" (Sam) get drafted likely to appeal to the liberal Media, avoid criticism from the social justice Warriors, and ride a wave of PC publicity, so they cut a deal with the most media friendly and league suck up Jeff Fisher... . This is abhorrent....this is not about Sam being gay; it's about the NFL cutting deals w teams so certain players get drafted...yet the Patriots are screwed out of two high picks because air leaves footballs naturally when temps change....

Basically League wanted Sam drafted, Rams didn't want hard knocks, deal done....

Rams Made Deal With NFL To Draft Michael Sam To Not Film 'Hard Knocks,' Report Says
I don't understand people that desire "the first X" at all. It's nice if someone is qualified and makes the grade due to their ability only.

But let's not allow "firsts" just for sake of seeing it happen.

I don't understand people that desire "the first X" at all. It's nice if someone is qualified and makes the grade due to their ability only.

But let's not allow "firsts" just for sake of seeing it happen.

It's somewhat insulting to a person's, well, personhood. I wouldn't want to be paraded around and hailed as the "first" of anything.

I'd call BS on this story.

1.)no way in hell BB decides to just not draft a dude because the league told him not to(apparently teh league told other teams not to draft a specfic player so that the rams got him as well, for drafting sam)

2.)After everything the league put BB through the last two years, NO WAY does he not **** with the league

3.) BB would totally ruin the goodell with this info.

I'd call BS on this story.

1.)no way in hell BB decides to just not draft a dude because the league told him not to(apparently teh league told other teams not to draft a specfic player so that the rams got him as well, for drafting sam)

2.)After everything the league put BB through the last two years, NO WAY does he not **** with the league

3.) BB would totally ruin the goodell with this info.
I don't see anything in the story that claims the league told other teams not to draft Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots