PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bucs will keep OJ Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're paying Brate 7M and Gronk 10M. I don't believe this will be tenable keeping all 3 for long.

I'm not saying that there's a 0% chance of anything changing moving forward, but:

It's currently a one year situation, and you've got the Brate number off. He restructured back in March.

2020:

Gronk - $9,250,000
Brate - $4,250,000
Howard - $3,530,182
Total - $17,030,182

2021:

Gronk - $0
Brate - $6,500,000
Howard - $6,013,000
Total - $12,513,000

Cameron Brate Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Pretty sure they'll just keep Gronk till he retires, which is likely with Brady's retirement. So Brate or Howard aren't staying long.

If they're smart they'll try to trade Brate or Howard for a starting CB. Secondary is their weakness . Arians has zero use for tight ends going on his 25 year history

???

Arians was the OC during the Heath Miller era in Pittsburgh. That includes Miller's best season, where he had 76 catches on 98 targets. In that time, the fewest catches for Miller was 42, which came in a season where he only played 14 games.

He also got a 45 catch season (on 66 targets) out of Dwayne Allen, during his substitute coach season in Indianapolis.

The Bucs apparently try avoiding shuffling off payments, which is what would limit them this season. But, they've got players that can be restructured/extended/re-done (David, Gronk, Barrett, Smith, Marpet, Jensen), if they need to gain space for signings. So they shouldn't be in a position where they have to make a trade if they don't wish to do so.

???

Arians was the OC during the Heath Miller era in Pittsburgh. That includes Miller's best season, where he had 76 catches on 98 targets. In that time, the fewest catches for Miller was 42, which came in a season where he only played 14 games.

He also got a 45 catch season (on 66 targets) out of Dwayne Allen, during his substitute coach season in Indianapolis.

Fantastic. The Heath Miller era didn't have 2 all pro WRs. How do you project he will divy up the 75 receptions among Gronk, Brate, and Howard ?

The Bucs apparently try avoiding shuffling off payments, which is what would limit them this season. But, they've got players that can be restructured/extended/re-done (David, Gronk, Barrett, Smith, Marpet, Jensen), if they need to gain space for signings. So they shouldn't be in a position where they have to make a trade if they don't wish to do so.

Yes agree w the last statement.

Fantastic. The Heath Miller era didn't have 2 all pro WRs. How do you project he will divy up the 75 receptions among Gronk, Brate, and Howard ?

I didn't talk about divvying or anything like that. I just noted obvious problems with your claim of "Arians has zero use for tight ends going on his 25 year history". But he was able to split receptions with Allen and Fleener in 2012, though Fleener got injured and was not the same after that.

As for pure numbers, that'll be where Brady (plus play calling choice) comes in. That offensive receiving lineup

Vaughn (if he's the 3rd down back the Bucs think he can be)

Godwin
Evans
Johnson (if he pans out as he should)

Gronk
Brate
Howard

Should let Brady have a choice among a lot of targets. And we've all seen Brady find a way to keep large numbers of receivers from grumbling over touches. That doesn't guarantee success with that this season, but we have seen it before. And I doubt Gronk's going to be complaining about touches, particularly in the non-essential moments.

Personally, I think the Bucs should be looking to find another legitimate WR (and a DL as well), but I didn't cover the league enough last year to know enough about the backups, and their ability to grow into starters this year.

Chicago has a BEAR for TB to hold :D

I believe it may only be 9 now..

Bears now have 10 tight ends after drafting Kmet
Saw an interview with Kmet from the combine. Good kid, very humble and well spoken (only 20 yo). Really worked out well for him, from the Chicago area and a big Bear’s fan. When asked what it would be like to be drafted by the Bears, the kid just beamed. I think he’s gonna be great for them.

Brady has spoken....and he wants Howard....that’s why he is there

he is a great talent....wish BB/Pats had taken him

Saw an interview with Kmet from the combine. Good kid, very humble and well spoken (only 20 yo). Really worked out well for him, from the Chicago area and a big Bear’s fan. When asked what it would be like to be drafted by the Bears, the kid just beamed. I think he’s gonna be great for them.

So basically Brady went from one of the worst TE groupings to perhaps the deepest group in NFL history.

I think we know why Brady left :coffee:
Brady easily has the best passing offense in the league and it isn’t close

Brady easily has the best passing offense in the league and it isn’t close
Yeah, I agree TB is #1 (name-wise), but honestly KC, NO, CLE & BAL aren’t miles behind. Also, DAL, PHI & DEN have improved as well, but we’ll reserve judgement on those three until they’ve played a few games.

they like their OJ’s in florida...

The thing that perplexes me about 3 TEs for them is that I don't see them going to 2 TEs very often.

The one guy that's not talked about much is Scotty Miller, another MAC slot guy, who runs a 4.39. He's going to become a household name playing with Brady. That is, if he survives injuries. Edelman takes a beating. Miller is pretty slight.

I see them going 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB almost all the time. The 3 TEs are good if you're ahead and running the ball. But Tamp is going to be really underwhelming in the backfield. Jones is a bit of a flop, and how on earth do you pass up Zach Moss and take Keshawn Vaughn instead? Vaughn is going to be dependable, I guess, but with Moss you might have had someone stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News