PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle

It's been said a trillion and one times. But here it is again: Peyton Manning is a guy who just plain can't win the one-and-done game. During college at Tennessee, Manning would always dig himself a hole and then find a way to come back just enough to lose respectably and avoid a bad name. Now, he'll blame a Tom Brady or his kicker (who he called a drunk "idiot kicker" btw) or whatever else he can come up with to avoid the defamation. Earlier this year, I forget which game, he called a timeout in the third quarter because the crowd was celebrating an offensive play for too long and they were screwing up his silent count. He threw up his hands and ripped off his helmet and pointed at the crowd. Imagine what it's like to have to be a fan in Indy. Ew.

rusH1023 said:
It's been said a trillion and one times. But here it is again: Peyton Manning is a guy who just plain can't win the one-and-done game. During college at Tennessee, Manning would always dig himself a hole and then find a way to come back just enough to lose respectably and avoid a bad name. Now, he'll blame a Tom Brady or his kicker (who he called a drunk "idiot kicker" btw) or whatever else he can come up with to avoid the defamation. Earlier this year, I forget which game, he called a timeout in the third quarter because the crowd was celebrating an offensive play for too long and they were screwing up his silent count. He threw up his hands and ripped off his helmet and pointed at the crowd. Imagine what it's like to have to be a fan in Indy. Ew.

Dude if you are going to post at least take the time make a post that is close to correct. It was the Jags' game. The crowd was going nuts because the refs had made a horrible call. By the way, how would noise screw up a silent count?

I'm sure this board would be saying the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

Look, I hate the Colts more than any team in the league but if you can't admit to feeling embarrassment when both Ty Law and Willie McGinest go down on the same play late in the game 2003 @Indy only to have McGinest sprint 50 yards when he made the game-saving tackle then you have completely crossed over into homerland.

Faking an injury as a means to stop the other team's progress is unsportsmanlike and flat out cheating in my mind. It bothers me to this day that the team I root for employed tactics like that.

workhorse said:
Looks like the NFL clarified the situation a bit. It's the first part of the article.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061006/SPORTS03/610060451/1100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So let me get this strait: the jets do what the dolts have done for years, and then dungy says this:

That, Tony Dungy said, was counter to the spirit of the rule.

However the jets did nothing wrong, yet now this:

The Colts coach acknowledged that more than a decade ago, a portion of the rulebook dealing with the no-huddle offense was rewritten, technically allowing the Jets' maneuver. On Wednesday, though, Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, sent all teams a videotape and memo informing them the spirit of the rule will be enforced from here on out.

and

If an offense substitutes, then tries to catch the defense with too many players on the field while it is trying to sub, the play will be voided and the offense will be warned. Do it again, and the offense would draw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

It's getting mighty deep again, as the ballwashing continues:rolleyes:

Last edited:

If BB was in this situation, he might be PO'd too - quite possibly most PO'd at himself for not knowing of a rule change....but I also think he'd be smart enough not to gripe about it in public.

He'd simply use the letter of the law to his advantage, and be smart enough to understand that its the letter of the law that ultimately counts.

I think the fact that Dungy was clearly caught unaware about the rule change is what's most at issue here... and he can't blame anyone but himself about that.

I believe BB has griped publically about the actual letter of the law NOT being enforced before, but that's a bit different than Dungy griping about the spirit of the law, even as he acknowledges that nothing illegal was done.

The problem here is the Colts have been treated differently than the Jets were being treated on Sunday. In previous games the officials would sometimes not put the ball in play if the Colts subbed while running the no-huddle, but didn't allow the defense to sub also. That is what Tony was PO'ed about. If you don't let one team do it, how can you let another do it? And mtbykr, the only time the Colts would draw a penalty on the defense is when the Colts were not subbing and the defense tried to. The Colts were very familiar with the way the league was calling things since they were the first team to start running the no-huddle again in recent years, and I'm not talking about the two minute drill.

There are two reasons the Colts run the no huddle. One, it allows Peyton to see the defense and call the play based on the defense. Second, if the offense isn't subbing, then the defense has a hard time trying to and you can create mismatch if you catch a team's run defense on the field or the nickle package and then work your offense against their weakness.

mtbykr said:
It's getting mighty deep again, as the ballwashing continues:rolleyes:

Actually, if you think about it this helps teams playing against the Colts' no-huddle. It really doesn't help the Colts any. All it does is set the league straight on how this should be called.

Re: More on the no huddle and Colts

... Are you kidding me?

Well it makes sense that Tony would be PO'ed. If you are told by the league that you have to run your system one way, but then they start calling it a different way and don't tell anyone, I'd be mad too. Especially since the majority of the Colts' offense was run under in the no-huddle and they were playing by the guidlines originally told to them.

coltstissuecover.jpg

This is a cover that slips easily over a cube box of tissues, fits the box snugly; an encased ribbon is ready for you to tighten and tie into a bow with the tissues easily removed from the top - no elastic to pucker. It is hand washable and reuseable - made for the crybaby Indianapolis Colts

workhorse said:
Well it makes sense that Tony would be PO'ed. If you are told by the league that you have to run your system one way, but then they start calling it a different way and don't tell anyone, I'd be mad too. Especially since the majority of the Colts' offense was run under in the no-huddle and they were playing by the guidlines originally told to them.

The ironic thing is that the only other team I've ever seen hurrying to catch 12 men on the field consistently has been the Colts. It's part of their gameplan when the D subs (I understand that the rule states that when the O subs that the D has to have time, but not the other way around).

But the kicker is that they are preaching about the SPIRIT of the rule. A team that absolutely THRIVES on taking advantage of every single cheapo means to move the ball is worried about the SPIRIT of a rule?

Well how about the next time you're playing against Detroit or Houston you think of the SPIRIT OF THE GAME and stop passing when it's 38-6 in the 3rd quarter?

I hate the Colts for just these sorts of reasons. They are whiners, and bad sportsmen.

How can the Colts not know the rules? The Competition Committee is Bill Polian's own little fiefdom.

And, speaking of "spirit of the rules", when are they going to start throwing flags when Manning never comes to a set position behind the center? Or, when his linemen are jerking their heads around to see his gesturing?

I don't get this part:

"We were going to do it," Dungy said. "What we were going to do was put 13 on the field and as soon as they substituted, we were going to snap the ball."

How can he snap the ball when he has 13 players on the field?

BradyisGod said:
I don't get this part:

"We were going to do it," Dungy said. "What we were going to do was put 13 on the field and as soon as they substituted, we were going to snap the ball."

By bending the rules to suit them winning, as per usual. Duh.

BradyisGod said:

Didn't you hear? Polian got a "point of emphasis" this year allowing the Colts to have two additional players on the field.

The extra guys are hard to see on defense sometimes since the Colts only play midgets.

Well, that does it for me....I can't stand the COLTS!!! I used to really respect and appreciate Dungy as a good NFL coach, but this is just rediculous!! Sounds like a bunch of whinning. He states that no one else knows the rules either!:eek: OK...if your an NFL head coach making $$$$$$$, you HAVE TO KNOW the RULES!!! I call BS. He should have just taken his lumps and moved on (they won the game!)....now he looks like an idiot!:bricks:

Go Pats!

Jay

It's always hillarious to hear this kind of stuff form the dolts. Dungy didn't know the rule, got burned, complained (that's not the SPIRIT of the rule), and now the NFL will do it's best to accomidate the dolts. Keep it up guys, you still haven't won anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back