PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT looks like Jimmy G had a tough outing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reinforces the narrative about Brady being just another JAG, since scrubs like Cassel, Brisset and Garoppolo did so well in this "system."

I think I'll trust the many football people who thought Garoppolo was the real deal instead. His problem is that he's frail.

Having a "struggle period" is one thing, but this guy threw 5 consecutive interceptions in practice, and followed it up with a 0.0 QB rating. If I was a 9ers fan, I'd be quite a bit worried.
Can anyone read that without Dean Wormer's voice in your head?

who cares

I think I'll trust the many football people who thought Garoppolo was the real deal instead. His problem is that he's frail.

His problem is that twice he put himself in a position where he could get badly hurt, blasted by defenders while out of the pocket. I seriously doubt that his right shoulder or his knee joint is any more "frail" than those on other people. He just needs to regain confidence and make better decisions, assuming that he is healed. He never missed a game in 3.5 years as a starter in college, which is hardly the profile of a glass doll.

Having a "struggle period" is one thing, but this guy threw 5 consecutive interceptions in practice, and followed it up with a 0.0 QB rating. If I was a 9ers fan, I'd be quite a bit worried.

And was mediocre last year as well

This reinforces the narrative about Brady being just another JAG, since scrubs like Cassel, Brisset and Garoppolo did so well in this "system."

This is the dumbest thing i've read in a while.

Jimmy G won one and a half game for the Pats, and the Cardinals missed a 47 yarder to win it. He was 5-0 when he went to the 49'ers.

Brisset was 1-1 and the Pats scored zero points against the Bills. Zero. He didn't have a single passing TD in the 3 games he played.

The ''scrub'' Cassel had a Pro Bowl season in Kansas two years later with 27 TD's/7 Int vs the 21 TD's/11 INT he had in 2008.

The Brady haters derangement syndrome is as real and as dumb as the Flat Earthers society. And just as easily debunked and dismissed.

How did those guys “do well in the system?”
Brisset was shut out in half his games.
Cassel turned a 16-0 team into a 10-5 team.
Jimmy played 5 quarters.

This is the dumbest thing i've read in a while.

Jimmy G won one and a half game for the Pats, and the Cardinals missed a 47 yarder to win it. He was 5-0 when he went to the 49'ers.

Brisset was 1-1 and the Pats scored zero points against the Bills. Zero. He didn't have a single passing TD in the 3 games he played.

The ''scrub'' Cassel had a Pro Bowl season in Kansas two years later with 27 TD's/7 Int vs the 21 TD's/11 INT he had in 2008.

The Brady haters derangement syndrome is as real and as dumb as the Flat Earthers society. And just as easily debunked and dismissed.

Yes, I know. I just wrote that it reinforces the narrative. Patriots QBs go elsewhere and stink. Now that's a fact.

How did those guys “do well in the system?”
Brisset was shut out in half his games.
Cassel turned a 16-0 team into a 10-5 team.
Jimmy played 5 quarters.

I can see now my post was taken the wrong way by a number of people. I must have thousands of posts on here. About half of them have been killing people making the argument that Brady is a system QB. "Reinforces the narrative" is just another way of saying "The crap people say..."

I can see now my post was taken the wrong way by a number of people. I must have thousands of posts on here. About half of them have been killing people making the argument that Brady is a system QB. "Reinforces the narrative" is just another way of saying "The crap people say..."

Oh, you are saying that these QB's failing just reinforces the people who claim TB is a jag. The way you wrote it diddnt look that way.

Yes, I know. I just wrote that it reinforces the narrative. Patriots QBs go elsewhere and stink. Now that's a fact.
It certainly is a fact.

I think the fact a lot of people miss is that they are just stinky QBs or at least not on the level of TB

Yeah, that’s ugly. It took Brady a couple of games in 2009 where he got comfortable enough to actually step into his throws but this was something else entirely. Brady never looked like he panicked back then. JAG was panicking here. Throwing off his back foot, staring down his receivers, quickly pulling the trigger to his first read if the defense even breathed on him. He’ll need to get over that quickly or it’s going to be an ugly start to the season for him.

Don’t you dare :eek:

Yeah, that’s ugly. It took Brady a couple of games in 2009 where he got comfortable enough to actually step into his throws but this was something else entirely. Brady never looked like he panicked back then. JAG was panicking here. Throwing off his back foot, staring down his receivers, quickly pulling the trigger to his first read if the defense even breathed on him. He’ll need to get over that quickly or it’s going to be an ugly start to the season for him.
And also this Mullens kid will be breathing down his neck if he has a back start to the year. I really think this kid is going to be really good. I’m not giving up on Jimmy, just saying if Jimmy looks bad 4-6 game in, the pressure only is going to get worse.

The problem is that the narrative is a non-starter.

''Patriots QB go elsewhere and stink.''

But again, Jimmy G and Jacoby combined for a career 3-1 record. Why are we pretending that these two guys have won a SB and then went AWOL out of NE?

Jimmy G went to the 49ers, and helped them win 5 games after the team was 1-10 without him. That's 10 more impressive than anything he did with New England.

The Pats scored 0 points with Brissett against the Bills in week 4, at home, and scored 41 with Brady back in Buffalo a month later.

I don't mind dumb arguments that take a spin on a factual assessment, as at least you can understand why a hater would believe that, but this ''Patriots system meme'' is pure garbage.

For people that are either younger or don't remember, these are same arguments all the way back from 2006 when Manning had Harrison and Wayne while Brady was throwing to Reche Caldwell. When Brady got weapons in 2007, he destroyed every QB and offensive record and those arguments completely died out.

Then, the haters ''Dear Father...'' was Spygate...yes Brady is as great as advertised but the Pats are cheaters! Then it was Deflagate. Once they won two more and the scandals lost their meaning it was again, Brady is a system QB, Belichick is the reason the Pats win. After last years SB, it was: ''Brady is more important'' but who cares the Pats lost! It's over, they're not winning a SB again! This year, the Miami fiasco that lost us a bye if not for Nick Foles, the second half of the Chiefs game, etc were all forgotten and forgiven, Brady had a mediocre SB and again he ''became'' a system QB.

I mean, freakin Rodgers, a player that hasn't seen a playoff game for two years, magically jumped over every QB including Montana during these 2 years, just so Brady can have a contemporary rival. Remember the Pats-Packers promo from last season with Michael Jordan saying whoever wins is the GOAT?

A lot of people hate the Pats and a lot of people are ignorant and don't bother to fact check or think about anything that they hear on TV or read on Twitter. As long as it confirms their bias, it's great. When every dummy out there can voice his opinion on Twitter and when failed rappers like Max Kellerman become influencers, while having absolutely no knowledge about the game of football, it's becomes an everyday occurrence to read these type of inanities.

PS: It was obvious from the start that you don't share that opinion but i still felt the need to write about it.:)

I'm thinking of revisiting that thread from a couple years ago to remind myself who wanted to keep Garoppolo and get rid of Brady.....
Let’s see who wanted to keep Cassel too!

His problem is that twice he put himself in a position where he could get badly hurt, blasted by defenders while out of the pocket. I seriously doubt that his right shoulder or his knee joint is any more "frail" than those on other people. He just needs to regain confidence and make better decisions, assuming that he is healed. He never missed a game in 3.5 years as a starter in college, which is hardly the profile of a glass doll.
i agree with this. Jimmy G's issue is not frailty. It's an unwillingness to give up on individual plays. He gets hurt not because he injures easily, but because he's way too gung ho about trying to do it all himself. that was the whole point of my megapost a few posts back.

If he stays in the pocket and learns "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em" he'll be fine in the long run. If he gets hardheaded and refuses to learn how to give up on broken plays rather than putting his career on the line every time something goes wrong, he will continue to get hurt and probably be out of the league in a couple years.

maybe to the ignorant. What it reinforces to me is that it's tough to be an NFL starting quarterback

BTW neither Jimmy nor Brissett really got enough snaps here to really get a feel for what they were. When you're playing behind the most durable and competitive guy in NFL history you get a small sample size of plays. Saying that either JG or JB "did well" is hyperbole, and IMHO it exists in this post mostly so that you're not just talking about Cassell.

We'll see what happens when the season starts. If he's gunshy, it'll show. And that will be sad, because Jimmy G's talent was undeniable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes