PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: I think the league might need to intervene regarding Redskins TE Jordan Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

He’s been getting concussions for years now. I can’t imagine being in concussion protocol for 6 months. I think someone needs to step in and stop him before it’s too late.

The league has never stepped in and forced a player to retire due to head injuries, but they may want to for their own liability’a sake.

This thread is interesting and is likely to garner some good discussion. Better delete it.

I think at some point you outta undergo education and a waiver to continue to play. The NFL should attempt to do sometning and protect themselves a little bit.

Holy hell. Did not know he's been in the concussion protocol that long. I feel like you'd have to be experiencing some drastic symptoms if it's lasting that long. Hope he is okay.

This is the smart thing to do even if his career is over. By making the team release him rather than retiring first, I believe he gets about $1 million next season from the injury protection benefit.

Why would the League care ? It’s evident all of their protocols are purely for show. The players can all die & the 32 won’t care. Not really, anyways.

I suppose they could intervene to limit damages to their wallets, but the ball is already rolling and this one player won’t make a difference.

The league has never stepped in and forced a player to retire due to head injuries, but they may want to for their own liability’a sake.
That idea raises some very interesting legal questions.... but it sounds like in this case they are keeping him in the protocol indefintely for his own good and perhaps to keep him sidelined this coming year.

Marc Savard type thing.

I dont think any enterprise should have thr power to "force" people to retire outright. Even if its something somewhat reasonable like this

Reed knows whats best for Reed

Can see both sides of this argument.. should they or shouldn't they??

Might be some middle ground that he signs some type of waiver indicating the NFL does not encourage him to continue playing and he has been informed of the consequences of continued play..

OTOH why would another team want to sign him due to his high liability?? Reed has been around for 112 games now of eligibility and has only played in 65 of them.. high risk/low reward player..

This thread is interesting and is likely to garner some good discussion. Better delete it.
Did I miss something? Why would this thread be deleted?

Did I miss something? Why would this thread be deleted?

Just tongue-in-cheek because there are so many bad offseason threads, especially with all the fake Brady news.

Regardless of what the league does I doubt he plays in the NFL again. He’s played 19 games in the past 3 seasons and has now spent a half year in concussion protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back