PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "do your job" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I felt strangely disconnected before this game. I can't think of a time where I wasn't fired up for a Jets game. How can you not be when the last 8 games have had 7 point or less margins, including a come from behind win just a few games ago. But today I just did chores, bills and paperwork, and didn't even think about the game until I looked at the clock and realized it was 12:30. There wasn't any flutter you get before games, or fear that you could lose. It was just, blah. I wonder if any of you guys felt this way too. I can't even imagine how Adolph Goodell is going to react to this one, but as always, I'll look forward to finding out. (if I can find it) ;)

The title is inspired by the fact that this was just such a workman-like effort by all 3 phases of the game. Nothing spectacular, or highlight reel material, it was just a good team playing a bad team and the good team not allowing the bad team a minute of hope that they could win the game. Lets break it down -

1. OL - Still working hard to improve. The Jets still have 3 very good first round picks playing on that DL, and Harris is still a quality LB. The Pass protection seems to keep on getting better. Once again there was only one sack and it was more a coverage issue. NO one was getting fast pressure on Tom. The images of a battered Tom Brady valiantly getting up after one hit after another from last year's AFCCG are fading fast.

b. The run game however was a different story. We ran the ball 37 times, (that's the good news) but only for 3.1 yds per carry (the bad news), and there weren't any consistent holes for the backs to get through. There were a couple of third and shorts that weren't made and there shouldn't have been against that defense.

2. RB's - You know how much I love LGB, and stuck with him going back to TC. However I thought he looked a little sluggish today, and not nearly as explosive as we've seen in prior games. Nothing drastic, just a number of 2 yd gains that had been 4 yd gains a few weeks ago, Lewis zigged when he should have zagged a couple of times, but overall I'm sure the 16 carries will benefit him going forward. I wish he was more involved with the passing game. He had only one reception. JW, had a nice TD catch, and a bad drop. He had a nice 14 yd run, but it was on 3rd and 20, where you should find some room.

Again, just a very workman like effort for this game by this group

3. Receivers - Only about 25o receving yds, so we won't have a lot of receivers up for OPOW awards. ;) But there were some moments. Prime of course was the first target, the first catch, and the first TD for Matt Lengel, and it was a beauty, because it wasn't one of Brady's better throws, and turned from an easy, walk in TD, into a good recovery by Lengel who had to reach back to get it and keep the DB from knocking it down. Who knew he even had catching skills???? ;)

a. Mitchell had very pedestrian numbers which might have been a lot better if he hadn't been interfered with so blatantly on the long pass that set up the end of the half TD. He looked like he was expanding his separation and the Pass was almost perfect. If the DB hadn't held his off hand, he probably would have added about 60 yds to his total. But even beyond that, 2 of his 3 real receptiona were very tough grabs that he made look easy. I keep liking this kid more and more

b. Jules looked he is rounding into playoff form as he starts to inch closer to another 100 catch/1000yd season.

c. You can't hate what you saw from Michael Floyd, 3 targets, 2 tough catches, even if only one counted. The sideline one where he caught the jump ball, just out of bounds, gives us a glimpse into what he can bring to this team. If JG was 6 inches lower with that TD attempt at the end, we'd have had people in AZ muttering into next week. ;)

d. How Gronk like was Marty's TD. Again only 2 catches but, a nice glimpse at what we can expect come the playoffs.

4. QB - A better day for Brady than last week I thought, even though the raw stats don't show it. But in the important areas Brady did well. He looked like his knee and thigh problems were under control. That play where he did his Fran Tarkington imatation and hit Jules deep, was a beauty. And I think all those deep low percentage throws he made today was by design. BTW- if you are too young to not get the Tarkington reference, first feel ashamed, and then google him and learn. ;)

5. General offensive thoughts -

a. I thought a LOT of things the offense did were design in the same "workman-like" manner with the playoffs in mind. Once it was clear how this game was going to go, Josh almost retreated into a shell like a paranoid turtle, so he didn't show much in certain areas. Plays like screens and delays to the RB's didn't exist for the Pats. Lews never became part of the passing game. We stopped going to Bennet after the first quarter completely, even though it was clear to me, he could have done some damage to that Jet Secondary. Nothing fancy or deceptive in the running game. Nothing but our basic stuff in the short game. It was like we just "did the job", won the game, got off the field and showed as little as possible.

b. Given the number of Jet defensive players that would be seen limping to the sidelines during this game, it makes you feel good to see that this offense is not only skilled, but physically tough. That toughness will become more important as the weather deteriorates and the games become more important.

c. You have to love LGB's 1100 yds and 17 TD so far, but I don't think I've seen a player who is having such a great time during the game as Blunt. He runs the ball for a 2 yd gain, gets hit by a half dozen guys, and gets up smiling, toss the ball back to the ref, tells a quip to the guy who crushed him, and gets back to the huddle. NO one is having more fun playing football on this team than LGB. It seems that he is having the same good time on a 2 yd gain as he does on a 10 yarder. He's a joy to watch play, even though I did criticize him a bit above.

6 DL/LB's - I know it looked at time like Robinson and Powell were running rampant over the Pats, but when the dust cleared the RB's just managed 96 yds on 27 attempts for just a 3.5 ypc average. So in the end the run D did the job again. The pass rush had some great pressure in the first half including 2 sacks, but like the offense seemed to go very vanilla in the 2nd half and wound up with only 2 for the game. Not a whole lot of pressure compared to the last 2 weeks, but again I think that was by design.

a. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the DL was that the Pats played most of the game without its, best DLman. It came to light in BB's presser that Malcom Brown didn't play in this game until the last series (coaches decision). ::eek: We will never know exactly what happened here, because BB never throws his players under the bus, or gives the media anything unnecessary. but it is interesting to note that the Pats allowed only 3 points without BOTH their best LB and DLman.

b. Kudos to ERoberts who had 11 tackles and assists in the game which was his best since early in the season.

c. Kudos to Van Noy and McClellin. Van Noy had 7 Tackles and assists and could have had a couple of more. He had to go check his knees after Powell buckled him a couple of times with some great moves. McClellan ended up with only a couple of tackles but had several pressures/hits.

Both are becoming a bit more important to this defense with every passing week.

DB's - Even BETTER than last week. Foutes was constantly whining about the Jets drops, and there were a couple (just like the Pats had), but some of the things he was calling drops were well covered players, and passes that were tightly contested, DESPITE perfect throws. Both Butler and Rowe had great picks, because of their great coverage.

a. I can almost hear Eagle fans whining "Why didn't he ever look like that when he was here". ;) Rowe had at least one good year in Philly IIRC, but was simply horrible for a stretch before he came here. It's taken a long while, but Rowe's play has improved SIGNIFICANTLY over the last half of the season, and it should be noticeable to even the most casual observer how far he's come since the start of the seaon. You have to wonder what they are doing wrong in Philly that we can rehabilitate TWO guys who were simply BAD with the Eagles and make them into key contributors with us (Rowe and Chung)

b. Malcom says, "Take THAT, you pro bowl voters." He too seems to be taking his game to even a higher level as we close in on the playoffs.

c. You can never hate watching Jordan Richards and Nate Ebner be your 2 Safeties and watch them do a good job at the end of this game. People make fun of Tavon Wilson because he wasn't good enough to get on the field here. Maybe the reason wasn't that he sucked, but rather he was behind 3 very good S's. BTW- he's having a great year as a starter in Detroit. He even has 1o more Tackles than Hightower. :eek:

d. we even saw Cyrus Jones show some tight coverage at the end. I think this kid can be a player, but baring injury, it won't happen for him until next season.

7. ST- Great special teams today. KO coverage was outstanding. Punt coverage was outstanding. The Ghost hit his FGs and was masterful with his KO's. It will never get any play from the analysts, but our special teams are often visibly better than most of our opponents, just because of their great consistency. When the games get even more contested in the Playoffs, that's an important advantage, why BB seems to expend so much effort to make them that way.

8. General observations;

a. I can imagine JG checking his computer to get the Oakland score and go, Oh F*ck, just like I did when I just checked myself and saw them up 34-14. Looks like more mop up duty for him next week ;)

b. Bills managed to lose another close one. I hate Rex as much as the next guy, but unless they know they can get their dream HC, and I have no idea who THAT might be, Buffalo would be fools to let him go.

c. It might have been done with blue smoke and mirrors, but Matt Moore has lead the Dolphins to 2 straight 34 point days. That team is real, having won 9 of their last 1o. The Pats BETTER bring their A game next week. These aren't your usual Phins, and Gase isn't another bad AFCE HC.

d. HOOORAYY for the Browns.

e. The Titans were a team I felt would be a tough out in the playoffs, but their season ended with Mariota being carted off, plus a loss against the Jags. BTW this should be a good lesson for us to remember that ANY NFL team can be hard to beat. The Titans were the new hot team in the AFCS going into this game, and now they are dust.

f. What a waste of a Gene Steratore visit. Another competent effort by that crew as usual. I think they were into the 2nd quarter before they dropped their first penalty flag. I saw the Pats get one hands to the face flag that I thought was weak, and the Jets get one defensive holding call that was equally weak, but that was about it. If this crew did every Pats game, not only would they be called fairer, they would be a lot easier to watch.

g. I would have liked it better if JG had been allowed to sling it in at least one series in the 4th quarter. He made a nice read on his TD pass attempt to Floyd, but it was a touch too high.

Great win, of course. We got out fairly healthy, and we have a reason to be interested in the next game. It WILL be for something, plus we have some questions to still answer down in Miami. I look forward to you comments and responses, as usual. Let's begin.

Not our best day running, but we have the personal to keep with it this year. I would put this game in the plus column for rushing. I think Blount may have been protecting himself some this game and if that was the case I am ok with it.

Tom has added that alley oop pass to his repertoire this year. Scares me every time he floats one up, but he has had good success.

McClellin has been playing to his contract lately

Van Noy and Roberts have delivered the production we expected from Collins. I thought Roberts was practice squad material and given what we gave up for Van Noy I thought he was likely just a special team player when he came on board. Great play from the LB today with no Collins and no Hightower.

Butler, man three turnovers, what a day.

Good to see Floyd have some success. He has trials ahead, but success at work can go a long ways in hard times.

in the opposite of do your job, the vikings secondary decided to as a unit go against game plan, and have their best DB not shadow jordy nelson.

Nelson had a monster game.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: ALP
-Let's please take a moment to appreciate what a monster game Malcolm Butler had against the Jets. I haven't seen that level of dominance from a Patriots DB since... dare I say it, Darrelle Revis? Two Interceptions and a fumble recovery. I feel that locking up Butler to a long-term contract is crucial for our team's future defensively. He is the #1 CB who stirs the drink.

-Blount is enjoying a historic season for the Patriots with 17 rushing TDs to date. To put that in perspective, the previous holder, Curtis Martin only had 14 TDs. Let's also appreciate what a great job the offensive line is doing in general this season. Thank goodness Dante came back to coach em up!

-The AFC playoff picture changed significantly today sadly due to injuries. Both Marcus Mariotta of the Titans and Derek Carr of the Raiders are gone due to Saturday night injuries. Would these have not happened on Sunday? We'll never know. I feel bad for those players, they had done so well and did not deserve to end their season early that way.

-Bennett is looking like he can be a go to target in the redzone. That is comforting with Gronk out for the rest of the campaign. It's encouraging that the 'new guy' Floyd caught a couple of tough balls. We're going to need his height and athleticism in the postseason as well. Teams tend to tighten their belts in the redzone when the postseason runs around.

-Finally, can we give kudos to the new #1 defense in the NFL? After Saturday's performance, that title is pretty much a lock for the Pats as we enjoy a 30 point advantage over the Seahawks. Unless there's an unlikely shootout vs the Dolphins next week that is. It really is a total roster effort. From the defensive backs to the linebackers to the defensive linemen. They are all "doing their job". To replace both Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins in the same season, and not skip a beat, nay to actually improve is an amazing job by BB and the coaching staff. GM BB seems to be doing well to serve Coach BB.

-That's all for now. Thanks as always for the post Ken. And please everyone at Patsfans enjoy a wonderful, safe, and happy holiday season!! See you guys again next year when we face off against the Dolphins! Go Pats!!!

Cyrus Jones has tons of talent but it is all about if he can get his head on right. That will have to wait till next season likely. I don't want to see him vs Miami if they coming playing to win. They are not a team we can take lightly. I am confident the Pats will win but they need to keep rolling to do it and a bad fumble could tip things.

Hopefully Denver loses and Miami sees it as their bye week. I doubt that will happen just cause this year the Pats have had to fight for everything they were given and I just think that will continue.

This Pats Defense is ready. The playoffs can't come soon enough. I am not worried about playing anyone and having it be exposed. It might get scored on but I am confident it will not be torched no matter who they play. If they give up more than 21 points to anyone the rest of the way be it Pitt or Atlanta or Dallas or anyone I would be surprised.

This is about our Offense doing its job. The Pats had some red zone issues. The loss of Gronk is being felt there and particularly when they can not run the ball within 5 or so yards they have had issues throwing it in. It is not like they can't but that has clearly been affected. They need to release Bennett more and hopefully Floyd makes an impact there in the playoffs.

I love how our offense is playing though when it comes to ball security. Brady is taking very measured risk and that compliments the make up of the team. He knows they don't need to score 30 to win and as long as the D is not hung out to dry he just needs to make a few key plays convert some TDs and wait for a match up instead of forcing something. It is a very methodical approach and it gives your opponent no chance to get back in it once you get up.

The fact he can do this style is a testament to the D and also the Os ability to score a decent amount without much risk. It reminds me a lot of 2004 when the Pats just leaned on opponents until they fell over and it seemed like they didn't get many chances to get back in it once behind as well as the lead continued to expand.

Last edited:
You have to wonder what they are doing wrong in Philly that we can rehabilitate TWO guys who were simply BAD with the Eagles and make them into key contributors with us (Rowe and Chung)

Don't forget Dion Lewis originally comes from their scrap heap.

Love reading your posts. Thanks Ken. Just one contribution... Fran Tarkenton. ;)

Great post - lots of unsung heros today. 11 tackles for Elandon Roberts - he was all over the field.

a. I can almost hear Eagle fans whining "Why didn't he ever look like that when he was here". ;) Rowe had at least one good year in Philly IIRC, but was simply horrible for a stretch before he came here. It's taken a long while, but Rowe's play has improved SIGNIFICANTLY over the last half of the season, and it should be noticeable to even the most casual observer how far he's come since the start of the seaon. You have to wonder what they are doing wrong in Philly that we can rehabilitate TWO guys who were simply BAD with the Eagles and make them into key contributors with us (Rowe and Chung)

d.
Look who they jettisoned on the offensive side of the ball.............
LeSean McCoy 2000 yds rushing- 600 yds receiving in 2 yrs since leaving philly

DeSean Jackson 2500 yd receiving in 3 yrs since leaving Philly

Maclin 1500 receiving yards since leaving in 2 years

That’s 3000 yards of offense a year……

Was at the game today behind the Pats bench (and right behind Dion Lewis' mother and brother, both of whom were cool to talk to). A few observations:

- Butler's coverage all game was on point. On a handful of plays, I simply watched him work and it's something to see. He was a lot more aggressive I thought than what I've seen previously this season, which is saying something.

- On the flip side, I don't think I saw anyone as disinterested in football as Revis today. He Cromartied a handful of tackles and was a spectator at times during play. His fall is as far as it is sudden.

- That Malcolm Mitchell shoestring catch in the first quarter was tremendous hand-eye coordination on his part. Brady fired it pretty hard at his feet and MM's reflexes were outstanding.

- Cyrus Jones looked good in coverage at the end. He played his man tight, and had he turned his head on that last pass, he might have had a chance at the ball.

- Watching the Pats rotate players both on offense and defense was something else. The way they can kill you, not just on offense, but also on defense is by putting all kinds of different combinations of players out there. It has to be a small hell for opposing coaches to keep up with it all.

- Jordan Richards was in warm up mode the entire game. He was raring to go. Just kinda interesting.

That's about it for now. Ready to pass out. Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah to all y'all.

All right, a few things I found interesting:

1- Seems like Nick Folk has really struggled against the Patriots since he hit that game-winner (WHICH SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ONE :mad:) in 2013. I'm pretty sure he's had a miss or a blocked kick every year (or every game) since then, and yesterday was no exception.

2- We are blessed to have the Special Teams unit that we do. Slater Da Boss who's made his 6th (!!!!) Pro Bowl recently, Nate Ebner, J. Jones and Brandon King have all contributed as gunners, wedge blockers and even returners. C. Jones aside (I hope he gets some confidence for next year) this will be a huge advantage for us come playoff time.

3- I am sooooooo happy for Matt Lengel. Following the practice reports like I have been all season he's gotten a few "player of the week" awards, so it didn't surprise me to see his hands be so fluid on that TD. What surprised me was that he was on the field, lol....just another guy the defense has to worry about ;) But seriously, that catch reminded me of the Matt Mulligan TD catch against ATL in 2013, how about y'all? Oh, and anyone still miss AJ Derby, who is dropping passes and fumbling (as BB sips another drink)?

4- Brady was ****ING SICK!!!!! His passes were so accurate, on-target...that TD throw to White was sweet...the TD to Bennett showed crazy pocket awareness...and he even did some Michael Jackson-esque spin moves (AT AGE 39!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Brady has been our 16 year long Christmas/Hanukkah/whatever gift. Hope we appreciate this.

5- I bow to the greatness of Scar and the OL. But most of all....Marcus. ****ing. Cannon. Wow. Whata story. He DOMINATED his men all game long. I've never seen such a drastic turnaround. Amazing story. He was THE lightning rod this offseason, as well as the OL being a question mark. No more. Even the tiny scare of Solder taking off a few plays after being stepped on in a pile was missed by a lot of folks because Fleming did all right-ish.

6- Brady compared Mitchell to Gronk in terms of hands. That was on full display today.

7-I loved when Eric Rowe reminded Robinson to look at the scoreboard when he made that catch on him. Robinson will have a lot of problems in this league if he continues to hold the ball like he's carrying a loaf of Wonder bread.

8- JG showed great poise. After seeing Matt Barkley **** it up with the Bears, I think they would benefit from a JG.

9- Before the game, some fans were concerned that the Jets would give their best effort because of Bowles's incident with kidney stones (BTW, get well soon Coach). I said to them, if guys like Revis can get paid tens of millions of dollars and play the way he has this year, why would THIS finally be the moment he magically turns "motivated"? Sure enough, the only guys who gave enough effort was Powell and Quincy Enunwa (Jets have a good one here, d%#*!@t)

10 - Going for a FG down 41 on 4th down was the ****tiest and saddest decision I've seen this season. Disgusting. Calling a TO in the 1st half to piss off BB and TB was even more sad. They stuck it up their a**es and scored right after that, loved it.

As you can tell, this game had me fired up. I'm from NY so I love these types of games where I can wear my Pats beanie in public and all I see are sad faces. Happy Holidays PatsFans and enjoy!

Last edited:
AtomicDawg said:
6- Brady compared Mitchell to Gronk in terms of hands. That was on full display today.

For anyone that didn't know.

Handsize
Gronkowski: 10.75"
Mitchell: 10.5"

Last edited:
Assessment right on PFK..

The moral of the story is do not snub Butler for the Pro Bowl he played out of his mind yesterday and was great to watch..

9% third down efficiency for the Jets..

8 for 24 passing, 128 yards and 3 int for the Jets... that is a passer rating of 12.5.

Darelle Revis is done, the end to a great career... but he either has lost interest or has lost his ability, but he is a shell of what he once was..

NYJ QB's stink, for their sake maybe Hackenburg is the answer..

At the end of the day the Jets left town fighting among themselves and making plans for the post season..

Roger descended to the basement at 345 Madison Ave. for a good session of "scream therapy"...

While the Jets suck, you just don't see blowouts like this in the NFL too often. This Is the type of game that is so humiliating to the losing team that head coaches get fired the next morning. Only reasons why Bowles won't get fired today is because it's Christmas and because of his health.

Assessment right on PFK..

The moral of the story is do not snub Butler for the Pro Bowl he played out of his mind yesterday and was great to watch..

9% third down efficiency for the Jets..

8 for 24 passing, 128 yards and 3 int for the Jets... that is a passer rating of 12.5.

Darelle Revis is done, the end to a great career... but he either has lost interest or has lost his ability, but he is a shell of what he once was..

NYJ QB's stink, for their sake maybe Hackenburg is the answer..

At the end of the day the Jets left town fighting among themselves and making plans for the post season..

Roger descended to the basement at 345 Madison Ave. for a good session of "scream therapy"...
Pretty sure that if there was any chance at all that Hackenburg was the answer, they wouldn't be so terrified to play him even one minute.

All right, a few things I found interesting:

10 - Going for a FG down 41 on 4th down was the ****tiest and saddest decision I've seen this season. Disgusting. Calling a TO in the 1st half to piss off BB and TB was even more sad. They stuck it up their a**es and scored right after that, loved it.

As you can tell, this game had me fired up. I'm from NY so I love these types of games where I can wear my Pats beanie in public and all I see are sad faces. Happy Holidays PatsFans and enjoy!
You know, AD, that was my initial thought too, when they lined up for the FG. But then I started to think like a coach. First, IIRC the chances of getting a TD from the 10 in one play is something less than 10%, and that's if you have a competitive team, which the Jets weren't that day. Second, there IS a difference losing 41-3 than 41-0. Getting shut out is tougher to overcome than puting up at least SOME points. I know it sound odd, but the fact remains. Besides they "earned" that garbage time drive, and Bowles must have felt they were better off at least getting something out of it. If the ball had been on the 4 or 5 where the odds greatly increase, then I'm sure he would have gone for it.

BTW- I probably would have gone for it, but I wasn't a great HC. ;)

Well, let's put it this way.

The coach of the team I root for didn't go for a field goal with time waning, down 16-0, just to avoid a shutout. He had the cojones to go for it. He didn't give a damn about the shutout. That made me happy. JMHO. :)

- Watching the Pats rotate players both on offense and defense was something else. The way they can kill you, not just on offense, but also on defense is by putting all kinds of different combinations of players out there. It has to be a small hell for opposing coaches to keep up with it all.

That's about it for now. Ready to pass out. Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah to all y'all.
This is a GREAT point, Nick, that, we as fans, too often take for granted. This staff has ALWAYS been exceptional at making ingame subsitutions. This has been especially critical these days, where so many players need to shuffle in and out, on both sides of the ball, depending on the down and distance, formation, or game plan situations, almost every play.

Its too bad we don't focus on what it takes to prepare for such a smooth operation (99% of the time). We have become so used to it, that when the Defense screwed up a substitution a couple of weeks ago, it made the news. :eek: Yet it is something that happens regularly with most teams. Thanks for the insight, and reminding us how this is just another thing that separates the Pats from their opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back