PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT : Bradley Chubb signs 5 year deal with the Dolphins

Suh feelings

Talented pass rusher who has been stuck on a bad team.

He isn't a HOF like Von Miller but he is just as talented as other guys who have been paid in that range

I'm not gonna say I wouldn't have liked him but not for that draft compensation and not for that price.

-He seems to only play well when you surround him with stuff. His first and best year he had Von Miller & Shaq Barrett playing along side. This year Randy Gregory was on the other side and they have a good secondary.
-He misses a lot because of injury. 1 year he'll play the whole season and the next year he'll play 5 games.

He automatically walks in and is Miami's best edge guy but that's more with how poor Miami is. For an example Elandon Roberts is 1 sack off being tied for the lead for sacks for them and Miami doesn't have a good pass defense, bottom 5 I think.

Chubb was one of my top three FA's that I wanted the Pats to sign in the off-season. Roquan Smith was another. I probably should not mention that Jack Conklin was the third on my very short list.
That said, I don't think BB would have paid Chubb that kind of dough. But we are living in a different world where salaries are exploding across the board. Not sure what Bill's plan will be come March but we need to sign a couple of solid players and maybe get couple more via draft picks.

I think the Dolphins paid too much draft capital to acquire Chubb and now appear to have compounded their error by overpaying him on this extension. Chubb really only had one really good year and that was in 2018, his rookie year. To pay him a top 10 salary (he's currently #6 for edge rushers next year) for something he did 4 years ago doesn't seem like a good idea. On top of that, it really reads like a two year deal. Given his performance/injury history, I doubt he plays well enough to see $20 Million in 2025, unless the salary cap goes up quite a bit by then.

But I tell you what - Chubb's extension makes Matt Judon's deal look like a steal.

Maybe he plays better in Miami, but he was not an impactful player given his draft status since his rookie year. Miami should've waited until the end of the year to open up the checkbook. He didn't have a no trade clause, so Miami has the leverage.

By the way, I like this new stat people are trying to push which is this "win rate" to justify his contract.

I think the Dolphins paid too much draft capital to acquire Chubb and now appear to have compounded their error by overpaying him on this extension. Chubb really only had one really good year and that was in 2018, his rookie year. To pay him a top 10 salary (he's currently #6 for edge rushers next year) for something he did 4 years ago doesn't seem like a good idea. On top of that, it really reads like a two year deal. Given his performance/injury history, I doubt he plays well enough to see $20 Million in 2025, unless the salary cap goes up quite a bit by then.

But I tell you what - Chubb's extension makes Matt Judon's deal look like a steal.
Chubb is just 26 going into his prime good time to buy pass rushers don't grow on trees. :)

Chubb is just 26 going into his prime good time to buy pass rushers don't grow on trees. :)
It would be hard to justify trading a 1st for a player than paying him way more than Judon who is a better player. Judon is a bargain and having another career year without really any help. He has no Pro Bowl's since his rookie year and never has made an All Pro, yet gets paid $22M a year?

They are paying for the talent, but will the talent stay healthy and dominate at what they gave up with draftwise and cap room? To be continued/incomplete.

people in here still jerking off to draft picks over talented playmakers....

There are VERY few ways to get elite talent. If you can not do through the draft...this is one way to do it.
Its costly and if you miss on this it will have negative cap ramifications...BUT Dolphins had teh advantage of getting to see this guy play in the NFL this year before they pulled the trigger. They did the same thing with Tyreek Hill.

Bill seems to have something against this approach. It seems to be working quite well for the Dolphins.
I wish BB would commit to getting top tier elite talent on the Pats one way or another.

You can say Chubb underperformed the last couple of years BUT this year he has been dynamic and a QB terror.
Great move by the Dolphins...liekly to pay huge dividends.

It would be great if BB would start taking some risks with player acquisition and stop playing it safe all the time. Let's see what he can do next year with the cap space.

They are paying for the talent, but will the talent stay healthy and dominate at what they gave up with draftwise and cap room? To be continued/incomplete.

If history is any indicator of what that talent has done... here are Chubb's career numbers
GPTOTSOLOASTSACKFFFRYDSINTYDSAVG
Total49170107632661412121.0

There are VERY few ways to get elite talent. If you can not do through the draft...this is one way to do it.
Its costly and if you miss on this it will have negative cap ramifications...BUT Dolphins had teh advantage of getting to see this guy play in the NFL this year before they pulled the trigger. They did the same thing with Tyreek Hill.

Bill seems to have something against this approach. It seems to be working quite well for the Dolphins.
I wish BB would commit to getting top tier elite talent on the Pats one way or another.

You can say Chubb underperformed the last couple of years BUT this year he has been dynamic and a QB terror.
Great move by the Dolphins...liekly to pay huge dividends.

It would be great if BB would start taking some risks with player acquisition and stop playing it safe all the time. Let's see what he can do next year with the cap space.
This year? He has very similar number to Deatrich Wise (I posted the numbers a few days ago). Don’t get me wrong … Wise is playing well but a QB terror? nope.

If history is any indicator of what that talent has done... here are Chubb's career numbers
GPTOTSOLOASTSACKFFFRYDSINTYDSAVG
Total49170107632661412121.0
I agree and if history is any indicator this should be a good year for B Chubb if we're playing the every other year route.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back