PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Denver Trades for Jets’ Wilson

Agreed. I believe Wilson is talented . His biggest problem is his maturity and leadership abilities. Maybe Payton can get him on the right path.

I think it’s possible for Payton to construct an offense and coach up Wilson to play better, but I don’t think there is anything he can do to make Zach Wilson a guy who can lead an NFL team.

Or in Ian’s post today about the pressure on the Vikings needing to trade up: they have Sam Darnold penciled in as the QB, the third pick in the 2018 draft by the Jets.

Hey, that’s just like us this draft!

The lessons are twofold: fix the OL before getting the hyped for franchise QB. And the hype is often wrong.

There was a consensus that both Darnold and Wilson (#2) were home run picks.

Anyone who thought Zach Wilson was going to be a good NFL quarterback doesn’t understand the most important quality for an NFL QB to possess, leadership ability. Narcissists are incapable of leading, because everything is about them.

I think it’s possible for Payton to construct an offense and coach up Wilson to play better, but I don’t think there is anything he can do to make Zach Wilson a guy who can lead an NFL team.
I believe your correct. He got the Wilson last season to play pretty well.. 24-8.. I believe with this Wilson he could have similar results

Disagree! Every draft pick is a risk. All of them from 1-250. BUT the necessity of having a quality QB to compete for championships you HAVE to take that risk and hope the guy you pick develops into the guy you hope he is

The top 3 guys ALL have the talent to be a top 5 QB. So you can't pass on him even if you know for a FACT that you have at least a 50-50 chance you are going to be disappointed. The reward for getting it right is just too high to pass it up.

I agree, you keep taking shots till you get a keeper.

Having a talented QB on a contract you control for five years or perhaps more via the franchise tag is a huge advantage.

Having a great LT doesn't matter much if the guy behind him is not very good.

I believe your correct. He got the Wilson last season to play pretty well.. 24-8.. I believe with this Wilson he could have similar results

I believe he could get Wilson to play better, but really good teams need a leader at QB, and he will never be that.

Let's hope our #3 overall don't turn into MacWilson those who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones. Some Great returns on those former First Rounders sheesh. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe he could get Wilson to play better, but really good teams need a leader at QB, and he will never be that.
Is why I'm leaning more and more on a guy like penix, the guys a leader, commands the LOS, holds himself and teammates accountable. Wilson is unfortunate becuase he's just immutature.. if he can grow up and adopt some leadership qualities he may have a long NFL career somewhere.

Let's hope our #3 overall don't turn into MacWilson those who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones. Some Great returns on those former First Rounders sheesh. :rolleyes:
Brother, this is likely the biggest draft in the organizations tenure. If a team wants to give us an offer we can't refuse then that's the only way we move off #3..

Brother, this is likely the biggest draft in the organizations tenure. If a team wants to give us an offer we can't refuse then that's the only way we move off #3..
If they make such an offer, we should then ask why they are willing to give so damn much up.

The answer is obvious, they feel it's worth it.

So, shouldn't we also think it's very very important to use that pick?

If they make such an offer, we should then ask why they are willing to give so damn much up.

The answer is obvious, they feel it's worth it.

So, shouldn't we also think it's very very important to use that pick?
We don't have a # 1 at WR, no left tackle, if a team wants to offer Jefferson another 1st this year and next year.. I think Mayo would be happy with penix Jr throwing to Jefferson and being protected by the Left tackle of the future...

We don't have a # 1 at WR, no left tackle, if a team wants to offer Jefferson another 1st this year and next year.. I think Mayo would be happy with penix Jr throwing to Jefferson and being protected by the Left tackle of the future...
... yet the other party could do the same but decided, nah, let's go for #3.

... yet the other party could do the same but decided, nah, let's go for #3.
I'd like to think just about every team has what we don't on a roster.. a Left tackle and a #1.. we are in a excellent situation.. if we get an offer we can't refuse you do it.. if not then you don't.. very easy to understand...

Many years ago, I went a a High School named after President Woodrow Wilson.

They recently dropped his name.

I didn't attend the place, but there was, in the daze of my yute, a junior high school in Dorchestah named after President Wilson... Looks like it closed in 2010.

Does this mean that the Jets will be shopping for a QB in the draft? Ugh.

Still don't think they go QB at #10... A-a-ron needs a Weppun, or better protection.

Still don't think they go QB at #10... A-a-ron needs a Weppun, or better protection.
You are on the money here. He was not very happy when GB drafted Love and would throw a fit if the Jete don't add talent that helps him next year.

I didn't attend the place, but there was, in the daze of my yute, a junior high school in Dorchestah named after President Wilson... Looks like it closed in
I didn't know that you were a Dorchester native, Captain. I grew up in the Franklin Field projects and later taught for 9 years at the OW Holmes jhs which was 1 JHS north of the Wilson.

I started teaching there in 1969 so maybe our paths crossed at some point.

I didn't know that you were a Dorchester native, Captain. I grew up in the Franklin Field projects and later taught for 9 years at the OW Holmes jhs which was 1 JHS north of the Wilson.

I started teaching there in 1969 so maybe our paths crossed at some point.
Good to hear some Dorchester natives!!

Good trade for Denver, for a late round pick swap. Wilson's problems are mental/psychological. This gets him back home/out west where he'll be more comfortable and close to family. He was probably a Broncos fan growing up. Plus will work for an offensive coach who may be able to turn him around. I bet he beats out Stidham for the job.
Including his Moms best friend.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back