PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jaguars fire Urban Meyers

I'll happily take that bet and walk away with a cool $2K. Meyer is a piece of sh*t and what reason does Lambo have to fabricate a story like this? Rating the force of the kick on a scale from 1-10, acknowledging while it wasn't a vicious blow it was more than a friendly bump, the verbal response after it happened, and then the interaction at practice ... just seems really unlikely one would make-up a completely false story with such specific details.

Heck, Meyer didn't even deny it. On two occasions he acknowledges kicking Lambo:

"I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the f*ck I want"

"When you responded to me out there on the practice field out in front of everyone. If you have an issue and don't like me kicking you, well then you keep that to yourself and you wait until after practice and after meetings and you come find me in the office and tell me privately"

If this turns out to be a complete myth, I'll eat crow, but as far as credibility and decency, Meyer is one of the last people I'd give the benefit of the doubt to.
A lot of it sounds very fictional. I'm sure he's a d*ckhead but this point, someone could come out and say that Urban Meyer took a dump in Trevor Lawrence's helmet and people would believe it.

He is a reprehensible human being in a profession full of reprehensible human beings, but let’s not lose our minds here: based on his resume, he is a phenomenal college coach who did a great job at every step in the ladder at the college level.
Yea, but at what cost?

One thing about being a college head coach, actually the most important thing, is recruiting. A head coach needs to be able to go into the living room of a family and tell Mama that he will look after her baby boy and keep him out of trouble and on the straight track. There is absolutely no way Urban can do that with all this garbage he is carry. Leaving FL was one thing, then the Ohio State mess, now all the crap coming out of Jacksonville.

No college program worth it's weight is going to tough Urban with a 10 foot pole, he is way too toxic. I could see a one of the non-power 5 programs giving him a chance, but none of the Power 5 programs will have anything to do with him.

The success makes it all the more impressive that he's managed to burn every single one of those bridges.
What makes you think he burned those bridges? Florida would take him back in a heartbeat. OSU seems happy with Day but if he left, they would take Meyer back in a heartbeat too.

Yea, but at what cost?
Who gives a ****? Would you rather lose with boy scouts?
One thing about being a college head coach, actually the most important thing, is recruiting. A head coach needs to be able to go into the living room of a family and tell Mama that he will look after her baby boy and keep him out of trouble and on the straight track.
heh heh. That's adorable how you still think this is 1967.

There is not a soul alive not named Nick Saban with more national championships than Meyer. You think the Texas AD (or fans for that matter) gives 2 turds what happened in Jacksonville!??!?
There is absolutely no way Urban can do that with all this garbage he is carry. Leaving FL was one thing, then the Ohio State mess, now all the crap coming out of Jacksonville.

No college program worth it's weight is going to tough Urban with a 10 foot pole, he is way too toxic. I could see a one of the non-power 5 programs giving him a chance, but none of the Power 5 programs will have anything to do with him.
Texas would take him in a heartbeat. So would Southern California. And Florida. And Oklahoma. And about 100 other FBS schools.

McDaniels should really be the new #1 on that list

Colts-Tweet-McDanials-Hire-Head-Coach.png

Colts-Announce-McDaniel-Presser.png

Colts-McDaniel-Tweet.png
There must be 50 ways to leave your franchise....

Just write on the bill, Bill,
Just blow ‘em off, Josh,
Just act like a perv, Urb,
And set yourself free!

There must be 50 ways to leave your franchise....

Just write on the bill, Bill,
Just blow ‘em off, Josh,
Just act like a perv, Urb,
And set yourself free!
To celebrate prior Jags coaches,
Hop on the bus Gus
Take a bike Mike
Don't run like a slug Doug,
Don't look back Jack,
Escape like you're running from a bomb Tom.....

A lot of it sounds very fictional. I'm sure he's a d*ckhead but this point, someone could come out and say that Urban Meyer took a dump in Trevor Lawrence's helmet and people would believe it.
I don't think it's fictional. The article confirmed that the Jaguars' legal team was involved, and that wouldn't happen if there wasn't cause for it.

Yea, but at what cost?

One thing about being a college head coach, actually the most important thing, is recruiting. A head coach needs to be able to go into the living room of a family and tell Mama that he will look after her baby boy and keep him out of trouble and on the straight track. There is absolutely no way Urban can do that with all this garbage he is carry. Leaving FL was one thing, then the Ohio State mess, now all the crap coming out of Jacksonville.

I love your posts SouthernPatriot (especially the insightful ones about Alabama football) and agree with 95% of them, but I guess I may be a little more cynical on this subject than you, Meyer clearly can't handle the pros, but I'm not so sure he won't land another college job, and maybe a decent one.

Lane Kiffin has done plenty of things that I would think would make him too toxic also, and he seems to be much in demand again. Admittedly Kiffin's transgressions and past garbage haven't risen to the level of Meyer's, but Meyer also has three national championships, with the last one being only six years ago. I could see a bunch of fanatical boosters for some previously top program who has fallen on hard times insisting on a "big name" hire like Meyer.

Hopefully you are right and we've seen the last of him. I'm not trying to kick him when he is down, but the job of any university employee (whether a professor or a football coach) is to be a positive influence and help to teach young college students how to succeed in life, and on that count he has clearly failed as a college coach. And this stint in the pros speaks for itself.

Brent Venables.

Do you go to Jaguars games? I'd have season tickets for any NFL team I lived within easy driving distance of, even if my loyalties were elsewhere.

I think BB might have him beat though, right?

Belichick was actually there for the press conference just made sure it was a completely different type.

Who gives a ****? Would you rather lose with boy scouts?

heh heh. That's adorable how you still think this is 1967.

There is not a soul alive not named Nick Saban with more national championships than Meyer. You think the Texas AD (or fans for that matter) gives 2 turds what happened in Jacksonville!??!?

Texas would take him in a heartbeat. So would Southern California. And Florida. And Oklahoma. And about 100 other FBS schools.
I disagree, but only time will tell. I would bet the farm that he will never coach at a Power 5 school again.

The fans might not care, but the AD and the people who have to clean up his messes care very much. And most importantly the Mamas that will be sending their boys to play at said school care very much about the coach. It's adorable that you don't seem to understand how college recruitment really happens and how important the head coach is to all those parents that plan to send their sons to be mentored by this man really is! I suggest you go google some of the interviews of the parents and how they feel about the head coaches.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back