PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cowboys top draft pick Dez Bryant already causing stir

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would make things interesting. Maybe the coaches should ask Romo to ask Bryant to carry his shoulder pads?

Anyways, starting week #1 this guy is going to start opposite of Austin and will be their #1 option sometime during the season. I don't think Austin is a #1 yet.

A lot of Pats fans are going to cringe if this guy wins rookie of the year and looks like a superstar in the making.

Last edited:
Not every team is like that. Watch what will happen if Dez Bryant comes out and has a slam dunk of the first few games right out of the gates. The memories of him not carrying a disappointing Roy Williams' pads will be quickly forgotten and the team will rally itself around him.

Yes that is true.. not every team is like that.. and if they do "rally around" Dez.. it would be the perfect embodiment of why they haven't won anything in more than a decade.

Yes that is true.. not every team is like that.. and if they do "rally around" Dez.. it would be the perfect embodiment of why they haven't won anything in more than a decade.
Hey, at least the Cowboys probably won't force Bryant to defend kick returns.

:bricks:

Last edited:
One could easily argue that hazing does just the opposite, because the person doing the hazing is essentially telling the guy that you are not part of "us" yet.

Sorry, you don't even get it obviously because you've never been part of something like it. It is a teambuilding tradition and nothing more.

Sorry, you don't even get it obviously because you've never been part of something like it. It is a teambuilding tradition and nothing more.

Really? Never been part of a team? Maybe you should learn not to jump to conclusions? Given that I played sports from the time I was 5, all the way through high school. Then joined the Army (no teamwork needed there, or hazing :cool:) and have coached my two boys for the past 8 years in football and baseball.

But nope I've never been part of a team. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I think Jerry Jones has more to do with that than a rookie standing up for himself. The Cowboys were a mess before Parcells got there, and that was all do to Jones ego, and his ego ran Parcells out of town. That same ego brought in Wade Phillips a coach that will do whatever he says and Williams for 3 picks including a 1st rounder. Terrible decisions.

He is also causing a stir in a good way.

Dez Bryant

Dez Bryant's practice performances over the weekend were reportedly "electrifying," and he left "a wake of gaping jaws" for those in attendance.

The hype Bryant has generated is eye-opening, reminiscent of the raving reviews drawn by Chris Johnson in OTAs and training camp two years ago. Bryant reportedly made "one-handed catches, plural" along the sideline, and was praised resoundingly by the coaching staff and players. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, it's only a matter of time before Bryant starts.

Why would we want one of these studs on our team? He's sitting there at 24 and we hand him over to of all people Jerry Jones and it's interesting how the Cowboys (because of the Dez Bryant pick and only that) are now the team considered to be the favorite to with the NFC and go to the show. Bryant and Moss with Brady at the controls and Welker in the slot, damn what could have been. Something tells me, when we look back and compare the Devon McCourty pick to Dez Bryant they'll be alot of questions to answer, watching ESPN highlights and NBC Sunday night highlights of Dallas games this Fall is going to make me sick......Crap !

Last edited:
Why would we want one of these studs on our team? He's sitting there at 24 and we hand him over to of all people Jerry Jones and it's interesting how the Cowboys (because of the Dez Bryant pick and only that) are now the team considered to be the favorite to with the NFC and go to the show. Bryant and Moss with Brady at the controls and Welker in the slot, damn what could have been. Something tells me, when we look back and compare the Devon McCourty pick to Dez Bryant they'll be alot of questions to answer, watching ESPN highlights and NBC Sunday night highlights of Dallas games this Fall is going to make me sick......Crap !
This will either go down as the Pats escaping a another bust at WR or one of the biggest draft blunders in Pats history. I'm rooting for McCourty for obvious reasons but BB has had better success drafting WR (Branch, Givens) than he has CB (Samuel). However, Butler looks to tie things up.

Last edited:
I don't care how good Dez Bryant is or could be. To me this illustrates that he thinks he's arrived and is to the equal of the veterans in the team. No matter how average or talented the veteran, rookies have to show and earn their respect. It's hardly a difficult concept.. to carry one's pads as a "hazing". We've all been through some sorts of initiation and in sports for some reason or another they bond players tightly.

It's not much of a problem now but after reading that I fully expect Dez Bryant to be a big problem at some point in his career. He clearly rates himself highly after the grand total of zero catches and zero touchdowns.

Last edited:
Really? Never been part of a team? Maybe you should learn not to jump to conclusions? Given that I played sports from the time I was 5, all the way through high school. Then joined the Army (no teamwork needed there, or hazing :cool:) and have coached my two boys for the past 8 years in football and baseball.

But nope I've never been part of a team. :rolleyes:

I stand corrected. But you still think it doesn't build teamwork or just as easily does the opposite, hence my assumption. .

Dez definitely would not fit in here if that's his attitude. Team matters over individual in New England.
Dez can't even get over himself enough to carry a veteran's pads.
As if that's some HUGE hardship.
Whatever, glad he's not here.

So you're saying that Wilfork shouldnt be mentoring Brace, Welker shouldnt mentor Edelman, Crumpler shouldnt mentor Gronk, etc, etc, because they're in competition for a spot?
Yes, WHILE PRACTICE IS GOING ON, they should be competing.
But what about after the last whistle, is its still supposed to be, "FU, IMMA DO ME!!"?
I think this stuff is just supposed to show that you're able to put aside your ego in the name of helping out a teamate, no matter if its mundane or if he needs the help or not.

edit- I do totally agree on Williams lack of mental talent and he should be nervous

Anyway you shake it during training camp its a Bryant vs Williams mentality for those two players. And given Williams' track record of "not getting it", it should not come as a shock that he made a big deal about the rookie not carrying his pads. If I were Williams I would be worrying about having pads to carry at all! :cool:

And I highly doubt carrying someone's pads or not changes the us vs them mentality. Especially in the mind of the person that refused. One could easily argue that hazing does just the opposite, because the person doing the hazing is essentially telling the guy that you are not part of "us" yet.

And to go even further I could easily argue that Roy Williams will be lucky to be a part of "us" if he doesn't step it up. The only thing keeping him on that team is Jones' ego, because most people thought it was a dumbass trade when it happened, and Williams has done nothing to prove them wrong.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree here. Williams probably did it in a snide and *******-ish manner being that Bryant is supposed to be the guy who comes in and replaces Williams. I wouldn't have done it either (and I've carried pads and other stuff for my high school team as one of the only freshmen who were lucky enough to make Varsity right out of the gate, so I know about hazing). It's not that I don't think he shouldn't carry ANYBODY'S pads, just that I can't fault him for not carrying Roy Williams'.

First, you don't know if Roy Williams was talking crap. But even if he was I am sure most vetrans give rookies crap from time to tine.

Second, I am sorry, but the unwritten rule is that rookies carry the veteran's pads. Not just the star veterans. You, as a rookie, start to determine who is worthy of the respect of carrying their pads or and you start to have the entire team turn against you.

I would have approached it completely differently than you. If Williams was riding me, I would have taken his pad and carried them with a smile on my face. That way I look like a team player who can take some veteran hazing in stride and he looks like a petty guy showing that he is scare blankless for me taking his job. The story would have been that Bryant has great restraint and Roy Williams is an arse. All Bryant did was get the entire national sports radio community today to talk about his diva attitude.

Every team I've played on would have crushed you for that.

Why? I always carried the shoulder pads/blocking pads/blocking dummies to the locker room/sheds because nobody ever told me to do it in a douchebag manner, like Williams most likely did with Bryant. Hazing is one thing. Being a douche to a rookie because you're threatened by him is another.

So you don't think this will be quickly forgotten if Bryant comes out of the gates with a couple of hundred yard receiving games and a handful of TD's? This will only be a problem if he comes out of the gates and sucks hind tit.

First, you don't know if Roy Williams was talking crap. But even if he was I am sure most vetrans give rookies crap from time to tine.

I can be pretty sure he was. Bryant is coming in to take his job because Williams hasn't gotten it done. On top of that, Williams has been a complete douche more than a few times in the past. Giving rookies crap in a good-natured hazing is one thing. Being a douche to the young guy coming in to compete for your spot because you can do to the unwritten rule is another thing. I would have done the same thing and taken my licks in practice from the defensive backs for it. Sadly, though, we'll probably never know for sure whether or not Williams was being a douche because Bryant most likely won't throw him under the bus for it to the media.
Second, I am sorry, but the unwritten rule is that rookies carry the veteran's pads. Not just the star veterans. You, as a rookie, start to determine who is worthy of the respect of carrying their pads or and you start to have the entire team turn against you.

I'm fully aware that the team is going to turn against him. But, to me, shooting down a guy who (most likely) looked down his nose at me because I was trying to take his job would be worth it. Bryant probably figured he was going to get hazed either way. However, like I said, this will be quickly forgotten about if Bryant comes out of the gates lighting it up for his team. This is very, very possible in the Cowboys' system.

I would have approached it completely differently than you. If Williams was riding me, I would have taken his pad and carried them with a smile on my face. That way I look like a team player who can take some veteran hazing in stride and he looks like a petty guy showing that he is scare blankless for me taking his job. The story would have been that Bryant has great restraint and Roy Williams is an arse. All Bryant did was get the entire national sports radio community today to talk about his diva attitude.

This wouldn't have been made into a story though. The local beat writers might have tweeted about it (MAYBE) but that's about it.

Last edited:
Why? I always carried the shoulder pads/blocking pads/blocking dummies to the locker room/sheds because nobody ever told me to do it in a douchebag manner, like Williams most likely did with Bryant. Hazing is one thing. Being a douche to a rookie because you're threatened by him is another.

1.) You have no idea what sort of manner was used.

2.) "Rookies" don't get to choose who's pads they carry. "Rookies" who think they do end up getting crushed in practices and usually don't last long on the team.

So you don't think this will be quickly forgotten if Bryant comes out of the gates with a couple of hundred yard receiving games and a handful of TD's? This will only be a problem if he comes out of the gates and sucks hind tit.

Oh it will be long forgotten by then except for that small thing you call team chemistry.

How do you bond with a teammate who is a prima donna right out of the gate?

I can be pretty sure he was. Bryant is coming in to take his job because Williams hasn't gotten it done. On top of that, Williams has been a complete douche more than a few times in the past. Giving rookies crap in a good-natured hazing is one thing. Being a douche to the young guy coming in to compete for your spot because you can do to the unwritten rule is another thing. I would have done the same thing and taken my licks in practice from the defensive backs for it. Sadly, though, we'll probably never know for sure whether or not Williams was being a douche because Bryant most likely won't throw him under the bus for it to the media.

You are just speculating. There is no evidence of this.

I'm fully aware that the team is going to turn against him. But, to me, shooting down a guy who (most likely) looked down his nose at me because I was trying to take his job would be worth it. Bryant probably figured he was going to get hazed either way. However, like I said, this will be quickly forgotten about if Bryant comes out of the gates lighting it up for his team. This is very, very possible in the Cowboys' system.

I'd rather give Williams a noose and hang himself rather than put a bullseye on my back. I'd want to show up Williams with play on the field than stand up to him with the pads. Now if Bryant struggles out the gate, incidents like this just give him unneeded pressure.

This wouldn't have been made into a story though. The local beat writers might have tweeted about it (MAYBE) but that's about it.

Who cares if the national press picked up the story. Why does Bryant want this negative attention. If I am Bryant, I only care about how my teammates take it. If they think I am a stand up guy and willing to do things I think is believe me to be part of the team, who cares if the media picks it up.

1.) You have no idea what sort of manner was used.

And you don't have any idea if it wasn't. The determinant of this would have been whether or not Bryant didn't do the same thing for Romo or Austin or Ware. If he didn't or doesn't, Williams most likely wasn't being a douche about it. If he was, we'll see Bryant carrying the pads and/or getting his eyebrows shaved and/or anything else that comes with the territory. However, given Williams' history and the fact that they're both competing for the same job, I'd be more willing to bet on the fact that Williams was being a douche than I would be to bet that he wasn't.

2.) "Rookies" don't get to choose who's pads they carry. "Rookies" who think they do end up getting crushed in practices and usually don't last long on the team.

Sure they do. It just comes with consequences in other forms throughout training camp. As I said before, I'd rather take my licks in practice than giving a douche teammate the satisfaction of knowing that I did his "b!tch work" for him. And production throughout one's career decides whether or not one stays on the team long-term. Not how he handled a rookie hazing during his first training camp. If handling oneself poorly during TC was the deciding factor in a guy's longevity with a particular team, players who get into fist fights with each other in the dog days of TC would be cut or let go.

Oh it will be long forgotten by then except for that small thing you call team chemistry.

How do you bond with a teammate who is a prima donna right out of the gate?

How do you bond with a teammate that you throw fists with in TC? IMO, that is a much worse thing to happen between two teammates than one guy saying "no" to a simple hazing.

You are just speculating. There is no evidence of this.

So you were there? Please let me know how it went. Otherwise, we're all speculating at this point. You have no idea if Williams wasn't a douche to Bryant just like I don't know if Williams was. All we can do is take past instances of a guy's behavior (Williams has been a douche toward the team in the past) and the situation between the two (Bryant is coming in because Williams couldn't get the job done) to weigh out our opinions.

I'd rather give Williams a noose and hang himself rather than put a bullseye on my back. I'd want to show up Williams with play on the field than stand up to him with the pads. Now if Bryant struggles out the gate, incidents like this just give him unneeded pressure.

I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction. I think you're making too big of a deal out of this, personally. But I wouldn't give Williams the satisfaction. I'd rather take my licks during practice (if my teammates can catch me... something that doesn't look like it's the case so far with Bryant) and then let my production speak even bigger volumes for me opening up the season. I do agree with your last sentence though.

Who cares if the national press picked up the story. Why does Bryant want this negative attention. If I am Bryant, I only care about how my teammates take it. If they think I am a stand up guy and willing to do things I think is believe me to be part of the team, who cares if the media picks it up.

You were the one who brought that up as a possibility. I was just responding to your hypothetical.

And you don't have any idea if it wasn't. The determinant of this would have been whether or not Bryant didn't do the same thing for Romo or Austin or Ware. If he didn't or doesn't, Williams most likely wasn't being a douche about it. If he was, we'll see Bryant carrying the pads and/or getting his eyebrows shaved and/or anything else that comes with the territory. However, given Williams' history and the fact that they're both competing for the same job, I'd be more willing to bet on the fact that Williams was being a douche than I would be to bet that he wasn't.

Sure they do. It just comes with consequences in other forms throughout training camp. As I said before, I'd rather take my licks in practice than giving a douche teammate the satisfaction of knowing that I did his "b!tch work" for him. And production throughout one's career decides whether or not one stays on the team long-term. Not how he handled a rookie hazing during his first training camp. If handling oneself poorly during TC was the deciding factor in a guy's longevity with a particular team, players who get into fist fights with each other in the dog days of TC would be cut or let go.

There is no determinant, you're reading into things without any facts, and you're not even making sense at this point, because production is about as irrelevant as anything can be on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes