PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Golden State Warriors Sputtering Toward the End

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard people argue that 86 is the GOAT but, why didn't they have a better record? League was a bit tougher back then wasn't it? I think there were some expansions teams around 96.

Good questions.

My take:

The Heat, Magic, Hornets and Wolves joined the league in 1989 or so. They were brutal. It was a guaranteed win when your team played those guys. Then you had I think the Grizzlies and Raptors in the mid 90s. Until they became competitive, IMO those teams did pad the win totals of the marque teams such as Bulls, Pistons, etc.

With that said, those Pistons/Bulls teams were top 10-top 15 of all time. 94-95 Rockets were ok too but meh.

As it relates to the '86 Cs, Bird had a bad back for the first 3 months of the season and as a team were not playing their best the first 2-3 months of the season. Once he got squared away and the new players like Walton, etc started jelling and McHale came back from his injury by late January onward they were as dominant as any team in NBA history.

So....4 hall of famers in their prime and no watered down teams make the 1986 Celts the GoAT team of all time.

Kerr is supposedly going to be meeting with the players today to see if they would rather get rest or chase the record. We all know which way they'll want to go (the record). As the coach and the leader, he should override them and not even make it a decision. It was a convincing win but this team still looks like they lack the energy and the pop that they had earlier in the season. Either way, nothing would make me happier than to see a team finally shut Jordan and those Bulls the hell up so if they go for it and get it, then I'll be happy.
I don't think his style is totalitarian in general, and certainly not enough to take the opportunity for a record out of his team's hands because they look a little tired and it's going to be hard. If he benched people at this point, I certainly wouldn't think "wow what a leader" - it would be the equivalent of BB taking Brady and Moss out in the 4th quarter of the regular season Giants' game. Why stop now?

They are just getting back Iggy and Ezeli, two key players in their rotation. It would actually behoove them to play together the last few games and get their comfort levels and chemistry back, because they're going to stomp the 8 seed and have more days off in the playoffs anyway. They won't need to gear up for about 10 days after the regular season anyway.

They are going to break or tie the record. And that's a good thing, because no sport spends anywhere near as much time worshiping at the altar of someone who stopped playing nearly 20 years ago. Having another all time team is great, and it doesn't have to be a "yeah but they wouldn't beat the Bulls" thing, because nobody was doing that to the Bulls about the Lakers team whose record they broke. Records can get broken, it's ok.

I've heard people argue that 86 is the GOAT but, why didn't they have a better record? League was a bit tougher back then wasn't it? I think there were some expansions teams around 96.
The league was a lot less top heavy then. There was a much stronger middle class.

The league was a lot less top heavy then. There was a much stronger middle class.

Really? Huh. Because the 4 seed in the East in 96 was the Cavaliers, whose best players were Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill. The 4 seed in the West was a Lakers team led by Cedric Ceballos and Nick Van Exel. The league was extraordinarily top heavy during that time. And if you go back to the 86 Celtics era I'd say the same thing (leaving out the transcendent C's and Lakers). The reverence people have for those goon Pistons teams is goofy, because they're responsible in large part for the hack the **** out of the opponent approach that eventually led to all those 74-72 barn burners between the Heat and Knicks that nearly ruined a great sport.

The league has never been stronger. People laughed at the idea of taking a German guy 9th overall when Dirk was drafted in the last year of the Bulls dynasty. More players are playing world wide than ever before. Now they have a drawing pool from around the world, offensive schemes have never been more complicated, and the product is extremely fun to watch on a nightly basis.

The Pistons would get mopped by the good teams of today. They had a very solid backcourt, and not a single player who could defend a bigger wing. They'd be relying on Dumars to check every good wing scorer, and then asking him, Microwave and Lambert to be their only guys who could stretch the floor. They started Rick Mahorn, who was not skilled at things other than elbows and hard screens, at power forward. You wouldn't be able to play him in a playoff series today, because the skilled 4's of the league would eat his lunch.

Side note--- The disgrace they pulled walking off the court after getting their assess kicked when the Bulls had matured and it no longer worked to just knock them down because they didn't have the athletes to compete with them gets so overlooked in the annals. I'm glad that led to Isiah getting left off the dream team because Stockton was better anyway and Isiah is one of the most overrated players in league history, and also a punk.

/rant

Edit---realized you were talking 86, not 96. 96 was extremely top heavy, less so in 86. But even then, the 51 win Rockets were the 2nd best team in the West, and that team had garbage guards. The 57 win Bucks team was the 2 seed in the East that year, and their roster was not exactly brimming with world beaters, just 3 pretty good players in Cummings, Pressey and Moncrief. The way people remember that era is essentially because of the Lakers Celtics and 76ers, and then there was a lot of mediocrity.

Last edited:
I don't think his style is totalitarian in general, and certainly not enough to take the opportunity for a record out of his team's hands because they look a little tired and it's going to be hard. If he benched people at this point, I certainly wouldn't think "wow what a leader" - it would be the equivalent of BB taking Brady and Moss out in the 4th quarter of the regular season Giants' game. Why stop now?

Doesn't matter now. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the team is very interested in going for it.

Really? Huh. Because the 4 seed in the East in 96 was the Cavaliers, whose best players were Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill. The 4 seed in the West was a Lakers team led by Cedric Ceballos and Nick Van Exel. The league was extraordinarily top heavy during that time. And if you go back to the 86 Celtics era I'd say the same thing (leaving out the transcendent C's and Lakers). The reverence people have for those goon Pistons teams is goofy, because they're responsible in large part for the hack the **** out of the opponent approach that eventually led to all those 74-72 barn burners between the Heat and Knicks that nearly ruined a great sport.

The league has never been stronger. People laughed at the idea of taking a German guy 9th overall when Dirk was drafted in the last year of the Bulls dynasty. More players are playing world wide than ever before. Now they have a drawing pool from around the world, offensive schemes have never been more complicated, and the product is extremely fun to watch on a nightly basis.

The Pistons would get mopped by the good teams of today. They had a very solid backcourt, and not a single player who could defend a bigger wing. They'd be relying on Dumars to check every good wing scorer, and then asking him, Microwave and Lambert to be their only guys who could stretch the floor. They started Rick Mahorn, who was not skilled at things other than elbows and hard screens, at power forward. You wouldn't be able to play him in a playoff series today, because the skilled 4's of the league would eat his lunch.

Side note--- The disgrace they pulled walking off the court after getting their assess kicked when the Bulls had matured and it no longer worked to just knock them down because they didn't have the athletes to compete with them gets so overlooked in the annals. I'm glad that led to Isiah getting left off the dream team because Stockton was better anyway and Isiah is one of the most overrated players in league history, and also a punk.

/rant

Edit---realized you were talking 86, not 96. 96 was extremely top heavy, less so in 86. But even then, the 51 win Rockets were the 2nd best team in the West, and that team had garbage guards. The 57 win Bucks team was the 2 seed in the East that year, and their roster was not exactly brimming with world beaters, just 3 pretty good players in Cummings, Pressey and Moncrief. The way people remember that era is essentially because of the Lakers Celtics and 76ers, and then there was a lot of mediocrity.

I think you are underrating those Pistons teams a little. If anything they would do quite well in this era as they played small ball back then and played suffocating defense. They were also an incredible rebounding team. Defending the wing? Rodman and Sally could shut down anyone. They could also go inside with Edwards and when he was let loose (which wasn't often in DET) Mark Aguirre would own the floor.

Pistons were totally unconventional for that era....but it worked. They had talent to spare but that was not what they were about.

The Warriors are playing a very dangerous game here. As those of us who witnessed the 2007 undefeated season will tell you, the amount of intensity it takes to overcome intense opposition to pursue records, eventually can take its toll on a team, and cause fatigue.

That said, you've made all these sacrifices to come this far. When you're this close to achieving something that only happens once in a generation, you owe it to yourself to follow through.

I think you are underrating those Pistons teams a little. If anything they would do quite well in this era as they played small ball back then and played suffocating defense. They were also an incredible rebounding team. Defending the wing? Rodman and Sally could shut down anyone. They could also go inside with Edwards and when he was let loose (which wasn't often in DET) Mark Aguirre would own the floor.

Pistons were totally unconventional for that era....but it worked. They had talent to spare but that was not what they were about.

They were a very good team indeed, and I agree that they played suffocating defense in an era that didn't prioritize it. Rodman at the 3 worked defensively for sure, and though that would certainly hurt floor spacing, Laimbeer being a great shooting big would sort of cancel that out. I think they benefitted greatly from the Lakers and Celtics aging and the Bulls being very young, so that they were really the only dominant team whose players were in their primes, but I suppose that can be said about many teams throughout history.

They were a very good team indeed, and I agree that they played suffocating defense in an era that didn't prioritize it. Rodman at the 3 worked defensively for sure, and though that would certainly hurt floor spacing, Laimbeer being a great shooting big would sort of cancel that out. I think they benefitted greatly from the Lakers and Celtics aging and the Bulls being very young, so that they were really the only dominant team whose players were in their primes, but I suppose that can be said about many teams throughout history.
I agree with catching LA and BOS on the downswing and CHI not ready .

72 down. 1 more to go. :cool:

CfuYZ5mUYAAs66O.jpg

72 down. 1 more to go. :cool:

CfuYZ5mUYAAs66O.jpg

I'm sure you've been asked before, but would you be so kind as to break your Avatar down? It looks like you spliced someone ~ possibly someone really ugly!! ~ on top of one'f those FootBall Babes, and as a great appreciator of hideous things, I'd just like to be able to fully appreciate this one. :D

Addendum: I just can't squint well enough to make it out. If that's actually a Babe, my Apologies to'er. :p

I thought they were washed out and would even collapse in the playoffs but after today's game against the Spurs they are alive and kicking. It's just too much talent, against this team every other team needs to go for the jugular, if they play bad for 5 minutes the game is over, the GSW put the game out of reach.

Even as a Bulls fan I think it's cool what they just achieved today, remains to be seen if they are going to write a new history, the Grizzlies can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

Last edited:
Steve Kerr was on that team too, right?
Yeah he made that crazy shot in the finals against the Jazz I think it was a game 6 or something like that I was just a kid. He also won a championship with the Spurs .

They still have to win it all for it to really matter. Still a great accomplishment though.

They look better during their first round 'bye' and recharge the batteries a bit.

And yes, I realize there isn't a true 'bye' in basketball but they will be able to sleep walk through the first round and win.

If only the Patriots had been able to seal the deal in 2007...

Ten years later and we're still trying to live it down, not being able to answer "19-0" every time some one brings up cheating or spygate. smh :(

Having to deal with Giants fans shouting Eli >>>>> Brady. Sad to think there exist a reality where they did win it and we're stuck in this one.

If only the Patriots had been able to seal the deal in 2007...

Ten years later and we're still trying to live it down, not being able to answer "19-0" every time some one brings up cheating or spygate. smh :(

Having to deal with Giants fans shouting Eli >>>>> Brady. Sad to think there exist a reality where they did win it and we're stuck in this one.

***k them. Pats are awesome and their team sucks. 2007 was almost a decade ago. They are losers for living in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back