PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- How good is Peyton Manning all time?

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Dungy being sully made me think about this question but I have never really done a thread dedicated to it that is super in depth. Well may as well now. This is all about rating Manning in the context of other greats. How high on the all time list should he go? Few QBs are more polarizing when it comes to how they should be looked at in NFL history.

In the end his resume seems pretty strong. To sum it up he won 2 super bowls, made 4 appearances, left the game owning a ton of stat records and managed to do it all going against the GOAT QB/coach combo nearly all of his career. On the surface that sounds like a guy who should be a top 5 staple.

Another side of it is he was average in the playoffs going 14-13, constantly under preformed in those games with top offensive talent around him nearly his whole career and got carried more than not to his 2 super bowl championships playing a support role to a very strong defense and only against opponents who were vastly over matched.

So which is true? Well of course neither tells the whole story and the truth generally is always somewhere in the middle. But it also favors more one side than the other and to argue otherwise it simply fence sitting

So here is the take I believe in. I think Manning is a fairly average HOF QB on the whole. His has remarkable strengths but fairly pronounced weaknesses. He is capable of showing grit and determination in the face of opposition but not consistency. He is a guy who wins when he should and loses when he should. In the big spot he too often looked for someone to bail him out.

One of the best arguments for Peyton is he was going against Brady/BB so much and it hurt his chances to win more. To me this isn't a good argument. Yes there were a few years in the Brady/BB run when they were head and shoulders better than other teams. However generally they were usually more than not one of a number of teams in the mix with a good shot most years and it didn't matter if they were in the same conference or not. Eventually you need to beat good teams to win. To complain about competition being too hard in the salary cap era is generally weak sauce. The fact the Pats have won all their super bowls by 1 score shows they were not so dominant that it was unfair. Also the Pats only stopped Manning 2 times from advancing (03' and 04') that is a mere 2 of his 13 post season loses. The fact those 2 super bowl wins were only by 3 points each for the Pats indicates to me that Peyton would not have simply won 2 more had Brady not existed. He would have faced similarly strong teams and lost. The fact he only won 2 had little to do with Brady/BB if we are to be honest.

Another excuse made is his team often let him down. This is simply not the case the vast majority of the time. When you pay offensive players big contracts it naturally takes away from defense. So if you have a stacked offense (including OL) but your defense isn't great you are simply complaining for having to deal with the cap like everyone else.

Also the defenses of the Peyton were usually not that bad. As it turns out his worse Ds were the ones early in his career. He got his 2 worst out of the way in his first 4 years and in 2002 his 0-41 playoff loss was as much on him as his D. Simply he left them on the field all game and if he managed to score and have a few long drives instead of playing as bad as he did that 41 points given up would likely be a more manageable 30-25 points. Simply put his Ds didn't cause him to lose in the playoffs. This can be gone over in detail but it has been touched a lot.

The biggest issue I have with putting Manning too high is his playoff and particularly super bowl performances. The 2 championships he has won he has been carried mostly by a great defense and won them vs 2 teams who likely had no place being there. Chicago and Panthers were both pretenders. When he faces teams worthy of the game Saints and Seahawks he lost. The damning thing is in 4 SBs he has never had a good game. He never had a 90 QB rating or a game where he threw more TDs than Ints. To put in perspective how unimpressive his wins were his D/STs gave up 27 points in his 2 wins but scored 14 for him (1 TD each in both games) for a net of 13 points. This means on average in his super bowls that he won he needed to score an average of 7 offensive points in 60 minutes.

That is how little he had to do to win the super bowls he won. It is hard to hold those up as being particularly meaningful wins when you have to accomplish so little. When asked to do more he lost with a pick 6 late or just got bulled over.

His most impressive post season win was actually 2006 vs the Patriots and it was at home vs a team with probably an equal D but a far worse offense and it took several things going his way to win it. However it is one game he should be given credit for though it was against a team they frankly should have beaten more easily.

Simply put Peyton sets it up but waits for circumstance to knock it down for him. Either by having a stacked team and/or facing bad teams (usually a combo) and only when this happen can he let himself be carried to wins while on the way making some plays. He did a great job putting himself in position to get lucky every year but it is clear to me he didn't really carry his team victory the way the top HOF QBs do.

He to me is clearly in the 2nd and maybe 3rd tier of HOF QBs and should be listed outside of the top 10 as he actually maximized his potential victories with luck of facing the right opponents at the right times. It was never a question of "why only 2 wins" It really is "He was lucky to get 2 wins" if we are too look at it honestly.

Give him less stacked teams or hardest competition in those games and likely he has 1 or 0. I don't see any way with his play it could be argued he could ever have gotten more then 2 or had any left on the board for him and that is perhaps the biggest dent in his legacy. That he maximized his career and only was able to do this.

Last edited:
I put Manning 4th or 5th all time. His individual stats are undeniable. Also, the amount of audibles and control over the offense he had was unheard of before him, he really went towards revolutionizing the position in that aspect. And he does have some post season success, even with an overall spotty at best postseason career.

At his best, he's Dan Marino with a ring.

Brady
Montana
Starr
Marino
Manning

Those 2003 & 2004 Indy teams made me nervous because before NE made them look mortal, they were smoking hot.

Manning, at his best, was prepared & accurate. A very, very dangerous player.

Those 2003 & 2004 Indy teams made me nervous because before NE made them look mortal, they were smoking hot.

Manning, at his best, was prepared & accurate. A very, very dangerous player.

Before Manning got hurt and even the HGH year when he put up 55 TD's. He was 1 of the best QB's I have ever seen.

Start this off by saying below No 1 GOAT Brady on a list.
To me he was never clutch when it counted. He won a SB vs Bears, I could QB'd and beat Da Bears and he won a SB in Denver INSPITE of him with no HGH. Put him 2 through 10 and give him a banner for participating.

Top 5, but like Mike Holmgren said in the Dungy piece, poor playoffs knocks him down a peg. He did not play well in ANY super bowl, even in SB 41 when he was MVP. His only signature playoff win was against NE in 2006.

Very good analysis @BobDigital

I am inclined to definitely put him in the top 10 of the modern era and somewhere around #5. Personally, I think his MVPs and All-Pro awards were a huge joke. If you went down a list of best seasons, based on passer ratings and wins, Brady has been at least as good a regular season quarterback if not better. When Brady has been in a close race for an MVP award, it's always been "he doesn't need any more" but I can't remember a time Manning didn't get some accolade where had a case for it, including his incredibly underwhelming SB41 performance.

That said, Manning was an amazing quarterback. You watch other players who he is compared to from this era, and I think he is far better than guys like Roethlisberger and Brees. I don't think there's any question he is a cut above other Hall of Fame guys and certainly worthy of a first ballot. He deserves discussion when talking about the history of the position.

Now the huge problem with Manning...

He lacked the iconic moments that come along with being a legend. When you look back at other legends, you remember them at their best, when everything was on the line. The media and Manning apologists were so incredibly forgiving of SO MANY missed chances for Manning to be the hero and put his team on his back that even ONE great game on the biggest stage would have given them their craved signature moment from Manning's career. @BobDigital references the 2006 AFC Championship Game, which I agree is probably his crowning moment. However, that game itself included a pick-6 and ultimate win against Brady, who was badly undermanned on both sides of the ball. I hardly think of that as a type of GOAT performance, whereas with Brady, Montana, Elway, etc. there were so many. Manning had too many opportunities to count where his team (often great teams, like in 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014) needed him to up his game to keep their season alive. Rather, his crowning moments were let downs, technicalities (yes, he did in fact win the game, but it wasn't really due to his magic.)

Last edited:
I put Manning 4th or 5th all time. His individual stats are undeniable. Also, the amount of audibles and control over the offense he had was unheard of before him, he really went towards revolutionizing the position in that aspect. And he does have some post season success, even with an overall spotty at best postseason career.

At his best, he's Dan Marino with a ring.

Brady
Montana
Starr
Marino
Manning
His stats are overly inflated by the era he played in, by his teams selling out to surround him with probowl caliber weapons, and by playing indoors.
I don't think there is, to date, a QB who has had a greater positive effect on his stats than manning.
That doesn't disqualify him from ranking, but it does diminish the value that should be placed on his stats.

Look at it this way.
His care average was 4231 yards and 31.7 TDs.

Those numbers would ranked, in the last 3 years 10,10,9 in yards and 10,5,7 in TDs.
Those numbers are almost EXACTLY what a disappointing Andrew luck put up last year.
In 1986 10th would have been 3328 yards and 19 TDs so you just can't compare cumulative QB numbers across eras and find any value.

That aside, he won, in the regular season. If the NFL did not have a postseason my rankings would have manning in the top 5.
But when you include the post season there is no way he goes ahead of
Brady
Montana
Staubach
Elway
Unitas
Graham
Starr

There are others that would be arguable (aikman, young--who retired with the highest comp %, QB rating, and td/into ratio of all time to date)

Ironically adding the post season moves him ahead of Marino who was a better regular season QB.

Finally your comment about revolutionizing offense is comical. Manning drew attention to himself when audibling. That doesn't mean he did it more than other QBs who weren't drawing attention to themselves. And many QBs in consideration for this list called there own plays.

Like Brady, the immobile Manning will never earn GOAT support from the contingent that values mobility/athleticism. Lets be honest, the public, also known as fools, salivates over the QBs that can run and gun.
That being said......in my life time, no other QB caused me more fear. The guy was always in total control of his offense and for a few years ... unstoppable. BB knows what I'm talking about.
That being said, I am forced to drop Manning (3) below Brady (1) and Montana (2) and here's why.
(1) Brady.....No one has accomplished more with less .....factor in the salary cap
(2) Montana...Joe and his all-star supporting cast were perfect.... in an ununcontrolled salary system
(3) Manning... What great has accomplished less with more?.....always surrounded by #1 draft picks yet limited post season success

Last edited:
Greatest regular season quarterback of all time.

Peyton Manning SB:

4 games
1001 yards = 250/game
3 touchdowns = .75/game
5 interceptions = 1.25/game
QB rating 77.4 (highest 88.5)

Peyton Manning in two SB runs.

4 games
1034 yards 258 YPG
3 TD = .75/game
7 int = 1.75/game
QB Rating 70.5 (highest 81.8)

3 games
539 yards = 180/game
2 TD = .67/game
1 INT = .33/game
QB Rating 75.4 (90.1 highest)

Even in Brady's 2001 where he was a "game manager" he was better than Manning but we'll just do the SB for a comparison

7 games
2071 yards = 296 YPG +46 over Manning per game
15TD = 2.14/game + 1.64/game better than Manning
5 INT = .714/game over an interception less per game and in 3 more games the same total as Manning.
QBR 95.3 almost +25 over Manning all but two games higher than Manning's highest.

He's the second best QB of this generation and one of the absolute best of all time, statistically speaking. However, the game is about winning, and I don't think regular season wins and gaudy numbers matter most. Playoff and SB wins do, and his record speaks for itself. He's been abysmal in the postseason. He has been almost singly the reason why his teams have lost in SB's and playoff games.

But here's what'll happen. The fact that he's been terrible in the playoffs will get swept under the rug time and again, much like everything else (the HGH, the inappropriate college incident, the fact that he really wasn't the reason he has a second SB ring). Meanwhile, Tom's legacy for most will be about deflated footballs and video tapes. People will continue to try to find ways to diminish his accomplishments while elevating that of Manning. As I've said before, I cannot in good conscience call the man a fraud. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I was damn tempted to do so based on my criteria for what makes a great QB. It isn't necessarily just stats and regular season stuff. It's more than that. Manning falls short.

But here's what'll happen. The fact that he's been terrible in the playoffs will get swept under the rug time and again, much like everything else (the HGH, the inappropriate college incident, the fact that he really wasn't the reason he has a second SB ring). Meanwhile, Tom's legacy for most will be about deflated footballs and video tapes.

When it comes down to it, history judges NFL quarterbacks on ONE major category.

Is Dan Fouts often mentioned among the league's most legendary quarterbacks?

What is the one thing that's said about Dan Marino every time his name is brought up?

Do people talk a lot about Joe Montana's passer rating or pro bowl selections?

Do you happen to know the statistical prowess or all-pro award count for Bart Starr, Otto Graham, or Roger Staubach?

Everything else is essentially a footnote. It's all about the ring count. Unless you are trolling around comments sections looking for negativity, you'll find a near unanimous consensus that Brady is the greatest QB ever, and this is less than a year removed from his BS suspension.

When it comes down to it, history judges NFL quarterbacks on ONE major category.

Is Dan Fouts often mentioned among the league's most legendary quarterbacks?

What is the one thing that's said about Dan Marino every time his name is brought up?

Do people talk a lot about Joe Montana's passer rating or pro bowl selections?

Do you happen to know the statistical prowess or all-pro award count for Bart Starr, Otto Graham, or Roger Staubach?

Everything else is essentially a footnote. It's all about the ring count. Unless you are trolling around comments sections looking for negativity, you'll find a near unanimous consensus that Brady is the greatest QB ever, and this is less than a year removed from his BS suspension.
You could be right, and I'm hoping you are. My experience thus far has been it's hard to find many people who will go all out (in my personal life anyway) and say Brady is the G.O.A.T. My cousin just the other day brought up the whole "system QB" argument. Gladly, it doesn't annoy me anymore, as I've been saying since around 2005 that Brady is the better QB. But there is something to a fan wanting to see his player receive the recognition from other fans and media guys. I'd be lying if I said I don't like it when he receives credit from people other than NE fans and media guys.

I just feel when it comes to the Patriots there is always someone waiting in the wings to try to diminish what they've accomplished. Only time will tell what actually happens, but as far as the main point about where Manning ranks, I just don't think it's worth discussing him being in anyone's top five because of what he has done in the postseason, which falls in line with your thesis. He just hasn't won enough when it's mattered most. However, I still run into people who would gladly take him over Brady. We live in a superficial world where things like gaudy statistics still weigh so heavily for most people. Manning definitely has those.

You could be right, and I'm hoping you are. My experience thus far has been it's hard to find many people who will go all out (in my personal life anyway) and say Brady is the G.O.A.T. My cousin just the other day brought up the whole "system QB" argument. Gladly, it doesn't annoy me anymore, as I've been saying since around 2005 that Brady is the better QB. But there is something to a fan wanting to see his player receive the recognition from other fans and media guys. I'd be lying if I said I don't like it when he receives credit from people other than NE fans and media guys.

I just feel when it comes to the Patriots there is always someone waiting in the wings to try to diminish what they've accomplished. Only time will tell what actually happens, but as far as the main point about where Manning ranks, I just don't think it's worth discussing him being in anyone's top five because of what he has done in the postseason, which falls in line with your thesis. He just hasn't won enough when it's mattered most. However, I still run into people who would gladly take him over Brady. We live in a superficial world where things like gaudy statistics still weigh so heavily for most people. Manning definitely has those.

I'll take five rings over "I'd rather have..." any day. When Brady is gone, they'll realize how gullible they were to believe another player can win at .778 ever again, in any era, with any coach. Brady's winning percentage and postseason records are about as unbreakable as anything in American sports. "The system" though. In other words, I have nothing left but need to get in the last word.

I'll take five rings over "I'd rather have..." any day. When Brady is gone, they'll realize how gullible they were to believe another player can win at .778 ever again, in any era, with any coach. Brady's winning percentage and postseason records are about as unbreakable as anything in American sports. "The system" though. In other words, I have nothing left but need to get in the last word.
You'll get no arguments from me. But the basis of everything I'm saying is that in general these are the things I continue to hear. That's all I'm saying. I'm not arguing with you or trying to justify it. I'm merely saying people, like Norv Turner who you quoted, have continued to try to find ways to discredit Brady and elevate Manning, and my feeling is that this will continue throughout the years. They're careers have mostly run parallel to each other and so the comparisons will too. In your next response, just type in the words "last word." :D:p

You'll get no arguments from me. But the basis of everything I'm saying is that in general these are the things I continue to hear. That's all I'm saying. I'm not arguing with you or trying to justify it. I'm merely saying people, like Norv Turner who you quoted, have continued to try to find ways to discredit Brady and elevate Manning, and my feeling is that this will continue throughout the years. They're careers have mostly run parallel to each other and so the comparisons will too. In your next response, just type in the words "last word." :D:p

The referenced list had Brady at #1 by a wide margin. It's difficult to even find a published list of all-time great QBs that has Brady below #1. There will always be people pushing back. The great thing now is you can smile and relax. Let them fight consensus opinion for once...a consensus bordering on unanimous. There are already about a dozen blogs from national sites making fun of Dungy's rankings, and Dungy was one of many in that poll. As the GOAT QB argument goes, there's as close to unanimous opinion as it can get. If Brady wins five more titles, anyone who is still a holdover will remain a holdover. The vast, vast majority of objective people have already been convinced.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back