Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Florio:

“The NFL has initiated numerous investigations based merely upon phone calls by alleged victims to the NFL,” the memo explains. “It appears that many people are now aware that they can directly call the NFL to levy allegations against players.”
and
The report from the AP makes a big deal of the fact that “social media, texts and emails” will be part of the league’s investigations. It’s almost as if the AP has entirely forgotten the incident known commonly throughout the media as #DeflateGate.

Of course those things could be pertinent to any investigation conducted by the league. The real news is that the league apparently has been and will continue to start investigations based simply on a complaint made directly to the NFL, regardless of whether the alleged victim ever reported the situation to police.

This gives rise to the real possibility of false or exaggerated claims being made to the league.
NFLPA warns of “new world” of player investigations

The actions of the league make it obvious that they are waging a war against the players. Investigating random calls gives the NFL great power in hitting specific teams where it hurts and giving the league FO and it's favored teams more time for damage control before player issues hit the media. In hindsight, it should have been assumed they were doing this in the first place.

In Germany these were called denunciations

The actions of the league make it obvious that they are waging a war against the players. Investigating random calls gives the NFL great power in hitting specific teams where it hurts and giving the league FO and it's favored teams more time for damage control before player issues hit the media. In hindsight, it should have been assumed they were doing this in the first place.

Blame the courts and the owners. They gave Goodell the right to do just that.

The NFL has apparently now said that "The items were found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media..."

Mort? Please, dear God, let it be Mort....

The players gave him the right to do that too. The CBA had Article 46 in it and the players agreed to it.

We too often forget that the players, including Brady himself, agreed to the contract that made Deflategate legal.

IMHO, this all goes back to Ray Rice. Just look at the scandal that ensued when it was alleged that the league received a call (and a video) about that whole thing. So now they probably feel a legal obligation to perform due diligence every single time someone calls with any sort of allegation.

The last thing they want is to get a call, do nothing about it, then that particular incident blows up into a huge national story, and the woman tells ESPN "hey I called the NFL office but they just ignored me and my story."

I still think Goodell is pushing the boundaries on player sanctions deliberately so that they can try to use it as a bargaining chip to get the 18 game season they so desperately want. Essentially the players get an impartial panel for player punishment in return for the 18 game season. I hope the players ignore it and tell them to shove the 18 game season up their greedy asses but the ploy may end up working.

The NFL has apparently now said that "The items were found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media..."

Mort? Please, dear God, let it be Mort....

International. Mort is in the American press.

International. Mort is in the American press.
I meant to post this in the Jersey thread. Representatives of American media outlets with an international scope, such as HSPN, are usually credentialed internationally.

But, my comment was mainly a joke.

So Goodell, woody Johnson, John Mara or anyone else who hates the Pats can just have one of their buddies anonymously call complaints and accusations in, then launch an investigation against any of our players

Nice.. I don't see that being misused to further petty agendas at all

I wonder how many jets, Giants and Steelers players have been investigated by the nyjfl

So Goodell, woody Johnson, John Mara or anyone else who hates the Pats can just have one of their buddies anonymously call complaints and accusations in, then launch an investigation against any of our players

Nice.. I don't see that being misused to further petty agendas at all
Why do that when they can just call them directly?

Blame the courts and the owners. They gave Goodell the right to do just that.
The NFL is still responsible for their actions. For example, even though we all have the right to be assholes, some of us choose otherwise. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes