PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Good Luck To Everyone During the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends live in upstate New York and one winter a few years ago they got 10 ft. of snow. I believe it was over one weekend too. It made the national news.

Still 34-5 inches is nothing to sneeze at. I went to law school in Boston and they were a lot less prepared for inclement weather than I would have guessed. One time we got like 4-5 inches and my car got stuck a steepish hill on the street where I lived and then a mail truck got stuck too and then slid right into my car. It's like nothing gets cancelled but the streets weren't safe either.

The fact that they're measuring this storm in "feet" is insane...unreal. Please stay safe and be extra careful over these next few days. So far the news definitely isn't encouraging in terms of the amount of snow as well as high winds, so definitely take care of yourselves. :)

Bring it. It's just not winter up here in Maine without at least one good old-fashioned blizzard. Having grown up in Farmington as kid, this is par for course. For those that don't have much experience in it then by all means please be safe.

Hi temp 83 down here tomorrow, but only 78 with the wind chill ;)

low 59

:eek:

YOU are a real rat ba$tard...we MUST be related....
trailer2.gif

I've grown up here so I'm used to a lot of snow and big storms - but this should definitely be a challenge. :eek:

I'm 12 miles from Block Island by boat...predicting 6 inches there....in Charlestown 18-24 inches...meh....4 wheel drive....hard wired generator...Poulan snow thrower....the only thing that bothers me is losing Cox access for a few days if these winds are indeed as high as they predict

I got tons of canned foods like beans, soups, tuna, PB&J, gallons of water and 1.75L of scotch and .75L of bourbon. Don't be surprised if 4 or 5 days from now I post:

Hey man! Is the storm over yet?

:faint:

From Upton NWS...

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Predicting 24"-28" in town, which means we'll get more up here in the mountains. I'll be out in my Subaru for a while...it's got a small lift on it, mud tires, and I've tuned it up over the years. Should be good fun until we're in the 15" range. :D

Besides, I've got people to take places. My cousin has to work until 3pm and she drives an Eclipse. She's gonna need a lift.

That's probably close to the truth. I moved to Mass. from the Midwest 24 years ago. It still boggles my mind how wimpy New Englanders are about weather -- especially driving when it's snowing or raining.

That's funny because I would say the same thing about people in the midwest when I lived out there.

That's funny because I would say the same thing about people in the midwest when I lived out there.

Where, exactly? Because the Midwest invented severe winter weather. A blizzard might close schools back there, but it generates nothing like the Chicken Little reactions you get here. That includes people driving 10 mph on the highways, draining the gas stations and raiding grocery stores like it's the apocalypse. It's supposed to be in the 40s and rain Monday, for heaven sakes. Midwesterners just shrug their shoulders, "Damn, more shoveling."

Where, exactly? Because the Midwest invented severe winter weather. A blizzard might close schools back there, but it generates nothing like the Chicken Little reactions you get here. That includes people driving 10 mph on the highways, draining the gas stations and raiding grocery stores like it's the apocalypse. It's supposed to be in the 40s and rain Monday, for heaven sakes. Midwesterners just shrug their shoulders, "Damn, more shoveling."

Sometimes I wonder about you, Scribe. lol.

I did a 6 month stay in both Colorado and Wyoming. Free ways are much straighter, snow chains are encouraged. There's guys and gals out there that can get those things on under 5 minutes. Closer you get to the big cities like Denver the worse the driving is simply because of congestion. Especially I25.

I get a kick out of the people with 4 wheel drives that think they are the bomb passing me going well over the speed limit just to see them plowed into a snow drift 5-10 minutes later because they didn't know braking distance applies to them as well. Of course it's not funny if someone is injured though.

I spent two years living in Des Moines, but my job put me on the road a lot from Grand Rapids down to Lincoln, Nebraska and I used to hear the same things there that I do everywhere. I guess it's just perception. I grew up in Maine and this was the way you expected winter to be and I used to shovel my neighbors driveways to make a buck when we had a day off from school. I suppose folk who live in southern NE could tend to be that way. It probably has to do with the proximity to NY and all the b!tchin' they do. People in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan tended to have more of an attitude like I grew up with while those down in Lincoln and Des Moines tended to complain and freak out more.

Snowmageddon!!!!

batten down the hatches people. 30 inches headed to south eastern ma. i hope everybody has at least three weeks worth of bread and there own private milking cow. we are all doomed. :(:(

so glad i bought a roof rake 2 years ago after that winter from hell. i had a ice damn on the back of my house that really suked. i vowed never again. this time i have my roof rake and my ice melting pellets that i will lay on top of my gutters.

Re: Snowmageddon!!!!

Meh,

I just opened up the sauna yesterday along with breaking the ice in the pond for those cold immersions. Can hardly wait to beat the path in the snow from the sauna to the pond and back. Bunch of girly mans 'round these parts these days. :D

Some beef jerky and an extra 2 liter that is as far as I am willing to go.

Time to reminisce about the 2003 snow game vs. Miami, which the Pats won 12-0. If I recall correctly, we had about 3 feet of fresh snow the day/night before for that one. The seats in Gillette were drifted over. I trudged through snow up to my waist -- literally -- to make it there. Then had to dig my seat out. Wasn't that storm similar to what we're getting now?

Just imagine if this was Super Bowl weekend next year in the Meadowlands ...

Attachments

• 2003 12-0 snow game.jpg
    2003 12-0 snow game.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 53

I really need to get a freaking generator. If I lose power for 5 days again like last ice storm, I'm going to break down and cry like a 5 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes