PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Did the Bucs SB loss Break Patrick Mahomes?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Did the Bucs SB loss Break Patrick Mahomes?

• Yes

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • It's more his family

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • It's Andy Reid

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • He is rebelling against the worst fanbase in all of sports

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 24 26.4%

• Total voters

amfootball

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I have been reading ChiefsPlanet since Sunday's game because it has been so delicious and I came across this gem of a thread. The OP wonders if the Bucs SB is when Patrick's game took a step back given his struggles this season culminating with a complete collapse in the second half to the Bengals. What say you? I mean this would not be the first time Brady and his team broke a QB and its franchise.

Here are a few snippets:

From my end I think this year was hard because of a few things and you can probably go back to last years Super Bowl to start it all ... here is why from the Superbowl vs. Bucs to now that I've been brought way down and I'm sure a lot of fans feel very similar.

He does not look like the guy we had in 2018, guy looked fearless and fired up and never lost a game by more than 8 points even with a porous defense. Even with the picks that year was one of the best "eye test" seasons I have ever seen of a QB on any team at any time.

2020, The Super bowl, when he got killed ( I get the Oline) etc although he made some crazy throws that no one could make he seemed "real" for the first time. We got smoked and he wasn't really a game, I think many of us
put Mahomes in that "super hero" mold and that game seemed to break him.

2021 Stats wise people will say this was his worst year but I think this year was just "different". The entire year he looked different than 2018 and 2019, long were the days where he was just spinning it and going down the field, we got smoked by the Bills at home, we got complexly stomped by the titans, this NEVER happened in the first two years or first two year and 2020 leading up to the super bowl. But you could see something was wrong. Again I don't know what it was or what changed and it could be that he has just cracked, I really don't know but he isn't the same quarterback we had in 2018 and 2019.

Here is why I'm a bit Melancholy about Mahomes, in 2018 and 2019 he looked like a cheat code on video games, like he was "way better" than any quarterback we had ever seen in the NFL. I couldn't even think of a comparison in those years, I mean we never lost by more than 8 in two years, that's crazy! Now he still looks good but nothing like those first two years, he isn't as firery, he doesn't seem to have that chip and just kinda does what he does but is must more timid.

Here is where it hurts, the Bengals are not a very good team, sure they are better than average but looking at their win vs. the titans was super fluky, truly a titan collapse vs. a Bengals earing it. But playing us at home, being up 11 at halftime with Mahomes there should of been a zero percent chance we loose the game unless Mahomes get hurt and pulled out of the game. The guy cracked, he is different now and not the 18,19 version anymore. If we had him we win that game 52-21 or something like that. He just isn't what he was and I hope its a "pressure of life kind of thing" and he is able to manage it better.

The true loss to the Bengals hurts the most because we lost to a slightly above average team that lost to the Jets and Browns twice up 11 at halftime with the best QB in football, or at least we all kinda thought that. The reason it hurt more than any other is because he looked broke, like he was a bit apathetic, I hope he figures it out.

The difference as a fan in having the "best QB to ever play the position" vs. "A good top 5 QB currently in the league" are very different.

Chiefs Mahomes and Last season - ChiefsPlanet

Chiefs Mahomes and Last season The Lounge
www.chiefsplanet.com

I don't know how much was that game specifically. We see it a lot: A hangover for the team that lost the Super Bowl. It's a mental (and partially physical thing), you play a TON of football late into the season, and then have a massive let down. The fact that Brady and the Patriots avoided that in 2018 is just another testament to how special they were. Most teams/QB's don't recover from that in one year.

I also think, despite still having Hill and Kelce, that Mahomes' supporting cast took a hit. Watkins never lived up to his draft hype, but he was an under the radar third down outlet for Patrick, and Hardiman wasn't really that guy. Hardiman was drafted as Hill insurance when they weren't sure if he would be suspended or not. Also Damien Williams was their third down back, which left another hole there.

This led to a slow start, which forced them to play on wild card weekend, and just added another week for their flaws to be exposed. They were still really good, but like most great teams they just couldn't maintain the same talent three straight years. Turnover comes for them all.

No.

He's still probably the 1st QB I'd take if there were a fantasy draft. The problem is he has been super overhyped. He does have weakness in his game. Often leaves the pocket when there's no need to do so, wants the Hero play, and frankly teams play them disciplined now.

He's going to have bad games every QB does.

It's an interesting debate because Chiefs fans are twisting themselves into a pretzel to understand what happened to him in that second half. I do think something snapped for him in that SB. His tendencies for the first time were used against him and teams this season used that same game plan and the Bengals did it to perfection.

The issue for him is like every great QB who has ever played, you have to figure it out. NFL defenses always find ways to slow you down and he had such a red hot first 2 years starting it was impossible to keep that up BUT he has really had some head scratching play on top. Something is definitely in his head. I also believe losing to Brady TWICE in the post-season did damage him. He has been compared to him since 2018 and to get curb stopped by him in the biggest game has a psychological effect. It feels like he is just trying too hard to me.

Chiefs fans need to chill out.

A full career as a starting QB takes time. Just because Mahomes is not winning every single year does not mean he has lost his luster. His 2018 - 2019 run caused some recency bias, and it looked like he was unbeatable, and now we realize that he is mortal like every other player.

The Patriots looked like they'd never lose again after 2004. Look what happened, roster attrition, Brady lost an AFCC game and a Super Bowl in consecutive years, got hurt and missed a season, had a down year upon his return, then still did not win another title until four years after returning to form.

Chiefs fans need to chill out.

A full career as a starting QB takes time. Just because Mahomes is not winning every single year does not mean he has lost his luster. His 2018 - 2019 run caused some recency bias, and it looked like he was unbeatable, and now we realize that he is mortal like every other player.

The Patriots looked like they'd never lose again after 2004. Look what happened, roster attrition, Brady lost an AFCC game and a Super Bowl in consecutive years, got hurt and missed a season, had a down year upon his return, then still did not win another title until four years after returning to form.
Yup and they under value the competition. Other teams get paid too and have great players in their own right as well.

It's an interesting debate because Chiefs fans are twisting themselves into a pretzel to understand what happened to him in that second half. I do think something snapped for him in that SB. His tendencies for the first time were used against him and teams this season used that same game plan and the Bengals did it to perfection.

The issue for him is like every great QB who has ever played, you have to figure it out. NFL defenses always find ways to slow you down and he had such a red hot first 2 years starting it was impossible to keep that up BUT he has really had some head scratching play on top. Something is definitely in his head. I also believe losing to Brady TWICE in the post-season did damage him. He has been compared to him since 2018 and to get curb stopped by him in the biggest game has a psychological effect. It feels like he is just trying too hard to me.
Well, Brady is retired now so let's see how he does next season.

Well, Brady is retired now so let's see how he does next season.
I think you should give him a hug, Deb...and dry his iddle widdle tears...then give him a pat on the bum bum and tell him "go get 'em kitten....er...tiger!"

LOL another Bucs thread....

Brady has ruined what is expected of quarterbacks.

This is a great point. With one Super bowl win and two appearances, Mahomes already has a better trophy shelf than 99.999% of the QBs who have ever played, and one on par with at least half of the QBs in the Hall of Fame. Marino made it to one Super Bowl and lost it. Rodgers won one and hasn't been back since, same with Brees. The second best QB that played for a large chunk during Brady's career (Peyton) has two rings and has a Super Bowl loss equally as bad (arguably worse given he theoretically had a functioning OL that day) as the one Mahomes had against the Bucs. The standard for typical great QB play is much lower than what Brady did.

He was on a tear from the 2nd raider game up until halftime of last week (7.5 game stretch) so hard to attribute anything to last year. . That play before half clearly affected his confidence

Sort of ot but I do wonder if teams can duplicate what the Bengals did against that offense. With the bucs it was more of their front just overwhelming the chiefs o line, that’s obviously something you cant call a blueprint.

This is a great point. With one Super bowl win and two appearances, Mahomes already has a better trophy shelf than 99.999% of the QBs who have ever played, and one on par with at least half of the QBs in the Hall of Fame. Marino made it to one Super Bowl and lost it. Rodgers won one and hasn't been back since, same with Brees. The second best QB that played for a large chunk during Brady's career (Peyton) has two rings and has a Super Bowl loss equally as bad (arguably worse given he theoretically had a functioning OL that day) as the one Mahomes had against the Bucs. The standard for typical great QB play is much lower than what Brady did.
Someone on another forum had a decent idea. Let's give Brady some special title that removes him from the conversation and go back to Montana being the widely accepted GOAT. That way these other QB's have a realistic target to shoot for.

Brady and Montana are co-GOATS in my book
Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes