PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Iggles to host 1st Brazil Game & NFL game in Madrid in 2025

For the same reason that, for a few years, the Patriots had the first Portuguese-language version of an NFL website. . . .

i would believe that would be for the fans in the 195 belt
for those that don't know, the longest bridge in the world connects Somerset MA to little Portugal

for those that don't know, the longest bridge in the world connects Somerset MA to little Portugal
Longer than the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway? That one’s 23 miles.

ukraine has been in a quasi-war with Russia since 14, meh, i am truly not worried about a billionaire losing his jewelry

but not to get political but Bend over bobs response to that theft should let you know how these billionaires think /react

its all a game to them, and you, me, and our children are nothing but a pawn in their little twisted game of life
Perhaps I should note that my comment was a bit tongue in cheek.

Lost in this is the fact the NFL is putting a game on Friday night on opening weekend.

I'm really curious how they battle with college football this next January, now that the CFP is expanded. There will be CFP games now on weekend where the NFL had previously slotted in Saturday games. They often will try and not step on each other's toes.

BRASIL MENTIONED

CARNAVAL, FESTA, AUEEEEEE

VAI BRASIL RUMO AO HEXA

CAMPEÃO

Really? How did they become fans? It's hard to imagine in a country where soccer is the national religion.
ESPN.

They heavily advertised for Brazil in about 2005 on wards. And making fun of the name "football" became a meme before meme was a thing

Then Brady, the goat himself, married a top 5 brazilian global icon in Gisele Bundchen

All sports sites had something to write about "Gisele's husband being great in his sport" even in non-sports news grabbed this story and ran with it.

the Pats have the biggest fan base because of it.

Finally, coming back to ESPN, the best duo of tv was doing American Football: Everaldo Marques and Paulo Antunes made fun to watch any and all games. They became superstars (well, for ESPN in Brazil anyway)

Now, Football is one the most watched sports in closed tv in Brazil.

Dunno if I like a Friday game after the Thursday opener....

Now, I like TNF or FNF generally, but I LOVE WEEK 1....with its 10+ kick-offs at 1PM EST and feel that this further dilutes that magical day. We already gave up 1 TNF game, 1 SNF game, and 2 MNF games...now a FNF game...that is 10 teams that don't play on Sunday....leaving us with 11 kick offs....with probably 4 in the late afternoon window....

I used to love week 1 in the 90's...you would go to the bar early in the AM (California)...have breakfast...read a real Sunday print edition...and at 10AM at least 10+ games kicked off with the bar completely packed with fans, fantasy GMs, gamblers, etc....

Lost in this is the fact the NFL is putting a game on Friday night on opening weekend.

I'm really curious how they battle with college football this next January, now that the CFP is expanded. There will be CFP games now on weekend where the NFL had previously slotted in Saturday games. They often will try and not step on each other's toes.
There is only one weekend where the CFP plays on a Saturday, and that is the first weekend of the CFP where 3 games will be played on the Saturday before Christmas.

It is unknown at present how much the NFL will do to avoid stepping on the CFP's toes. The weekend before Christmas is a weekend where the NFL would normally put a couple Saturday games. The NFL has more and more been bullying other sports by taking over more and more timeslots, but whether they defer to their minor league system is TBD.

mortal kombat

choose your fighter: philly fans vs brazilians edition

Must have been a hellavu sweet cash deal for the Eagles. The tendency has been for home teams that struggle with attendance (relatively speaking) to agree to relinquish a home game and play outside the US. The Jaguars have the most home games overseas (11), followed Oakland Raiders (5), St Louis/LA Rams (4) and Tampa Bay Bucs (4). While a traditional big market/always sold out team is not unheard of to give up a home game, it is not very common either.

The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 made it illegal to broadcast a game within 75 miles of a high school football or college football game taking place at the same time. Link

More specifically, the SBA's allowances don't apply if a game kicks off on Friday night or Saturday "during the period beginning on the second Friday of September and the second Saturday of December in any year from any telecasting station located within seventy-five miles of the game site of any intercollegiate or interscholastic football contest scheduled to be played on such a date." Link

So the bottom line is that the NFL is free to broadcast super early (like this Sept 6 game), or late season (like we have seen for years. They probably won't expand Friday night coverage because television ratings are not usually very game on that night - people go out after work, or it's date night, and the west coast audiencee is still at work. But since it's week one, fans will make an exception in order to finally watch NFL football again.

The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 made it illegal to broadcast a game within 75 miles of a high school football or college football game taking place at the same time. Link

More specifically, the SBA's allowances don't apply if a game kicks off on Friday night or Saturday "during the period beginning on the second Friday of September and the second Saturday of December in any year from any telecasting station located within seventy-five miles of the game site of any intercollegiate or interscholastic football contest scheduled to be played on such a date." Link

So the bottom line is that the NFL is free to broadcast super early (like this Sept 6 game), or late season (like we have seen for years. They probably won't expand Friday night coverage because television ratings are not usually very game on that night - people go out after work, or it's date night, and the west coast audiencee is still at work. But since it's week one, fans will make an exception in order to finally watch NFL football again.
The NFL is quietly starting to test the boundaries of the Sports Broadcasting Act, especially as it relates to streaming (which isn't really "broadcasting" as that term is currently defined). Just this past season we had the NFL stream a Friday afternoon game during the period between September and December. They stayed away from Friday night when HS football is traditionally played, but I am sure somewhere in America they were playing HS football Friday afternoon on Thanksgiving weekend.

I would absolutely love the see the NFL's hubris cost them their antitrust exemption. It would completely upend the League as we know it, and I'll be laughing over the ashes.

Really? How did they become fans? It's hard to imagine in a country where soccer is the national religion.

Mainly people who lived for a while in the USA for studies or working purposes or even for tourism.

And then the ESPN here (actually a Local TV network that have a contract with ESPN/Disney to reproduce part of their content) they actually do a great job covering not only NFL but also NBA and even MLB. They have like 4 channels and are part of any cable TV package for all cable companies so a lot of people have ESPN it's the most popular network for sports here.

In particular with the NFL they did a really great job promoting the league here, the 2 main guys in the prime time games they did a really great job as well in the booth for many years and the sport was growing in public reception like clockwork year by year.

None of this is Giselle related in my opinion. The Patriots have a ton of fans because there is a bandwagon effect when you start following a league from a different country than yours, the same reason there are 49ers fans and Chicago Bulls as well. These teams that dominate for some time they get more TV time.

Last edited:
Eagles get extra rest for their week 2 opponent. Huge advantage. Eagles fans have been whining for years about short weeks, no rest, back to back to back road games etc. Can't complain now.

Longer than the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway? That one’s 23 miles.

It is more of a regional joke due to the % of the population of Portugees living in Fall River, MA

It is more of a regional joke due to the % of the population of Portugees living in Fall River, MA
I am aware. Former New Englander here, with relatives in Dartmouth. :)

Eagles get extra rest for their week 2 opponent. Huge advantage. Eagles fans have been whining for years about short weeks, no rest, back to back to back road games etc. Can't complain now.
I don't see it as a "huge advantage". First of all, they are losing 1 home game relative to most other NFC teams. Second of all, it is a 12+ hour flight each way, which is no small task for a professional athlete. That alone will take up one of their extra "rest" days.

There is only one weekend where the CFP plays on a Saturday, and that is the first weekend of the CFP where 3 games will be played on the Saturday before Christmas.

It is unknown at present how much the NFL will do to avoid stepping on the CFP's toes. The weekend before Christmas is a weekend where the NFL would normally put a couple Saturday games. The NFL has more and more been bullying other sports by taking over more and more timeslots, but whether they defer to their minor league system is TBD.
One weekend I notice that gets largely untouched by CFB and the NFL is the weekend of Army-Navy. I did notice that the FBS still will not have any playoff games over that weekend.

While I understand not having anything other games broadcasted while the game is going, I don't understand why nothing can be broadcast in the evening after the game. (Army Navy is typically a midafternoon kickoff) Is there some sort of contractual agreement here to leave that game as a stand-alone event for the day?

One weekend I notice that gets largely untouched by CFB and the NFL is the weekend of Army-Navy. I did notice that the FBS still will not have any playoff games over that weekend.

While I understand not having anything other games broadcasted while the game is going, I don't understand why nothing can be broadcast in the evening after the game. (Army Navy is typically a midafternoon kickoff) Is there some sort of contractual agreement here to leave that game as a stand-alone event for the day?
Great point. From what I have been able to find on the Sports Broadcasting Act, the rule only applies to a CFB game taking place at that time. IOW the NFL would be within their legal rights to broadcast a game at any point after the conclusion of the Army-Navy game. HOWEVER, another part of the rule is dates going through the second Saturday of December. And that is exactly when the Army-Navy game occurs. It was played on December 9 in 2023, and has never been later than December 14.

So the NFL cannot broadcast a game on that day, but the NCAA is certainly entitled to do so - they just choose not to (other than Division II and III playoff games).

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back