PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't Porzingas and Horford essentially the same player playing the same position? Bigs that don't play big and prefer to be on the perimeter?

No. KP can play inside or outside. Averages 7+ boards and 2 blocks a game.

Well Blake Griffin supposedly has some interest in the Celtics, he was very impressed by the Boston fans and the way they treated Pierce when he played his last game at the Garden.

Hayward of course has a relationship with the coach.

Both can be had for money without giving up assets.

KP for the Lakers pick next year and the #3 would make the Celtics instant contenders, and with Jaylen Brown KP and the Nets pick next year nice young players on their rookie contracts, Yeah you would likely have to shed Bradley and Crowder.

The Celtics are the team with the assets to make this happen.

Well Blake Griffin supposedly has some interest in the Celtics, he was very impressed by the Boston fans and the way they treated Pierce when he played his last game at the Garden.

Hayward of course has a relationship with the coach.

Both can be had for money without giving up assets.

KP for the Lakers pick next year and the #3 would make the Celtics instant contenders, and with Jaylen Brown KP and the Nets pick next year nice young players on their rookie contracts, Yeah you would likely have to shed Bradley and Crowder.

The Celtics are the team with the assets to make this happen.
i don't want anything to do with blake griffin. look at him the wrong way and he goes on the disabled list. he gets injured every year. and he's not getting any younger . give me Gordon Hayward.

I'd give up the #3 AND the LA protected pick for Porzingas. For those assets the Celts get a player who is better than anyone in this draft AND, is 21, AND has 2 years experience in the league. They then could add Haywood and have a team who could definately compete with Cleveland NEXT year, and STILL have another top 5 pick in the 2018 draft.

Jackson's comments seem to indicate that he's looking at a young player coming back in the trade, as well as the pick(s). So, if he holds out for his price, it's probably something like #3 and Brown, with maybe another pick or two (i.e. Memphis pick) from the upcoming drafts.

What's the difference now between any era in the NBA? There have always been "super teams" and there will always be "super teams". The significant difference is right now, most of the better teams are concentrated in the West and thus the playoff disparity.

The difference is that the players are dictating where they play, not the GM's.. if Lebron goes to LA, who will he bring with or recruit to make that the next "super team"... there is a difference between then and now.

The Celtics cannot even get a potential draft pick to work out for them.. the NBA is fading into obscurity unless they get control of the situation..

Years ago I was at a big dinner party and happened to be seated next to Rick Rochon who at the time was Huizenga's #2 and we had a very candid conversation regarding Huizinga's sports holdings. At the time they had just unloaded the Marlins and the Panthers hockey team was on the block (or vice versa...I can't remember) but Wayne was hanging on to the Dolphins. His decisions to sell 2 of his 3 teams had everything to do with massive losses and nothing to do with boredom. The Marlins had the worst stadium deal in MLB getting no money from concessions or parking and the Panthers never developed a sufficient following to create residual income. Combined losses were something like $150 million. The Dolphins on the other hand were a "printing press" according to Rochon.
The best story of the night was how he helped one of Huizenga's son write the prenup for the son's soon to be wife to sign that included a clause requiring her to perform certain duties weekly....and she signed.
Very interesting story, thanks!

If the Celtics were able to add Butler, Hayward, Porzingis and Josh Jackson it would still not close the gap..
Um, yes it would.

That team challenges Golden State for the title and would probably be favored.

Butler, Hayward, Porzyngis, Jackson in addition to Thomas and Horford, with Bradley, Smart and Brown and Rozier filling out the bench?

That's a title team. And only one of them is over 30.

The difference is that the players are dictating where they play, not the GM's.. if Lebron goes to LA, who will he bring with or recruit to make that the next "super team"... there is a difference between then and now.

The Celtics cannot even get a potential draft pick to work out for them.. the NBA is fading into obscurity unless they get control of the situation..

The NBA Finals had their highest ratings since Jordan was on the Bulls this past season.

Obviously Isaac does not have the college skill set of Durant (Durant is in a different universe, even in college) but I have to point out that the same thing (wispy, no strength) was said about Durant. Isaac is growing on me, and he seems to fit the Danny Ainge high-upside, high effort, both ends of the court profile.

I guess we will all know tomorrow night, I am excited! :)

Me too. I'm high on Tatum but, as some have pointed out, he's most effective as an ISO so he may not be an ideal fit in BS's motion offense.

Of course, if a Porziņģis trade can be worked out, that would really be something.

Really hope we don't waste the pick on Butler. Get a young kid. He'll be better than Butler by the time the Dubs are mortal again.

No. KP can play inside or outside. Averages 7+ boards and 2 blocks a game.
Statistically, KP and Horford are almost clones:

NBA rank..........KP......Horford
Reb/game.........35.........41
Reb/48 mins....86.........89

FG %.................45........47
3 pt %................36.5.....35.5
Pts/shot.............1.21.....1.19
Blks/game..........2.........1.1

No doubt: different teams, different responsibilities, different stage of their careers. Porzingas has the upside.
The question: Would the Celtics be resolving needs having both men on the floor at the same time? How would it play defensively? Neither wants the part of center yet one would have to assume that role if a Hayward type is added.

Don't underestimate the huge financial advantage for teams possessing productive players on rookie contracts. The Celtics current and future pipeline will add quality depth that hopefully will transform into quality starters ....an advantage over every Eastern Conference team but Philly. Depth helped carry what I considered a lacking starting five into the Conference championship and Boston has just started the replenishment process. And seeing how Cleveland is essentially tapped out asset-wise to build up their roster...plus the view that their window is closing sooner rather than later......STAY the course Danny. A few stars and garbage is not good enough.

Then there is this...

Report: NBA salary cap down from projection, expected to be set at $99 million

Boston's unique position is only getting stronger if other teams have to buy FAs with less money. James Harden is about to sign a $42 million/year contract ...that's 42% of cap space. Is this the formula for success?

They won't be celtics but I really like Fox and Collins in this draft.
Sacramento could get both. That would be a huge step in their rebuild.

They won't be celtics but I really like Fox and Collins in this draft.
Sacramento could get both. That would be a huge step in their rebuild.
I like the idea of Fox on Sacramento giving him multiple times each year to continue dominating Alonzo.

The absolute worst thing you can do in the NBA right now is fool yourself into thinking you are closer to contention than you really are.

Jackson's comments seem to indicate that he's looking at a young player coming back in the trade, as well as the pick(s). So, if he holds out for his price, it's probably something like #3 and Brown, with maybe another pick or two (i.e. Memphis pick) from the upcoming drafts.
I'm not convinced he's actually on the market. But here's an update from the man himself:

The absolute worst thing you can do in the NBA right now is fool yourself into thinking you are closer to contention than you really are.
I understand the thought process but are there any examples of teams that tanked to load up later that ever became championship contenders?

I'd give up the #3 AND the LA protected pick for Porzingas. For those assets the Celts get a player who is better than anyone in this draft AND, is 21, AND has 2 years experience in the league. They then could add Haywood and have a team who could definately compete with Cleveland NEXT year, and STILL have another top 5 pick in the 2018 draft.

Is there any concern with KP as an injury risk? Don't really tall 7+ footers often end up with crippling foot injuries? Are there examples of guys other than Dirk who play into their 30's as a 7 footer who does more than stand at the low post?

I understand the thought process but are there any examples of teams that tanked to load up later that ever became championship contenders?
OKC was a great example, should have hung onto Harden. They were right there in it and could have won one.

It's not even just tanking, giving up great picks and young players for Butler is short sighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News