PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Adrian Peterson Nearing Deal With Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
This is surprising to me...

Wonder what happens with Ingram. Could see the Saints flipping him and a pick to SEA for Sherman though. Get the corner they want (keeps Malcolm here).

Lol, earlier this morning I saw somewhere report that 'it looks unlikely Saints will sign Peterson' or words to that effect.

Perhaps some media manipulation by New Orleans as a negotiating tactic. Or perhaps it was just some writer just intermingling speculation as fact, based on Peterson leaving NO a week ago without a contract, and not expecting this to happen a few hours later.

Lol, earlier this morning I saw somewhere report that 'it looks unlikely Saints will sign Peterson' or words to that effect.

Perhaps some media manipulation by New Orleans as a negotiating tactic. Or perhaps it was just some writer just intermingling speculation as fact, based on Peterson leaving NO a week ago without a contract, and not expecting this to happen a few hours later.
yeah I thought the same thing, but we did dirt cheap, and Im truly shocked

Adrian Peterson agrees to deal with New Orleans Saints: report

Media reported that they think the fans were mostly positive. Like me, I dont think they are. This was a shocker for most fans I know, and the majority are not forum fans.

yeah I thought the same thing, but we did dirt cheap, and Im truly shocked

Adrian Peterson agrees to deal with New Orleans Saints: report

Media reported that they think the fans were mostly positive. Like me, I dont think they are. This was a shocker for most fans I know, and the majority are not forum fans.
Prior to the signing, reports were that it would cost $5 million per year to sign Peterson. For that price I felt the Patriots (and most teams) were better off not signing him.

What is essentially a one-year $3.5 million dollar deal with a team option for 2018 is far more palatable. In retrospect you wonder why the Patriots didn't sign him for that much, though we don't know if Peterson was still looking for more money when he visited Foxboro, and unwilling to settle for that type of deal at that point in time.

By contrast, here is what some other 2017 free agent running backs were paid. The Peterson contract appears to be a better deal for the team than Lacy's with Seattle or Murray's with the Vikings.

- Eddie Lacy, 27: 1-year, $4.25 mil; $3.56 mil cap#, $2.87 guaranteed
$1 mil for game day active bonuses, $1.3 mil for performance bonuses

- Latavius Murray, 27: 3-years, $15 mil; $2.96 mil cap#, $3.4 guaranteed
Another $5.2 mil guaranteed if on roster on 3rd day of 2018 league year

- Rex Burkhead, 27: 1-year, $3.15 mil; $3.15 mil cap#, $1.1 guaranteed

- Mike Gillislee, 26: 2-years, $6.4 mil

- Danny Woodhead, 32: 3-years, $8.8 mil; $1.75 cap#, $3.25 guaranteed

- Jacquizz Rodgers, 27: 2-year, $3.3 mil; $1.70 mil cap#, $600k gtd

This is surprising to me...

Wonder what happens with Ingram. Could see the Saints flipping him and a pick to SEA for Sherman though. Get the corner they want (keeps Malcolm here).

you arent going to sign a guy as a Free agent and then immedietly trade him, this isnt the NBA

Wow Danny Woodhead is 32, Glad to see him still making some cash.

you arent going to sign a guy as a Free agent and then immedietly trade him, this isnt the NBA

I meant flipping Ingram...........

Great signing for the Saints. It's almost no risk, and the potential upside is tremendous.

In retrospect you wonder why the Patriots didn't sign him for that much, though we don't know if Peterson was still looking for more money when he visited Foxboro, and unwilling to settle for that type of deal at that point in time.

My belief is that the Patriots think that the two players they signed instead will provide more value to the team than Peterson would in 2017. I certainly do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes