PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- How good is Peyton Manning all time?

Which 2 are you putting him ahead of

Brady
Montana
Staubach
Starr
Elway
Unitas
Graham

Starr sort of sticks out like a sore thumb on this list. Although you can't deny his form on the toss sweep, I guess.

Brady
Montana
Elway
Staubach
Graham
Unitas
Manning
Young
Marino

Marino is probably physically the most gifted QB on that list, however.

Mike Holley mentioned something that should cement Brady at #1 with no question. Has anyone ever had Brady's longevity at such an elite level. Christ, the guy has been an elite QB for 15 years and even if you concede the point that he wasn't "elite" until 2004, that's 13 years.....and counting. No one has come close to that kind of longevity at such a high level, especially at the game's most important and difficult position.

Manning is truly a great NFL QB, and just because he should no longer be in any discussion as being the GOAT, it shouldn't diminish as pretty spectacular carrer, and certanly he should be in any conversation about being in the top 10 or even top 5.

Manning was an exceptional QB when things were going well. He had several near perfect games against over matched teams in the wild card round. (significantly helps his overall playoff QB rating) His biggest issue is that when things did not go as planned he had trouble gutting out wins. Several times (SD 2006 is one of my favorites) Brady was having a "bad " playoff game yet was able to dig down deep and lead the team to a go ahead or winning score. Did not matter if the weather was ugly (Oak 2001) or the opponent was dominating the line of scrimmage (Den 2015) Brady would just not quit. I have trouble coming up with any post season examples for Manning outside the Pats game in 2006. Legends are made on the biggest stages and unfortunately for Manning he shrunk when it mattered most.

The referenced list had Brady at #1 by a wide margin. It's difficult to even find a published list of all-time great QBs that has Brady below #1. There will always be people pushing back. The great thing now is you can smile and relax. Let them fight consensus opinion for once...a consensus bordering on unanimous. There are already about a dozen blogs from national sites making fun of Dungy's rankings, and Dungy was one of many in that poll. As the GOAT QB argument goes, there's as close to unanimous opinion as it can get. If Brady wins five more titles, anyone who is still a holdover will remain a holdover. The vast, vast majority of objective people have already been convinced.
You win. I'm agreeing with you and somehow still feel like this is a debate. I'm exhausted. :confused::D

I think HGH Sexual predator is one of the best of all time. I include his entire family in this. Avoiding jail time and being heralded as a role model to all young people while re-abusing the survivor is quite the coup. He sure knows how to beat the system.

I put Manning 4th or 5th all time. His individual stats are undeniable. Also, the amount of audibles and control over the offense he had was unheard of before him, he really went towards revolutionizing the position in that aspect. And he does have some post season success, even with an overall spotty at best postseason career.

At his best, he's Dan Marino with a ring.

Brady
Montana
Starr
Marino
Manning

I find it interesting that you omitted Tony Dungy's top 3 QBs of all time (Elway, Young, Rodgers) from your top 5 list.

lol :)

Peyton Manning was an amazing regular season QB. I saw him in games where he clearly had the entire defense moving the exact opposite way the offense moved on every damn snap. It was downright eerie when he was mentally locked in.

He was also a giant nothing in the playoffs, and threw almost twice as many picks (5) as touchdowns (3) in Super Bowls.

Seasons with a top 10 scoring defense: 5 on Colts, 2 on Broncos

BUT HE NEVER PLAYED WITH A DEFENSE

Brady

Elway

Montana

Manning

Marino

Peyton Manning was an amazing regular season QB. I saw him in games where he clearly had the entire defense moving the exact opposite way the offense moved on every damn snap. It was downright eerie when he was mentally locked in.

He was also a giant nothing in the playoffs, and threw almost twice as many picks (5) as touchdowns (3) in Super Bowls.

Seasons with a top 10 scoring defense: 5 on Colts, 2 on Broncos

BUT HE NEVER PLAYED WITH A DEFENSE
You, sir, are incredible. This is a top notch post.

After Tee Martin, he's probably the best all time Volunteers QB ever.

People make a lot of how Peyton was an old time field general who was basically his own OC, but I think the concept is inherently flawed. Bill got inside the head of Jim Kelly and the Bills K-Gun offense when he was the Giants DC, and he did it repeatedly against Peyton later, and it's not like Peyton did great in the playoffs against anybody else either. The whole concept seems tailor-made for regular season flash and postseason crash now that it's not the 1970s and both offenses and defenses are exponentially more complex.

I see him as a bit of an A-Rod. Talented, good on the surface, very professional, works hard, excellent self-promotion which is important for a franchise centerpiece, and certainly capable of great moments, but in the final analysis, substantially less than the sum of his parts.

They spent his entire career waiting breathlessly for "the real Peyton Manning" and he never showed up. Even without taking points off for being a media darling, I don't put him above 12th. Too many other quarterbacks have also been great in the regular season. Manning was one of the best of the regular season frontrunners in NFL history but he just could not be counted on when the chips were down, not in a way that puts him in the running for top 10 all time.

Brady

Elway

Montana

Manning

Marino

Not a dig, NoT trying to diminish the player - actually curious about how people on here feel : How would Elway perform in today's NFL ? Do we think he'd be better /worse / same as he was in his era ?

Greatness transcends era. The really great quarterbacks will figure out a way to thrive in the meta of any era. You are great because you are not just skilled, you also have the intelligence, work ethic and determination to be great. I very much doubt if any of Elway, Montana or Brady would have failed to thrive in any football era.

Considering the number of times the Colts franchise tried to expand protection of the quarterback specifically to protect Peyton... I'm not so sure he would transcend as well.

Not a dig, NoT trying to diminish the player - actually curious about how people on here feel : How would Elway perform in today's NFL ? Do we think he'd be better /worse / same as he was in his era ?

I thought Elway was an exceptional QB. Didn't like him, but he was great. Lombardi's are obviously a big factor but not the only factor, so on everything I would take Elway over Montana and Marino over many QB's with multiple titles, Bradshaw and Eli to name two.

After Manning was drafted in Indy, 6 of 11 first round picks were spent on offensive skill players until they drafted his replacement.

For Brady, only 3 of 14 first round picks were spent on offensive skill players. (Graham, Watson, Maroney)

Maybe the Colts defense would be better if they didn't use a huge amount of draft capital buying Manning new toys? In 2015 announcers kept noting that there wasn't a single first round pick on the Pats league leading offense.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back