PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: It's Official. Broncos to Release Russel Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson’s $39 million salary does have offsets but there would be no incentive for any team to offer Wilson more than the league minimum of $1.21 million since all they would be doing is paying the Broncos.

My guess is that he looks for a one year deal with a QB needy team that has offensive talent already there, like Atlanta. This way he can shoot for another longer and more lucrative deal a year from now.

I'm with you, but don't think Kraft wants to suck going into this year as the organization says they want to remain competitive while still taking a QB..

If the Patriots approach is one designed to compete as soon as possible to give Kraft one more shot at a Lombardi before he dies then they will end up sucking for years.

If the Patriots approach is one designed to compete as soon as possible to give Kraft one more shot at a Lombardi before he dies then they will end up sucking for years.
Possibly, it's just this season is going to be an untangling from everything Bill as he's so attached to the organization.. what I believe is they want to remain competitive while still growing the QB.. they have a high standard set, and last few seasons when they thought they had a QB to win with was butchered left a bad taste.

Possibly, it's just this season is going to be an untangling from everything Bill as he's so attached to the organization.. what I believe is they want to remain competitive while still growing the QB.. they have a high standard set, and last few seasons when they thought they had a QB to win with was butchered left a bad taste.

Which imo shows the folly of just trying to be competitive, instead of building with a long term plan to put together a great team. I completely understand the instinct to want to put a winner in the field every season, and I think that they can do that with a bridge QB like Tannehill or Minshew, and this defense, but if you are going to let your football people do their job properly then you need to let them make the decisions that ultimately lead to having a great team that can win Championships, and not interfere with that in a desire to just be a Playoff Participant.

Which imo shows the folly of just trying to be competitive, instead of building with a long term plan to put together a great team. I completely understand the instinct to want to put a winner in the field every season, and I think that they can do that with a bridge QB like Tannehill or Minshew, and this defense, but if you are going to let your football people do their job properly then you need to let them make the decisions that ultimately lead to having a great team that can win Championships, and not interfere with that in a desire to just be a Playoff Participant.
Tannehill and minshew are turn Over machines.. better than what we have.. however Wilson all things considered is just my personal choice as bridge Veteran who would not be utterly expensive. I believe the football ppl are going to be given room to make decisions. However I agree with your overall approach.

Doesn’t seem like the players that he works with love him very much. I don’t know, says a lot when none of your former teammates don’t say a word after your departure for two teams.

It's literally no risk, Broncos are paying his entire salary.. I would absolutely entertain him.. it's not like we aren't taking a QB.. he threw for over 3k, 24-8 were his numbers last season. Imagine if we had that production from any QB last season. We would have been a playoff team with our defense.
It feels like you're just looking at numbers.

It feels like a "collecting talent, not building a team" kind of move.

Russ is a prima donna. He was coddled in Seattle, and that caused a lot of strife on that team.

He was asked to drop injury guarantees in DEN. I understand why he said no, but it shows he's mostly about the paycheck these days.

Tannehill and minshew are turn Over machines.. better than what we have.. however Wilson all things considered is just my personal choice as bridge Veteran who would not be utterly expensive. I believe the football ppl are going to be given room to make decisions. However I agree with your overall approach.

I have been trying to figure out what my real problem with Russell Wilson really is, because his numbers from last season are fine. And what I realized is that my problem with him is this—-he’s a phony. Wilson goes overboard acting like he’s this great teammate and great team guy, but he really isn’t. It’s an act, and that’s not a quality that serves any team well at that position. When their teammates don’t believe in their QB as their leader the offense usually struggles, and we have seen that with really talented QB’s many times over the years. Whereas in the other hand the quarterback can be the biggest ******* there is, but if their teammates believe they will give it all they have for them then they will play their asses off for them. Jim McMahon was a great example of this. And to fact check to see if I’m on the right track on this I went back and looked into it, and I couldn’t find any reports of Wilson’s teammates in either Seattle or Denver being upset that he was traded or released, and that speaks volumes to me. So while I think Wilson has the best track record statistically, and in terms of games won and lost, he’s not the guy I want in that locker room, especially if it’s going to be filling up with young players over the next couple of years. And even though they might not win as many games, I would much rather have Tannehill, Minshew, or even Brissett, as none of those are doing “ hey everyone, look at me - jumping jacks “ in the middle of the aisle on a team flight.

You think the line is bad now? Wait and see what happens if they bring this guy in and make the line pass block for 8 seconds while he runs around, instead of getting rid of it 2-3 seconds after the snap.
Season 6 Reaction GIF by Parks and Recreation

It feels like you're just looking at numbers.

It feels like a "collecting talent, not building a team" kind of move.

Russ is a prima donna. He was coddled in Seattle, and that caused a lot of strife on that team.

He was asked to drop injury guarantees in DEN. I understand why he said no, but it shows he's mostly about the paycheck these days.
Ok so funny you mentioned that.. on numbers.. I don't get the utter entitled fans on here that are saying no.. we are in no position to turn down talent russ is still talented. The point is he's available.. a smart GM looks at him ,never hurts. On numbers again did you see the numbers on our QB position? 24-8 at the QB position has this team in the post season.. is all I'm saying..

Sign him to short money for a year. Wilson would be an excellent veteran to be in the QB room with the rookie selection. He's getting tons of guaranteed money to leave Denver and should not cost much at all.

I have been trying to figure out what my real problem with Russell Wilson really is, because his numbers from last season are fine. And what I realized is that my problem with him is this—-he’s a phony. Wilson goes overboard acting like he’s this great teammate and great team guy, but he really isn’t. It’s an act, and that’s not a quality that serves any team well at that position. When their teammates don’t believe in their QB as their leader the offense usually struggles, and we have seen that with really talented QB’s many times over the years. Whereas in the other hand the quarterback can be the biggest ******* there is, but if their teammates believe they will give it all they have for them then they will play their asses off for them. Jim McMahon was a great example of this. And to fact check to see if I’m on the right track on this I went back and looked into it, and I couldn’t find any reports of Wilson’s teammates in either Seattle or Denver being upset that he was traded or released, and that speaks volumes to me. So while I think Wilson has the best track record statistically, and in terms of games won and lost, he’s not the guy I want in that locker room, especially if it’s going to be filling up with young players over the next couple of years. And even though they might not win as many games, I would much rather have Tannehill, Minshew, or even Brissett, as none of those are doing “ hey everyone, look at me - jumping jacks “ in the middle of the aisle on a team flight.
I absolutely understand exactly what your saying.. when Russ was traded he was injured, the shoulder injury affected his play in 2022, from his Seattle days his former teammates raved about his leadership abilities.. Denver just wasn't a good fit for him.. 2023 he played winning football, the comparison I continue to make is if we had similar production from Mac or Zapp we are a playoff team. With our defense. Furthermore he's just a bridge.. I don't see russ playing more than 2-3 more years anyway in the league.. he's worth an inquiry guy does have championship pedigree.

Ok so funny you mentioned that.. on numbers.. I don't get the utter entitled fans on here that are saying no.. we are in no position to turn down talent russ is still talented. The point is he's available.. a smart GM looks at him ,never hurts. On numbers again did you see the numbers on our QB position? 24-8 at the QB position has this team in the post season.. is all I'm saying..
Funny, I don't get how entitled fans are so desperate to return to winning that they rush to quick fixes and ignore the volume of ex-teammates that are on record who do not like Wilson as a teammate. He is a locker room cancer who cannot execute a normal offense. He is not a good fit for the Pats long term development.

This is a League where the average backup QB brings in about $3 million, and Wilson is certainly better than they are. He won't be winning any MVPs, but his performance in Denver was not the disaster some are making it out to be. He had 6,500 yards, 42 TD's and 19 INT's. That's a lot better than many starters (including ours).

If he wants, Wilson will be able to do better than League minimum at his next stop. As mentioned above, the contract could be structured so that his year 1 salary would technically be League minimum, but he gets paid more in signing bonus and on the back end.

I absolutely understand exactly what your saying.. when Russ was traded he was injured, the shoulder injury affected his play in 2022, from his Seattle days his former teammates raved about his leadership abilities.. Denver just wasn't a good fit for him.. 2023 he played winning football, the comparison I continue to make is if we had similar production from Mac or Zapp we are a playoff team. With our defense. Furthermore he's just a bridge.. I don't see russ playing more than 2-3 more years anyway in the league.. he's worth an inquiry guy does have championship pedigree.

In terms of production it’s hard to make an argument against him, I just think that he turned into a different guy from his early years, and his behavior in Denver, as well as his most recent statements seem to reinforce that. Just last week he was talking about winning multiple Super Bowls with Denver, as he was in the process of them eating 85 million just to get rid of him. That’s pretty delusional imo. And like Justin Fields, and what the Bears are willing to pass up just to get rid of him, the Bronco’s willingness to eat over a 3rd of their cap just to send him packing makes me have serious doubts about him.

Wilson’s $39 million salary does have offsets but there would be no incentive for any team to offer Wilson more than the league minimum of $1.21 million since all they would be doing is paying the Broncos.

Correct. There is zero incentive for ANYONE to pay anything more than league minimum for Wilson. Wilson is going to make $40MM next season regardless of where he plays...or NOT. The only way that would change is if his new team offered him an even bigger contract. Wilson is still an NFL starting QB, but NOONE views him as a $ 40MM QB at this point. He needs a place where he can rebuild his value if he expects to make even $30MM next year.

BTW - on an entirely different matter, it occurred to me that the draft is almost a full 2 MONTHS away. Guys are going to rise and fall on the basis of interviews and workout PERCEPTIONS over that time that have nothing to do with on field production. Its like a mind game. Your opinion is no better than mind and MY opinion changes daily. So I say, why bother.

Instead we should expend all this mental energy on the upcoming FA market during the next 6 or 7 weeks because the potential success of THAT endevour will greatly affect what we do come 4/25

Example of a guy who played himself out of any chance at the HOF.

Funny, I don't get how entitled fans are so desperate to return to winning that they rush to quick fixes and ignore the volume of ex-teammates that are on record who do not like Wilson as a teammate. He is a locker room cancer who cannot execute a normal offense. He is not a good fit for the Pats long term development.
It's funny, some entitled fair weather fans don't realize how much of locker room cancer the current QB position is. It's also funny I've never seen a fan base that says no, we want to suck don't sign anyone that can help.. again he's a bridge QB.. weather or not we can all agree on who their will be a bridge QB here or some sort.. Unless fans are content not to do that either.

In terms of production it’s hard to make an argument against him, I just think that he turned into a different guy from his early years, and his behavior in Denver, as well as his most recent statements seem to reinforce that. Just last week he was talking about winning multiple Super Bowls with Denver, as he was in the process of them eating 85 million just to get rid of him. That’s pretty delusional imo. And like Justin Fields, and what the Bears are willing to pass up just to get rid of him, the Bronco’s willingness to eat over a 3rd of their cap just to send him packing makes me have serious doubts about him.
Fair. I can agree. The injuries, age just didn't equate to the success he had in Seattle. His WR'S were also in and out of the line up too. What we would be doing is bringing in him to help along the draft pick, while remaining competitive.. of course we aren't superbowl bound.. but the krafts are still running a business and those empty seats do Matter... it will be very interesting the next 2 weeks..

He really did not have a bad 2023 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back