PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Looking for suggestions for our trip to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to believe that Boston is the "greatest city in America" go for it. Is it possible to be right yet be in so vast a minority? Of course, it is possible. Although most of America and pretty much the entire planet would disagree with you, I'm sure you are right and the vast, vast, VAST majority of people are wrong.

I do believe that. If I were given a choice of which city to live in it would be Boston over NYC every single time. If I were given a choice of a city to visit with my family it would be Boston over NYC every single time. We've had great times, great food and no stress in Boston. Blue Man Group, Children's museum, historic tours, Chinatown, street entertainers, Fenway, etc.. etc.... It's a fun place to hang out, it's clean and it's not overcrowded with stressed out people.

People from all over the world visit NYC just as they visit the big gaping hole in the ground in Arizona. It's a landmark on a global tourist map. They get a picture, a pin, a refrigerator magnet and maybe spend $0.51 cents on one of those penny crushers. Yay.

Boston is a great city and in my opinion it's in the discussion of the greatest city in the US. I personally rank it the best.

They can't.

They can and if it's not as good it's better. There's a Greek pizzeria in Southboro that made the best pizza I've ever had anywhere. There's another in Northboro that makes a NYC equivalent that's also quite good.

They can.

Last edited:
Sounds like it may not not fit into ur schedule, but I highly recommend the guided tour of Ft Independence at Castle Island. They have free guided tours of the Fort on weekends...very, very cool take and it offers incredible views of the city from high atop Ft Independence ramparts....plus castle island is a good take in general

They can and if it's not as good it's better. There's a Greek pizzeria in Southboro that made the best pizza I've ever had anywhere. There's another in Northboro that makes a NYC equivalent that's also quite good.

They can.

Why Is New York City Pizza So Good?

WHY IS NEW YORK CITY PIZZA SO GOOD?
163854104-1200x520.jpg

It’s all in the water. That’s what some New Yorkers say makes New York City pizza the best you can find. Maybe there’s some truth to that idea or maybe the city created this myth to throw other areas off the trail of creating a pie with the perfect crust crispiness, fresh ingredients and amazing taste of a New York one. New Yorkers visit other states and just can’t find the pizza they love (except maybe in New Jersey, but that doesn’t count). So what is it about New York City pizza that makes it so good? Is it really the water, or something else? We made it our business to find out.

Is the Water Thing Just a Myth?
There seems to really be something to the water idea. Food scientist Chris Loss explains in a Wired article that the minerals and chemicals within the water contribute to the New York City pizza dough’s flavor by affecting the chemical reactions during the pizza-making process. So water from NYC can really create a different flavor than water from another area.

Village Pizzeria in California believes in the water so much that it pays $10,000 a year to bring New York City water to its restaurant for its pizza dough. The restaurant even did blind taste tests, which came to the conclusion that New York City water made dough better than San Diego water.

Characteristics Specific to the City
In the Wired article, Chef Mario Batali and Food-Development Consultant David Tisi both support an idea that the older ovens many New York pizzerias use add flavor to their pizzas. Just like a steel pan gains flavor from each time you cook in it, these old pizza ovens have captured particles from the many pizzas cooked in them over the years. They then add some of that flavor to each new pizza cooked. Pizzerias who have newer ovens simply miss this flavor. Since New York City has a long history of pizza, they have a leg up over other states that are newer to the pizza world.

Of course, the pizza of this city has a certain type of crust, which is mimicked in “New York-style” pizza around the country. This crust is thin and tossed by hand, for an ideal ratio of crust to sauce and cheese, as well as the perfect crisp texture to every bite. That’s just another characteristic that makes New York City pizza so great.

The Best Ingredients for New York City Pizza
Many New York pizzerias make their pies with top-notch ingredients straight from Italy — that’s got to contribute to the quality. You can find some cheaper pies in New York that don’t have imported ingredients, but many of the best spots use them. Some pizzerias even use real Naples pizza ovens to create amazing pizza. Motorino has an oven that was shipped from Naples (used by Una Pizza Napoletana before this establishment got it) and Keste brought artisans from Naples to create a pizza oven here.

As you can see, a lot of different factors contribute to making New York City pizza as special as it is. That’s why other states may never be able to replicate the unique consistency and flavor that you can get in a NYC pizzeria. Let us know in the comments if you’ve ever found a slice in another state that compared to the famous pies of New York City.

Why Is New York City Pizza So Good?

WHY IS NEW YORK CITY PIZZA SO GOOD?
163854104-1200x520.jpg

It’s all in the water. That’s what some New Yorkers say makes New York City pizza the best you can find. Maybe there’s some truth to that idea or maybe the city created this myth to throw other areas off the trail of creating a pie with the perfect crust crispiness, fresh ingredients and amazing taste of a New York one. New Yorkers visit other states and just can’t find the pizza they love (except maybe in New Jersey, but that doesn’t count). So what is it about New York City pizza that makes it so good? Is it really the water, or something else? We made it our business to find out.

Is the Water Thing Just a Myth?
There seems to really be something to the water idea. Food scientist Chris Loss explains in a Wired article that the minerals and chemicals within the water contribute to the New York City pizza dough’s flavor by affecting the chemical reactions during the pizza-making process. So water from NYC can really create a different flavor than water from another area.

Village Pizzeria in California believes in the water so much that it pays $10,000 a year to bring New York City water to its restaurant for its pizza dough. The restaurant even did blind taste tests, which came to the conclusion that New York City water made dough better than San Diego water.

Characteristics Specific to the City
In the Wired article, Chef Mario Batali and Food-Development Consultant David Tisi both support an idea that the older ovens many New York pizzerias use add flavor to their pizzas. Just like a steel pan gains flavor from each time you cook in it, these old pizza ovens have captured particles from the many pizzas cooked in them over the years. They then add some of that flavor to each new pizza cooked. Pizzerias who have newer ovens simply miss this flavor. Since New York City has a long history of pizza, they have a leg up over other states that are newer to the pizza world.

Of course, the pizza of this city has a certain type of crust, which is mimicked in “New York-style” pizza around the country. This crust is thin and tossed by hand, for an ideal ratio of crust to sauce and cheese, as well as the perfect crisp texture to every bite. That’s just another characteristic that makes New York City pizza so great.

The Best Ingredients for New York City Pizza
Many New York pizzerias make their pies with top-notch ingredients straight from Italy — that’s got to contribute to the quality. You can find some cheaper pies in New York that don’t have imported ingredients, but many of the best spots use them. Some pizzerias even use real Naples pizza ovens to create amazing pizza. Motorino has an oven that was shipped from Naples (used by Una Pizza Napoletana before this establishment got it) and Keste brought artisans from Naples to create a pizza oven here.

As you can see, a lot of different factors contribute to making New York City pizza as special as it is. That’s why other states may never be able to replicate the unique consistency and flavor that you can get in a NYC pizzeria. Let us know in the comments if you’ve ever found a slice in another state that compared to the famous pies of New York City.

PUH LEASE spare me with the ridiculous "this is art" conversation. It is just so tiresome.

New Yorkers: "Our Sh!t is so spectacular because it travels from our ass into a century old toilet in our postage stamp sized apartment and through a centuries old sewer pipe which has collected sh!t mircrobes over the years making it ultra sh!tty. It's the best sh!t in the world.

Holy Sheet man.

Sounds like it may not not fit into ur schedule, but I highly recommend the guided tour of Ft Independence at Castle Island. They have free guided tours of the Fort on weekends...very, very cool take and it offers incredible views of the city from high atop Ft Independence ramparts....plus castle island is a good take in general
great advice, as is a trip out to the Boston light

They can't.
The best pizza in America is made in New Haven Connecticut. It's a hellhole of a city and there are few other reasons to go there beside eating Pizza and going to Yale, but they have amazing pizza.

Came in the thread to offer a suggestion or two..
..now leaving hungry after hearing of pizza :oops:

The best pizza in America is made in New Haven Connecticut. It's a hellhole of a city and there are few other reasons to go there beside eating Pizza and going to Yale, but they have amazing pizza.

Good to know. If I'm ever there, I'll make sure to try it.

New York City's mayor eats his pizza slide with a knife and fork.
The Defense rests.

PUH LEASE spare me with the ridiculous "this is art" conversation. It is just so tiresome.

I only say this because I care. Step away from the keyboard Brother Tony and take a deep breath. In your heart you know better than to argue with Jete scum, it validates their meaningless existence to waste the time of fans of a real team. We all know what's in those NYC sewers is 50 years worth of the hopes and dreams of Jete fans. Now go grab a Snickers, you're not you when you're hungry.

Remember kids, friends don't let friends waste time on Jete scum

Original Pepe's in New Haven is the best pizza, it's all in the sauce

Annual voted best in the country, thought it was BS, then I had it at the original New Haven joint...amazing pizza, simply incredible

I love Boston. But terrible place for single 20 somethings. Driving in the city is among the worst in the country. Bars close too early and the public transportation closes even earlier. Rent prices are ridiculous and you are pretty much forced into Brighton, Alston or even Somerville at that age. If you can make the effort they do have a pretty good nightlife. LA, Miami and NYC are the only places I’d rank above it in the States. But

That said, for a day trip it’s pretty great. Walking around the Seaport is great. A game at Fenway as well. And obviously the historical sites. Great food in the North End. Clean city too.

However, screw the traffic. Screw the road layout. Among the worst in the country and it’s not close. Moved out to Denver two years ago and it’s night and day in that respect. Larger roads and they all make relative sense within a grid pattern. You can actually park inexpensively.

I love Boston. But terrible place for single 20 somethings. Driving in the city is among the worst in the country. Bars close too early and the public transportation closes even earlier. Rent prices are ridiculous and you are pretty much forced into Brighton, Alston or even Somerville at that age. If you can make the effort they do have a pretty good nightlife. LA, Miami and NYC are the only places I’d rank above it in the States. But

That said, for a day trip it’s pretty great. Walking around the Seaport is great. A game at Fenway as well. And obviously the historical sites. Great food in the North End. Clean city too.

However, screw the traffic. Screw the road layout. Among the worst in the country and it’s not close. Moved out to Denver two years ago and it’s night and day in that respect. Larger roads and they all make relative sense within a grid pattern. You can actually park inexpensively.

Translation: Whaaa, Boston was a hard place to be a broke azz self absorbed man child. As opposed to how cheap quality housing is in the safe and trendy parts of LA, Miami and NYC. :rolleyes:

Interesting tidbit about road layouts. In general the roads on the east coast are just old horse and buggy trails paved over whereas in the west the cities and roads were designed for actual traffic. Something to do with two or three hundred years between settlements.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Translation: Whaaa, Boston was a hard place to be a broke azz self absorbed man child. As opposed to how cheap quality housing is in the safe and trendy parts of LA, Miami and NYC. :rolleyes:
I’m far from broke lol. The bigger issues with Boston are the lack of reliable late night transportation and how terrible driving is there. It has a good nightlife once you are there but they make it about as inefficient as possible. The difference is in addition to having significantly better late night scenes those cities are very accessible and easy to get into and around in even if you live on the outskirts. I grew up in the Boston area. If you don’t live right in the city it’s one of the worst cities in the entire country to travel into. And it shuts down early. That’s the biggest problem. You end up rushing out early than to want to catch a train or take an expensive uber. They’ve been trying to get better because they want to retain more if the college students around there.

Otherwise I love Boston. But it’s far from a convenient city.

Interesting tidbit about road layouts. In general the roads on the east coast are just old horse and buggy trails paved over whereas in the west the cities and roads were designed for actual traffic. Something to do with two or three hundred years between settlements.
Oh I know that.. it gives it some charm. But once you’ve lived in a basic grid pattern and you realize how easy that is it’s a game changer. I moved to Denver about a year and half ago and it’s just so much easier to get around in. It’s not an inexpensive city by any means but you can live in a nice apartment downtown near everything for something reasonable. And it doesn’t take 15-20 mins to go two miles. Then I think back about going down 93 south to take a nice detour down Storrow to get to all the spots me and my buds go out at night and all the one ways. It just becomes an unnecessary production. Especially when you have to go meet everyone in Alston or Brighton before hand because nobody wants to pay to live downtown.

RI Patriots fan.....yes, I'm from Rhode Island. :rolleyes:

The point being made wasn't that Boston is "right up there". The poster in question stated that Boston was "arguably America's greatest city". Boston is not America's greatest city and no one outside of Mass would think otherwise.

In your opinion .... I think it is arguable that it is the greatest and I know plenty of people outside of MA that have Boston as their favorite place to visit

So a few of us will be in Boston for the season opener against the Texans, and we're going to catch the Saturday game between the Astros and Red Sox as well. We'll be getting into town the Wednesday before, so we have a few days to check out some sites. We're curious about the places we need to see while in town, and also restaurants that y'all would recommend. It's three guys going so it doesn't have to be family entertainment. Two of us had fathers in the Navy so anything military related is always a plus. Thanks in advance.

some suggestions you should try do do it:
1 - Freedom trail (Boston)
2 - if you like (like i do) that kind of athmosphera: a 'walk' at Boston College + Harvard
3 - Cape Cod trip (one overall day imho)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back