PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: George "The Animal" Steele has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lived and breathed wrestling as a kid. Attitude era was unreal. Undertaker, Stone Cold, Triple H, Kane, Rock, Foley, McMahons. Paul Bearer too. Good ole JR on the mic. The King was remarkable as a bad guy.

Sad that Nicole Bass, George, Chyna, Rowdy Rowdy PIPER, Warrior, Umaga, Chris Benoit, Test, Paul Bearer, Crusher have all passed in the last decade.

I hated Mr. Fuji and Toru Tanaka. I wonder if the NFL league office learned all of their underhanded methods from those two.

Always loved the green tongue and eating the turnbuckles. Classic stuff, today's wrestlers are so plain and uninspired compared to the greats of yesteryear.

Everyone had a gimmick back then and got it over. So much better back then. Rest In Peace George.

My other memory was Dorchester 'a own Pete Doherty was in the card. When he entered the ring, he pointed to his head and proclaimed "it takes brains" to which I responded, "yea a lack of them" loud enough to make people around me laugh. Pete didn't seem happy...
The Duke of Dorchestah!

I hated Mr. Fuji and Toru Tanaka. I wonder if the NFL league office learned all of their underhanded methods from those two.

I remember one match I went to where the crowd was cheering for Tanaka.

It was an unusual pairing of two teams of villains in a tag team match. It had Turo Tanaka and Krippler Karl Kovacs vs the Mongols.

As the match progressed the Mongols were teaming up on Tanaka and whipping up on him, and every time Tanaka tried to tag out Kovacs would turn his back on him and refuse to help him.

Finally Tanaka had had enough and flipped Kovacs into the ring and whipped up on him while the Mongols stood and watched.

Good script.

EXTREMELY NSFW!!!

It was the NFL league offices that supplied those guys salt to rake across their opponents eyes when they were losing. I heard it was a young intern... Roger Goodell.

Loved him and the WWF of that era. Looking back, it is pretty funny how the foam from the turn-buckle would completely incapacitate an opponent.

Those wrestlers had intestinal fortitude.

When I watched in the early 80s, Steele was still a "monster" heel, but he wasn't at the level he was in the 70s. His character had kind of run it's course as a main eventer. Still, he was entertaining and unusual performer. I remember he would get interviewed about an upcoming match and all he would do was stick out his tongue, **** his head and roll his eyes for a while, until finally shouting "Break!" into the microphone and wandering away. As it got to the mid 80s and Steele's career was winding down, he became a fan favorite and was allowed to say a little more on camera.

I forget where I read this, but I liked this story from when The Animal became infatuated with Miss Elizabeth. Randy Savage was very jealous and protective of Elizabeth from any advances, real or imagined. Since the story line called for Steele to be smitten with Elizabeth, Savage was very suspicious, even though it was just part of the script. Finally, Steele had to tell Savage that he was married and he had a daughter Elizabeth's age. He had absolutely no designs on her and there was zero chance of anything happening.

So what was the story with his green tongue?

I never watched wrestling until the attitude era around 99-2004. I didn't know the wrestler that passed away but from the comments he was an amazing guy that entertained millions during his wrestling days. RIP

I was never a wrestling fan what I remember him is in the movie Ed Wood, he played Tor Johnson and he was fantastic in the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes