PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: It's Official. Broncos to Release Russel Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely understand what your saying and your point. I believe the situation with russ in Denver has gotten a bit overblown.. I know that it didn't work out but Payton himself raved about his professional approach and his leadership abilities.. I just think honestly him being Injured, struggling, the team loosing that guys didn't buy in to him... russ is a pro.. if we don't sign him.. I'd like to trade for fields as a bridge QB.
I just threw up a little in my mouth...

He's more or less going to be free in the grand scheme of things. Give him a 1 year deal, draft MHJ and trade into the back of the first and draft a QB.

Cousin Ivan.
Light breakfast. Just toasted banana/raisin bread toasted with cream cheese and Tea and juice. Very well thought about Wilson and issues I did not contemplate.

Yes, I think he could win at the least twice as many games for us as we won last season and he won with a Team that was not much better than the 2023 Patriots, but you might have a point about locker room.

I don't think he is a bad person, but I believe the younger players might be star struck over his past accomplishments and he could divide the locker room to detract from the new coaching stable and from the big adjustment of no longer having BB in the room. It's going to be like the twilight zone for awhile in Foxboro.

I think that was a problem with Payton and his new regime in Denver. Players had a belief in Russell (the pied piper effect) and Payton fought for his locker room.

I can see Wilson as a better fit with the Steelers. Payton claimed he ad-libed too much for what Payton wanted in his QB. He wants a point guard. Big Ben did not exactly follow a script. Raiders might be slot two but a new coach there might be an issue about locker room hierarchy too.

OK most of the posters say let's Draft a definite-maybe as our choice at pick #3. Look at the Jets and Zack Wilson or Trey Lance.....Do you remember? Now we have to attach that pick to a "bridge" QB so take that salary off the $100mm. It's two picks, not one. I am not saying don't get a QB. heavens knows we need one. But IMO do we pass up an opportunity to fill a couple of important roster spots for a kid QB from the Holy Three at pick #3 who should sit an marinate for two to three years.....while we suck? I say rat poop on that.

The more I think of this, the more I see the price of Fields seems to be going down. You want competition at QB, well here is is for the shiny new QB. I see his NFL tape. He is ascending. Not perfect but only 25 and has potential. I have tried and tried but I see no NFL tape on the Holy Three.

The other alternative is Wentz. He has a winning record (unlike some of our other favorites) and He's only 31 and cheap. He is healthy. He almost won league MVP with the Eagles until he got hurt.

My plan would be take a tier two QB of either MCarthy Penix, Nix or the sleeper Rattler. Hire Wentz Get your blue chipper OT or WR by moving down in the Draft and picking up another 2nd rounder and take what you did not get in round one.

EXAMPLE: Atlanta. For our#3 get Atlanta #8 (Odunze?) and 2nd round #43 (Guyton...still raw) with a first rounder in 2025. Swap #34 to Cincinnatti for picks #49 (Rattler would be my choice) and pick #80(Fiske.....remember...Guy was cut). With our #68 (Piersall). Round 4 get TE Dallin Holker. He rans and catches like a Russ Francis clone.

5th Round , How about Frank Crum OT for Wyoming 6'8" and 313 less than a 5 second 40. 6th Round RB Dylan Laube and JD Bertand LB in the 7th round

DW Toys

Nothing against Brissett but he would not be my choice as a even a short term starter
Like the thinking (kind of like an NBA approach) but I don't think this gets the Broncos out of cap hell as they would have to take the full $85 MM hit this year if they trade Russ.

Locker room cancer with a big ego and diminishing talent. No thanks.

His own team hated the piss out of him by 2014 lol

'According to Pro Football Talk, Denver will have a cap charge of $35.4 million in 2024, and another cap charge of $53.6 million for 2025.'

Would you take that on with the knowledge of getting a 2024 1st (11th)and 2025 1st from Denver to eat the cap.

I would...

The enlarged cap will mean no decent free agents IMO for rebuilding teams..

Heck we don't even need to keep him. I say make the offer. Denver right now is 16m OVER the cap!

Take Harrison (3).. Trade down the 11th pick to get more capital or take a dropper out of the two OTs or Bowers, even Nabbers or Odunze

Last edited:
I just threw up a little in my mouth...
Hopefully you can take something for that illness you have... I'd imagine you threw up each game last season watching the Patriots QBs..

Locker room cancer with a big ego and diminishing talent. No thanks.

His own team hated the piss out of him by 2014 lol
Payton refuted that, said he was a consumate pro, was a leader, and very professional.. so did Broncos ownership.. we aren't talking about Jay ****Ler here..

He's more or less going to be free in the grand scheme of things. Give him a 1 year deal, draft MHJ and trade into the back of the first and draft a QB.
I think the way someone will get him will be by adding a year or two to that - anyone can get him for Vet minimum, clearly, so he'll have other suitors.

If the Pats want him, they'll probably have to sweeten the deal...can't be money THIS year...by adding a year.

I think the way someone will get him will be by adding a year or two to that - anyone can get him for Vet minimum, clearly, so he'll have other suitors.

If the Pats want him, they'll probably have to sweeten the deal...can't be money THIS year...by adding a year.
I say 2 year , 2 million deal. He could be a nice bridge for us... Russ isn't wanting for money, he's still talented and good enough he still has a nice deep ball.. we need a vet until the pick is ready.

I say 2 year , 2 million deal. He could be a nice bridge for us... Russ isn't wanting for money, he's still talented and good enough he still has a nice deep ball.. we need a vet until the pick is ready.
Won't even be close with that. that's pretty much vet minimum per year.

You'll get vet minimum for year one, but Flacco got 4 million, Brissett got 8 million, and I'm betting that Wilson will value himself (rightly so) above that. it'll be interesting how it gets handled in the contract, but I think getting Wilson is going to cost a team around 8/year even with the first year relatively free. might be more than that, even.

We go nowhere till we have a long term answer at QB, IMO.

Having a rookie QB on cheap money for 4-5 seasons is the best advantage one can have in the modern NFL, IMO.
IMO, this says nothing about whether we should sign Wilson on an inexpensive contract as our bridge QB on a 2 year contract.

He wouldn't be my choice, but he certainly is a reasonable choice.

Won't even be close with that. that's pretty much vet minimum per year.

You'll get vet minimum for year one, but Flacco got 4 million, Brissett got 8 million, and I'm betting that Wilson will value himself (rightly so) above that. it'll be interesting how it gets handled in the contract, but I think getting Wilson is going to cost a team around 8/year even with the first year relatively free. might be more than that, even.
Your absolutely correct, the veteran minimum has increased. So maybe 2 years at 15 million.. I'm just guessing right now.. however I'll bet its Brissett we get. AVP said he loved coaching him and Brissett likes playing for him..

Your absolutely correct, the veteran minimum has increased. So maybe 2 years at 15 million.. I'm just guessing right now.. however I'll bet its Brissett we get. AVP said he loved coaching him and Brissett likes playing for him..
Game Over What GIF by Bounce

I guess we'll get use to picking Top 5 it worked for the Lions eventually.

I guess we'll get use to picking Top 5 it worked for the Lions eventually.
Unfortunately, yeah the lions seem like every position on thier team was 1sr round picks over the years.

2 years, $12M guaranteed, would likely be fine, or a bit more, with vet minimum this year.

Like any of the others, he would be expected to be our #2 as soon as our rookie is ready, perhaps not until next year.

Wilson's talent level is dropping, but his ego isn't. And of course Payton said otherwise. He didn't want to tank his value. But look at what he DID. Follow the actions, not the words.

To use an old SAT word, that'd be an adamantine NO for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3