PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Derek Carr Signs 5yr $125M Extension With Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Carr is the best young QB in the game. He's a stud. JG has played 2.5 games. Right now it's not even a discussionable topic. (I think I may have just made up a word). JG has potential but as my old coach used to say potential is worth a warm bucket of spit.

If JG is our next QB which I think he will be somehow he'll wind up as the better QB, anywhere else he might flop do to playing for a broken team/system

The Raiders fell apart when he went down. Ironically, his injury made his value obvious to everyone. I think he deserves every penny.

JG might be at the same level, but until he has a team's fortunes tied to his performance, he'll never see that kind of money.

Jimmy G must be livid
If he doesn't get to play and be set up for success when he does play he wont see close to that kind of pay day.

Jimmy g is the luckiest man on the planet and he knows it. If not for brady's nonsense suspension... his value would be almost nothing on the open market. Now because of a 2 game tryout.. he is set to make 18-20mil a year after this season. I doubt he is livid about anything. I am not saying he doesnt deserve it or that he isnt a really nice player. I am saying no one else in the league would know it either if not for the two games. And he would have had no leverage with the pats.. the only team that would have known he could play.

Let's hope he doesn't have to prove his worth during this coming regular season !!

Jimmy G must be livid
If he doesn't get to play and be set up for success when he does play he wont see close to that kind of pay day.

All players with fewer than 3 starts in the NFL should be absolutely livid that Carr is getting $25M a year.

He does seem to be a promising QB and they've wallowed for a long time. Can't blame them for making the deal, but that's quite a haul for the QB. Might hurt them in other places unless the Cap is accelerating towards infinity.

He's a fine young quarterback. He's worth the money to Oakland. They need a top quarterback to have a chance.

After all, not all teams having a quarterback playing for half of his value.

Top NFL contracts have finally caught up with MLB..

$25 mill a year and has never even won a playoff game... wow... i mean, i get that they HAD to sign him or they would have fallen back into the basement of the league, but man it makes me appreciate Brady's contracts that much more

Good for Derek Carr. Now I will root for him to throw 20 interceptions this year and be a total flop.

Doesn't this actually help bolster the Pats position on JG's trade value? If a team like CLE balked at say 18M a year in risk as too high, this shows the market might think otherwise. NE might actually be legit in asking for what they are asking for one young semi-proven possibly bonafide 1yr contracted future tag controlled NFL QB.

Last edited:
Monstrous contract.

I'm not at all a cap expert, but does this present as much danger for the Raiders as I believe? It reminds me of Flacco or some other massive, constricting deal.

That being said, QB is priority in this league and the market is insane high for them. We're almost broaching MLB contracts in the sport with the hardest salary cap.

Not every team is the Patriots, where success can compensate for dollars. Not every team has a QB like Brady who takes the biggest hometown discount to talent ratio, definitely helped by the fact that is wife has got an incredible fortune to boot.

How do you, as an NFL team today, work against a high market? If teams are willing to shell out the bank for players, then you have to compete with those bids or you're out of the running.

The Raiders have Mack and he's literally their entire defense. If they bust out a contract for him, what do you think it'd be and then, with those two players demanding so much space, do you effectively make your team a house of cards that HOPEFULLY gets major talent on budget in drafts?

tl;dr - how tf do you build a good team without breaking the bank in such a tight cap and high market?

Draft very very well
Trade for good players on low to medium contracts its not easy but it's possible.

I've always thought Carr and Jimmy were very similar and good comps for each other.

Low Tier True Franchise QB

They can't turn chicken **** into chicken salad but if you build an actual balanced football you can win a championship.

Side Note.

People are sleeping on Mariota. That guy had a great year and in some respects better than Carr. Tenn is a year or two away from being legit.

I am not going to research it at this hour, but I am curious to see if when looking at this as a percentage of the team's cap (rather than max dollar full contract), how this compares to other QB contracts in the salary cap era.

We already know that over the next few years league revenues from television network contracts will increase dramatically, which in turn will result in increases to the cap. I have a hunch that in a couple years this contract will not appear to be relatively large at all.

The other aspect to consider is this: what was Oakland's alternative? Not pay him and let him walk? After 15 years of ineptitude? They have an incredible sweetheart deal in Vegas, so the Raiders can certainly afford it financially. From a cap perspective, that number will most likely become much more palatable over the course of the contract.

I wonder if this affects the market for drafted QBs at all. If good A is a replacement good B, when the market price for good A goes up, the demand for B goes up.

Also, it could encourage teams to potentially take different strategies of drafting and then trading QB talent. Talented #2 QBs also increase in value, so maybe you consider more heavily stashing 3 very talented QBs on the roster with the prospect of maybe getting a few first rounders out of trading two of them before you cycle in new, fresh talent to fill your depth chart. Maybe you also develop a strategy for not just stashing this talent but actually cycling it through your starting lineup.

There's also the question of whether highly drafted QBs with longer rookie contracts and bigger names and expectations are going to be fairly valued compared to QBs drafted later in the draft, with perhaps poorer measurables and smaller names but proportionally equal talent. Maybe the latter is better if you can get a cheap extension before they hit it big. Then, even leverage that as an increase in their trade value.

I realize all contract values are going up for every position, but this and the upcoming deals for other big-name QBs indicates to me that maybe QB contracts may be growing faster than other positions' contracts.

I'd like to see the details on the back end of the contract. The cap may go down in the out years because the economics of the NFL are uncertain.

It's very possible that the TV money is going to decrease dramatically in the future as networks feel the increased pressure of people dropping cable. ESPN money will be gone for sure after their disastrous agreement for MNF. Advertisers will pay less for a diffuse internet market.

The NFL continues to shoot itself in the foot because the Commissioner is a jerk who screws up the proven heinous acts of some players, manufactures scandals that hurt the brand, and continues to insult fans by lying and screwing franchises like San Diego and New England. The concussion issue keeps raising its ugly head and is driving people away.

The Patriots are so disciplined with their contracts - four years at the most, at the lower margin of the market for each position, and ruthless about letting guys go if they can get better value. That's sustainable.

With the cap increasing every season, this is a good move for the Raiders. They struggled for a very long time to find a franchise caliber QB and couldn't let Carr get away. If he's healthy again this season, they should be contenders again just for what they can do on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately for them, their defense is still very suspect and the Patriots are absolutely stacked in all three phases.

Back a few years ago if we take the Joe Flacco situation, he was in line for a new contract but he only broke the bank after delivering an excellent post season.

Now teams are throwing top dollar at good but unproven QB's (in terms of playoffs) like Carr, Cousins, probably Mariota next, just at the risk of losing them. So the new baseline is not "Get us in the playoffs and here's your money". Basically if a QB is a 8+ win QB he is gonna get paid in the top of the market.

Oakland was a team on the verge of challenging the Patriots.... So this is actually a good thing to make them less competitive

Similar to how Seattle was a powerhouse for a few years when they had so many outstanding players on rookie deals, most notably Russel Wilson.. the Raiders had Carr at $1 mill per and were able to get quality guys all over their roster

But now with Carr's deal and eventually deals for Mack and Cooper, they will lose a significant amount of their cap and there for lose that window where they had an advantage over other teams cap wise

Back a few years ago if we take the Joe Flacco situation, he was in line for a new contract but he only broke the bank after delivering an excellent post season.

Now teams are throwing top dollar at good but unproven QB's (in terms of playoffs) like Carr, Cousins, probably Mariota next, just at the risk of losing them. So the new baseline is not "Get us in the playoffs and here's your money". Basically if a QB is a 8+ win QB he is gonna get paid in the top of the market.

It is only patriots fans that judge the value of a quarterback's salary to be based on playoff performance. And of course, the patriots don't listen. Brady doesn't get paid the $30M a year that he would get based on his playoff experience. Rather Brady receives half of the going rate for 2nd level franchise quarterbacks.

It is easy for us to say that $25M is too much for a franchise quarterback when we have a quarterback playing for half that amount. We'll see if the fans believe that the next franchise patriot quarterback is worth the market price for quarterbacks.

It is only patriots fans that judge the value of a quarterback's salary to be based on playoff performance. And of course, the patriots don't listen. Brady doesn't get paid the $30M a year that he would get based on his playoff experience. Rather Brady receives half of the going rate for 2nd level franchise quarterbacks.

It is easy for us to say that $25M is too much for a franchise quarterback when we have a quarterback playing for half that amount. We'll see if the fans believe that the next franchise patriot quarterback is worth the market price for quarterbacks.

Our next franchise QB is JG so lets start from there. .. its too obvious at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back