PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Dungy whining about Jests No Huddle

I swear to god, Dungy would cry if the sun wasn't shining directly on his and only his ass. It wouldn't be good enough that the sun was just out.

lobster said:
I didn't watch the game, but based on the quote that "Pennington ran his at a quicker pace, and made it hard for the Colts to substitute", the applicable rule is this:
"With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field."

Note however if the Jets were using the no-huddle and Dungy was trying to substitute when the Jets were not, then that is NOT an application of the rule.

I think that this is the certer of the problem. The Colts know full well what can and can not be done running the no huddle since they do it nearly the entire game. I have noticed while attending games that the refs started holding the Colts offense up when the substituted to allow the defense to make subs too.

dhamz said:
That isn't what the announcers said about the play. Since I didn't see what he did, I'm simply going by what they said he did.

I wasn't paying 100% attention to exactly where he was, but he had been involved in a pass play near the endzone on the far side of the field and when the training staff got to him he was beyond the Colts' huddle, nearest their sideline. I may be a little off on this because I was wondering why Hayden was trying to "tough it out" and didn't just go down to the turf and why Tony was flipping out on the sideline since he never does.

Emergency Rules Commtiee

This just in rules committee had a emergency meeting last night When the Colts play the other team will not be allowed to run the no huddle just Peyton. The Colts front office must have cried load enough

Last edited:

I expect a full investigation by the NFL and a rule change by next season. Polian and Dungy are hammering out the wording as we speak.

What a hypocrite. Manning trys to do before there can be subs on the play too. He plays cheap, he wants the easy penalties.

Dungy's just complaing because the no huddle decreases the TV timeouts which means less time for commercials otherwise known as "Peyton's Place".

Last edited:

Patriotic said:
Dungy's just complaing because the no huddle decreases the TV timeouts which means less time for commercials otherwise known as "Peyton's Place".
True dat! Is there anything he won't be a shill for?

Has there ever been a more girly-like team in the history of football?
Serously.
Between Polian, Dungy, Manning, and Harrison there is not an ounce of testosterone between them. Having a soft, cry-baby coach sets the tone for the whole organization, their owner is an ignorant, classless fool who constantly publicly humiliates himself and makes his organization look like sore losers and cry-babies, and their QB is such a jackass he publicly blames his offensive line when he loses a game, and throws his arms up like 'what can I do?' when he's getting shut down by good defenses. Clearly immature and classless, this team doesn;t deserve to ever win and I hope to god they never do. They are everything you don'y want your football team to be as far as behavior goes. They're sissies and it's obvious to all why they are always quickly dispensed of come playoff time each year. They can blame the refs, the weather, the other team cheating, their offensive line, etc. etc. all they want, but the answer to all their problems is staring back at them from the mirror, and until that guy goes away, they will always be the ultimate losers.

I got the pleasure of watching that game, and right before Hayden went down claiming of an injury, he was running to the sidelines with absolutly no limp. Then all of a sudden, just like in a bad drama, he grabs the back of his leg and falls to the ground. Even the announcers said before he went down, "He doesn't seem hurt to me." Then after his acting job and walked to the sideline, waited for the next play to end, SURPRISE!!! he was healthy.

Next I expect to hear Dungy demand that other teams should be required to call the plays into the Indianapolis sidelines prior to running them.

IndyPatriotsfan said:
I got the pleasure of watching that game, and right before Hayden went down claiming of an injury, he was running to the sidelines with absolutly no limp. Then all of a sudden, just like in a bad drama, he grabs the back of his leg and falls to the ground. Even the announcers said before he went down, "He doesn't seem hurt to me." Then after his acting job and walked to the sideline, waited for the next play to end, SURPRISE!!! he was healthy.

It was a freaking cramp. Ever had one? They can come out of no where and the hurt like he!!.

mavfan2390 said:
What a hypocrite. Manning trys to do before there can be subs on the play too. He plays cheap, he wants the easy penalties.

There is a difference. When Peyton draws a penalty on the other team it is because the defense is subbing when the Colts' offense did not. It's all about that whole "spirit of competition" thing. I've been at games and seen the refs hold up letting the Colts snap the ball if the offense subbed and the defense was trying to sub too.

I understand that most on this board hate the Colts, but don't let that hate blind you.

That would be the correct application of the rule. However I believe NFL coaches are PROHIBITED by the NFL from publicly criticizing the referee's or the manner in which they refereed the game - and so are the players. Belichick for example was fined by the NFL a year ago or so for his behavior (and was absolutely BS about it.)

INQUIRING FANS WANT TO KNOW - IS DUNGY SOMEHOW ABOVE THE NFL'S RULES THAT HE CAN PUBLICLY ACT IN SUCH AN UNSPORTSMANLIKE MANNER?

lobster said:
That would be the correct application of the rule. However I believe NFL coaches are PROHIBITED by the NFL from publicly criticizing the referee's or the manner in which they refereed the game - and so are the players. Belichick for example was fined by the NFL a year ago or so for his behavior (and was absolutely BS about it.)

INQUIRING FANS WANT TO KNOW - IS DUNGY SOMEHOW ABOVE THE NFL'S RULES THAT HE CAN PUBLICLY ACT IN SUCH AN UNSPORTSMANLIKE MANNER?

Re-read what Dungy said.

"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,'' he said without finishing his thought. "We've been running the no-huddle for a long time and we've been informed of the rules. I guess I've done a bad job of understanding what they are. We'll leave it at that.''

You really think that he was being "unsportsmanlike" with those comments? He never mentioned the refs and if he placed any blamed, he put it squarely on himself.

workhorse said:
Re-read what Dungy said.

"We've got some bad rules that either I don't understand or. . . ,'' he said without finishing his thought. "We've been running the no-huddle for a long time and we've been informed of the rules. I guess I've done a bad job of understanding what they are. We'll leave it at that.''

You really think that he was being "unsportsmanlike" with those comments? He never mentioned the refs and if he placed any blamed, he put it squarely on himself.

He never said "the refs".

But he did use weasel words and double talk to say "the refs". I don't that he should be fined. I think that he should STFU.

BTW, I really dislike Polian, Peyton, and I hate the Colts. But, I don't dislike Dungy. I just think that the Colts will never win a SB with him as HC and Peyton as QB.

workhorse said:

And you actually think he was being serious in that last comment? Come on. He was clearly taking a shot at the refs.

dhamz said:
And you actually think he was being serious in that last comment? Come on. He was clearly taking a shot at the refs.

Ya, he was probably taking a shot at the refs, but you can't fine him for saying that HE doesn't understand the way the rules were explained.

PATSNUTme said:
He never said "the refs".

But he did use weasel words and double talk to say "the refs". I don't that he should be fined. I think that he should STFU.

BTW, I really dislike Polian, Peyton, and I hate the Colts. But, I don't dislike Dungy. I just think that the Colts will never win a SB with him as HC and Peyton as QB.

I'm not a big fan of Polian either, except for the fact that he can build a team that stays around for years without falling off like the Ravens or Titans or Rams. I can kind of understand the Peyton factor since he garners a lot of attention and is enemy number one for most Pats's fans. I am glad to hear that you don't dislike Dungy. He is truly one of the class acts of the NFL, both on and off the field. I just don't know what it is about the post season that he can seem to overcome.

workhorse said:
Ya, he was probably taking a shot at the refs, but you can't fine him for saying that HE doesn't understand the way the rules were explained.

He won't be fined and he shouldn't be.

If he coached anywhere else, no one would probably even notice. Dungy himself rarely does much if any whining but Polian and Manning have done so much in recent years that when Dungy does say something it gets lumped in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back