PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Derek Carr Headed to the Saints

What a smart move by Carr going to that division.

It's built for him.

Carr becomes the best QB in that division. Right.

He rebuilds his career while still being a JAG.

How can the Saints even afford Carr? Lol. OTC still says they are $18M over the limit. They will need to cut Michael Thomas for sure.

How can the Saints even afford Carr? Lol. OTC still says they are $18M over the limit. They will need to cut Michael Thomas for sure.

he was a gone as soon as he agreed to rework his deal to hep them clear cap space

and man that is a boatload of new cash for derek carr... he should send josh mcdaniels a thank you card for releasing him

Given Rapoport’s wording about being structured specifically for cap purposes, I wonder if it’s something absurd like $5M cash in year 1 (cap hit under $2M) and then a giant guaranteed bonus due next year. Carr can afford to take less cash this season as long as it evens out in the end.

Given Rapoport’s wording about being structured specifically for cap purposes, I wonder if it’s something absurd like $5M cash in year 1 (cap hit under $2M) and then a giant guaranteed bonus due next year. Carr can afford to take less cash this season as long as it evens out in the end.
Yeah, I could see that. Hope he looks good this year or else that mega bonus is going to be painful to eat if he's just mediocre.

Does this mean Captain Crablegs Jameis Winston will be released? Or does he slide into the qb2 spot? the ⚜ save 4.4m in cap space if he's cut before the third day of the new league year... If he's on the roster 5.8m of his 12m base salary is guaranteed... Thats a lot to pay a backup...

Jameis Winston to the Jete?....sounds far fetched but...would this not be a typical Jetsian move?

Jameis Winston to the Jete?....sounds far fetched but...would this not be a typical Jetsian move?

Yep. You're on to something there. Outside of the Jete's usual preference is for wasting huge assets to acquire a QB of their own to subsequently break in interesting and entertaining ways rather than than getting one that's already broken, nothing could be more Jete than not getting a functional QB after assembling a great D.
The Jete, providing not just your average suck but 55 years of genuine JETE STANK!

Last edited:
Derek Carr has never won a playoff game and now he never will.

he was a gone as soon as he agreed to rework his deal to hep them clear cap space

and man that is a boatload of new cash for derek carr... he should send josh mcdaniels a thank you card for releasing him
One way to not get ahead in the league is to pay top dollars for meh talent.

NO fans, welcome to two years of "good, but not good enough" QB play.

One way to not get ahead in the league is to pay top dollars for meh talent.

NO fans, welcome to two years of "good, but not good enough" QB play.
Winston has shown promise... Dennis Allen should be trying to develop that talent... Instead he and Mickey Loomis are day dreaming about landing Drew Brees, version Deux ...

It sounds like a possibility, but I think the Jets feel like they need to make a bigger splash.

For me, the Carr news raises the stakes for Jimmy G. and Lamar Jackson as the only two decent QBs still available (if the Ravens don't decide to keep Jackson). The Raiders need a QB. The Jets do too. TB and Carolina need a QB too. Who else? Ravens (if they do trade Jackson), Colts, Commanders?

It still feels like Jimmy G. is going to Las Vegas and most of the other teams will probably go to the draft. I think the Jets will need a veteran QB as they can't screw up another high draft pick on a QB. I don't think Green Bay will move Rodgers, so I still think the Jets will make a move for Lamar Jackson.

I love that report we get hours after the "$150M contract" report comes out: it's really a 2 year for $70M deal and maybe 3 for $100M if he plays up to that level.

1. Signing bonus: $28.5 million.
2. 2023 base salary: $1.5 million, fully guaranteed.
3. 2024 base salary: $30 million, fully guaranteed.
4. 2025 compensation: $40 million, guaranteed for injury at signing. Of that amount, $10 million becomes fully guaranteed in 2024, and the remainder becomes fully guaranteed in 2025. (The payments are in the form of a 90-man offseason roster bonus in the amount of $10 million, and a $30 million base salary.)
5. 2026 base salary: $50 million, non-guaranteed.
So while it’s technically a four-year, $150 million deal, it’s at best a three-year, $100 million deal. The fourth year is a device aimed simply at driving the average from $33.3 million per year to $37.5 million — since he reportedly was looking for at least $35 million per year.
The contract could be as short as two years and $70 million, with the final $10 million being subject to offset in 2025.
At a minimum, Carr will make $60 million for one year. The only way to avoid owing $70 million over two would be to cut him after one season.

So, they are committed to paying him $30M/year for the first two years and a $10M bonus, but if he gets cut after two years the $10M is subject to offset i.e. NO doesn't pay it if he makes more than $10M elsewhere. So, he gets to say he made $35M/year but NO gets to claw back some money if he keeps playing.

Bottom line is NO is paying middle-of-the-pack vet QB money for a middle-of-the-pack talent. Here's some comparables:

1678199928796.png

One thing to always keep in mind about the Jets. They're not a football team they're a media publicity team. They'll almost always go for the move that has the biggest splash and get their names on the back of the NY Post over the Giants and any other NY sports team.

I expect them to put the full court press on Rodgers for that reason.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the music to stop and the Jets to be left standing along in their little game of musical chairs. I don't know why they thought they could keep Carr in their back pocket while waiting to see what Rodgers does. Carr would have been an idiot to not take advantage of his early start in free agency.

I didn't really check into it but I figured that Geno deal wasn't as good as it looked for him. Two years averaging $20-25 mill a pop seems more reasonable for him. He played well but faded a bit down the stretch.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back