PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess: Hayward will bring the scoring component you desire now and Jackson will be an impact defensive component Stevens will deploy immediately...allowing Boston to shed Crowder. And like Brown, the plan will be to allow Jackson to grow his offensive game over time.
The article linked below discusses my My Guess projection above with a wrinkle I wish I had thought of:

1. Gordon Hayward is Ainge's main target: There has been a lot of talk about Butler and George, but those guys aren't free agents and would cost Ainge, who doesn't like giving up ... well ... anything. He signed Al Horford last year, and he's reportedly interested in doing the same with Hayward this year. Signing Hayward and drafting Jackson would be progress without compromising a single asset. This must be music to Ainge's ears. And if Hayward is on board, it becomes easier to part with Jackson if the Bulls would be interested in the one-and-done Kansas stud in a deal for Butler. And that could be the move that puts Boston over the top, creating a core of Isaiah Thomas, Horford, Hayward and Butler. But without Hayward, Ainge might be thinking Butler is not enough and thus not worth surrendering that No. 3 pick.
To summarize the theory: Hayward is not signed yet...so....acquire the trading chip (Jackson) first and then flip to Chicago for Butler if /when Boston inks Hayward.
Could this be why Jackson is balking at a try out?

Last edited:
Jackson is refusing to work out for the Celtics unless they promise him they arent trading the 3 and are taking him at 3...f that noise.

dont need that headache

That plus the story about how Jackson went all Walter Sobchak on some girls' car . . .

That plus the story about how Jackson went all Walter Sobchak on some girls' car . . .

Yeah, after I read that story I got a little less enthused about Josh Jackson, he sounds like the backside of a horse. Following a woman out to a car, "yelling for her to get out of the car and that he would beat her ass," and then beating up on her car (with her locked in it, probably terrified, at least it wasn't with a crowbar) simply because she threw a drink at a teammate? Not everyone has to be a choir boy but I think I would steer clear of that type. The incident is described at: Affidavit: Josh Jackson threatened to 'beat' woman .

Last edited:
Josh Jackson can't shoot pass Five feet like many other current Celtics players on the roster right now. If Danny Ainge take Josh Jackson over Jayson Tatum he needs brain surgery. Celtics need a player that can consistently fill it up I think Jayson Tatum is that player right now.
After the stunt jackson has pulled its obvious he doesn't want to play here, and i agree taum is the player the clets should take if they hold onto the pick.

After the stunt jackson has pulled its obvious he doesn't want to play here, and i agree taum is the player the clets should take if they hold onto the pick.

It's looking like Tatum and that would be a solid pick but at 3 I would go Isaac just because his ceiling is higher

You know what, doesn't hurt to call the knicks about porzingis. They have the picks. If it takes the #3 and a future 1 so be it. Porzingis is better than anyone in this draft

I just want to say here, in the comforts of the forum I love, that NBA fans are clinically insane. I was on a Celtics forum occasionally during last season and the trades people propose are crazy. It makes our Jimmy G and Ryan Mallett trade threads look pedestrian. Both in volume and wackiness of players wanted and what's being offered.

They seriously hate Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder soooooooo much. I can't wait to see their heads explode when they are still on the team next season.

It's like the salary cap and luxury tax don't exist. I'm seeing threads where they think we should trott out four All Star SF with Hayward, George, Butler, and someone else like LeBron or Kawhi who isn't even available. It's insane.

And don't even get me started on their threads about their NBA binkies! Oh the horrors! The horrors!!! Some of these players are in their 8th years averaging 3 points a game and they just won't let them go. If it hasn't happened by year eight it's never gunna happen!

Holy crap that felt good.

I just want to say here, in the comforts of the forum I love, that NBA fans are clinically insane. I was on a Celtics forum occasionally during last season and the trades people propose are crazy. It makes our Jimmy G and Ryan Mallett trade threads look pedestrian. Both in volume and wackiness of players wanted and what's being offered.

They seriously hate Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder soooooooo much. I can't wait to see their heads explode when they are still on the team next season.

It's like the salary cap and luxury tax don't exist. I'm seeing threads where they think we should trott out four All Star SF with Hayward, George, Butler, and someone else like LeBron or Kawhi who isn't even available. It's insane.

And don't even get me started on their threads about their NBA binkies! Oh the horrors! The horrors!!! Some of these players are in their 8th years averaging 3 points a game and they just won't let them go. If it hasn't happened by year eight it's never gunna happen!

Let's just say I'm glad fans aren't running the professional sporting teams I follow. Gaming has seriously affected their perspective.

The Isaac fan club is expanding by the second

Seems like the general consensus is that the Celtics will go Tatum, Isaac, and Dennis Smith Jr has been mentioned by a few. I'd be happy with Tatum or DSJ. Isaac just looks too wispy to me.

Last edited:
Boston built their Big 3 and were rewarded with 1 trophy
Miami built their Super team....2 trophies in 5 years
Cleveland has earned 1 trophy in 3 years
Golden State has only completed 1 year as a Super Team winning 1 trophy
I don't count San Antonio as a Super Team ever

My point....the formula works (each ST won at least one trophy) but it is not a guarantee of world domination

-key players get injured
-Players must often make financial concessions and few players (and agents) in their earning prime are willing to leave money on the table.
-Owners must often spend in extreme excess to attract and build deep veteran rosters that satisfy their superstars
-The post-Super Team aftermath can be ugly
I see where you're coming from, and that may end up being a key factor going forward, or maybe it will trend the opposite direction and players will more and more realize they'll have enough cash either way so they might as well be a part of a great team. The big thing about the NBA is a "Big Three" really does take you a long way towards getting a title.

Another interesting point from the Simmons podcast was Gladwell pointing out that to the billionares that own NBA teams, the luxury tax is really nothing compared to their net worths, so why don't they just say "bleep it" and buy a super team? The luxury tax is the main disincentive, but he points out that a guy like Steve Ballmer who has $50B net worth has no problem affording the luxury tax, the most conservative investments in the world would generate billions a year in free cash flow.

Simmon's counter point is that these guys have huge egos and even though these egos get huge boosts from owning NBA teams (he described ring side at a GSW game as a d*ck waiving contest) they can't stand to lose what is in reality a small part of their worth.

BTW I though MLB's Florida Marlins / Wayne Huyzinga (sp?) was the ultimate "let's see what happens if I throw all my money at it" exercise. He did it, it worked, he got bored, he blew it all up and walked away, presumably to go find something else to throw his money at.

Seems like the general consensus is that the Celtics will go Tatum, Isaac, and Dennis Smith Jr has been mentioned by a few. I'd be happy with Tatum or DSJ. Isaac just looks too wispy to me.

Obviously Isaac does not have the college skill set of Durant (Durant is in a different universe, even in college) but I have to point out that the same thing (wispy, no strength) was said about Durant. Isaac is growing on me, and he seems to fit the Danny Ainge high-upside, high effort, both ends of the court profile.

I guess we will all know tomorrow night, I am excited! :)

I'd give up the #3 AND the LA protected pick for Porzingas. For those assets the Celts get a player who is better than anyone in this draft AND, is 21, AND has 2 years experience in the league. They then could add Haywood and have a team who could definately compete with Cleveland NEXT year, and STILL have another top 5 pick in the 2018 draft.

I don't hate AB and Crowder, but if they're gonna bring in a max free agent, they need to move at least one of those guys.

BTW I though MLB's Florida Marlins / Wayne Huyzinga (sp?) was the ultimate "let's see what happens if I throw all my money at it" exercise. He did it, it worked, he got bored, he blew it all up and walked away, presumably to go find something else to throw his money at.
Years ago I was at a big dinner party and happened to be seated next to Rick Rochon who at the time was Huizenga's #2 and we had a very candid conversation regarding Huizinga's sports holdings. At the time they had just unloaded the Marlins and the Panthers hockey team was on the block (or vice versa...I can't remember) but Wayne was hanging on to the Dolphins. His decisions to sell 2 of his 3 teams had everything to do with massive losses and nothing to do with boredom. The Marlins had the worst stadium deal in MLB getting no money from concessions or parking and the Panthers never developed a sufficient following to create residual income. Combined losses were something like $150 million. The Dolphins on the other hand were a "printing press" according to Rochon.
The best story of the night was how he helped one of Huizenga's son write the prenup for the son's soon to be wife to sign that included a clause requiring her to perform certain duties weekly....and she signed.

I'd give up the #3 AND the LA protected pick for Porzingas. For those assets the Celts get a player who is better than anyone in this draft AND, is 21, AND has 2 years experience in the league. They then could add Haywood and have a team who could definately compete with Cleveland NEXT year, and STILL have another top 5 pick in the 2018 draft.
Aren't Porzingas and Horford essentially the same player playing the same position? Bigs that don't play big and prefer to be on the perimeter?

Next year has what could be some transcendent talents at the top of the draft. Even with the Nets' pick, I'm not sure I want Ainge to give up the potential of two top 5 picks in that draft unless it's an Anthony Davis type of player.

Aren't Porzingas and Horford essentially the same player playing the same position? Bigs that don't play big and prefer to be on the perimeter?

He's 7'3" with offensive skills like dirk. Same position but not the same player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back