PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets safety Kerry Rhodes: “We will be the best defense”

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Strong words considering they haven't even put on the pads yet.

ProFootballTalk.com - Rhodes: “We Will Be The Best Defense”

Rhodes: “We Will Be The Best Defense”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 4, 2009, 3:18 p.m. EDT

Linebacker Bart Scott, the New York Jets’ $48 million man, recently described the AFC East football team’s growing confidence as “swaggerlicious.”

Apparently that brash attitude is contagious.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes recently made a bold prediction on his Twitter account, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

In Rhodes’ opinion, “We will be the best defense in the league this year. I feel for the offenses we’re gonna face.”

And outside linebacker Calvin Pace echoed that statement, saying, “I don’t think you’ll find a better team on paper.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan has never been shy about talking big, and that approach is apparently rubbing off on his players.

So, the Jets are officially no longer boring. Time will tell if they can back up their words.

“I’m excited about that comment,” Ryan said of Rhodes’ Tweet. ”You know what? I love the fact that he put ‘we will,’ not, ‘I’ll be the best safety.’

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jets safety Kerry Rhodes: “We Will Be The Best Defense”

Playing two games against the best offense won't help.

Let them do the talking. They haven't even seen the field yet and their talking about being the best. It makes me laugh and proud to be a patriotfan. No one on our team would ever make such dumb comments

Last edited:

This is classic stuff. Love it. You couldn't ask for much more from the Jets. "Swaggerlicious." You can't make this **** up.

Is it me or are the Jets seeming to modeling themselves after the Wade Phillips version of the Cowboys? A coach who is laxed and seems to be more interested in having fun on the field than working hard and now everyone on the team even the head coach seeming to have huge egos and have no problem trash talking to the media.

The Jets were 16th in points allowed last year. They are going to have to improve a whole heck of a lot to be the best defense this upcoming season.

I am personally going to wait impatiently for this team to implode on itself. They arebound to struggle with their offense as it is and it seems the inmates may be running the asylum.

The Jets Defense will feature the following:

Starting CB: Lito Sheppard and Darelle Revis. It should be noted that Sheppard was a bench player last year. They do have Dwight Lowery, who did make a statement last year, but we'll have to see if that was a fluke.

Starting Safeties: Rhodes and Eric Smith. It should be noted that Abram Elam outplayed Smith much of last year. The Wildcard is Jim Leonhard

Starting LBs: Calvin Pace, David Harris, Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott.

Starting D-Line: Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, ????

On paper, that looks very impressive. However, it remains to be seen what Lito Sheppard and Shaun Ellis have left in their tank. It also remains to be seen how the players get accustom to Rex Ryan.

Where the Jets are hurting is their depth. If Jenkins goes down, they are toast. Their depth at ILB is as shallow as the Patriots...

Leonhard was a good addition for the Jets. And with Lowery and Strickland behind Sheppard and Revis, the Jets have good depth at CB.

Last edited:

LOL....:rolleyes:

then i guess in these Jets-Pats contests the pats wont score more then 20 pts....eh?

It's June...correct? :bricks:

Media: Soo Kerry whaddya think of this year's D?

Rhodes: In obligation with megan's law I have to inform you........ Wait! what were we saying?

Media: the D Kerry, we were talkin about this year's defense

Rhodes: O lol I'm sorry...... we are the best

Other than Jenkins, they're weak down the middle. Jenkins also wears down over the course of games and over the course of the season.

I'm not buying into the "best defense" thing, sorry. There's a better defense that plays home games in the same stadium they do, and there's probably a better defense that plays games in a stadium named after a razor, and that's just 2 right in the northeast.

They are, of course, invited to try proving me wrong.

Last edited:

Strong words considering they haven't even put on the pads yet.

ProFootballTalk.com - Rhodes: “We Will Be The Best Defense”

Rhodes: “We Will Be The Best Defense”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 4, 2009, 3:18 p.m. EDT
Linebacker Bart Scott, the New York Jets’ $48 million man, recently described the AFC East football team’s growing confidence as “swaggerlicious.”

Apparently that brash attitude is contagious.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes recently made a bold prediction on his Twitter account, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

In Rhodes’ opinion, “We will be the best defense in the league this year. I feel for the offenses we’re gonna face.”

And outside linebacker Calvin Pace echoed that statement, saying, “I don’t think you’ll find a better team on paper.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan has never been shy about talking big, and that approach is apparently rubbing off on his players.

So, the Jets are officially no longer boring. Time will tell if they can back up their words.

“I’m excited about that comment,” Ryan said of Rhodes’ Tweet. ”You know what? I love the fact that he put ‘we will,’ not, ‘I’ll be the best safety.’

When you have the head coach running off at the mouth, clearly no one is going to censor these guys - So get ready for a long off season of this kind of talk.

This will be addressed in Week 2.

Looks like the Jest are off season champions again. But can they follow it up with another pre-season championship?

The only thing we are missing is Rodney Harrison eating this stuff up and using it as a motivation tool.

This Kerry Rhodes fellow is quite the funny little bugger.

Nice, so it looks like the Jets are back-to-back Offseason Champs. congrats guys!

Too bad a lot of teams will be scoring on their offense.

I love this talk as it makes their inevitable failure even more rewarding.

Week 2 Rhodes can enjoy seeing us drop 40 on their "best defense."

When you have the head coach running off at the mouth, clearly no one is going to censor these guys - So get ready for a long off season of this kind of talk.

This will be addressed in Week 2.

Not that I actually beleive in the power of bulletin board material - but they sure are providing some - and it's only June. Can't wait 'till September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference