PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 28-3

To this day I find Super Bowl 51 to be the most amazing yet baffling sporting event I’ve ever seen.

It’s strange, based on how our brains work we as Patriots fans obsess over the “what if” plays in our big loses. I have obsessed about the Eli to Tyree throw for 13 years now and I still can’t let it go. “Ughh why did that ONE play not go our way!” But what makes no sense is we overlook how in SB51 we had to execute not ONE play but easily over a dozen, any one of which if it had gone just a bit differently would have lost us the game.

I have seen the full replay of SB51 like a dozen times. I’ve watched the highlights hundreds. I logically understand the sequence of events that transpired to allow us to win. But to this day I still can’t believe it.

To this day I find Super Bowl 51 to be the most amazing yet baffling sporting event I’ve ever seen.

It’s strange, based on how our brains work we as Patriots fans obsess over the “what if” plays in our big loses. I have obsessed about the Eli to Tyree throw for 13 years now and I still can’t let it go. “Ughh why did that ONE play not go our way!” But what makes no sense is we overlook how in SB51 we had to execute not ONE play but easily over a dozen, any one of which if it had gone just a bit differently would have lost us the game.

I have seen the full replay of SB51 like a dozen times. I’ve watched the highlights hundreds. I logically understand the sequence of events that transpired to allow us to win. But to this day I still can’t believe it.
Gotta believe.

They were on the 22 yard line with a first down and end up out of field goal range. Unbelievable. I imagine Quinn wakes up in the middle of the night screaming " nooooo...... just run the ball"

And regardless of who made the plays, this is the game that made the Brady GOAT association irrefutable.

I logically understand the sequence of events that transpired to allow us to win. But to this day I still can’t believe it.
original.gif

from the falcons perspective

and the video is 28:03 long lol

Wow. Just watched that.
This is one of those times where "the buck stops here" is actually true. The head coach let the offensive coach run the game plan, and that's what undid them. The defense was cooked because the offense couldn't stay on the field.
It is amazing how Belichick's ability to stay calm in the face of championship pressure contrasts to what we've seen from Quin, Carrol, Reid, and McVay.

I loved this superbowl. Like some have mentioned, so much had to go right to pull it off. However, as spectacular as the game was for Patriot players and fans It’s not my favorite superbowl win.

Rams 36 was incredible underdog stuff of legends. My second was Seattle because they did it against a defense that was all time top 15 worthy. Some might argue top 5.

Atlanta was just stupid, all they really had to do is use the 40 second clock and hike it with with a few seconds every down. Pats would of more than likely ran out of time. But it was nice watching the cheerleaders, fans, owners, players faces during and after the aftermath.

This was, strangely, the least stressed I've ever been watching a Super Bowl. It got out of hand so quickly, that my attention started turning to other things. I was still watching every play of course, but I was thinking about what other food I could eat, or checking my phone, or doing other things because the game was no longer interesting... until it was again. And by the time it really sunk in that, "Hey, they could pull this off..." there was very little time left so I had about 5 game minutes of stress and that was it.

When the Pats pulled within 8, I still didn't think there was enough time to get a stop and score a TD and 2 point conversion. My son texted me, "Can you believe this, they're gonna do it!". Then the Julio incredible catch and both of us were thinking, oh no, here we go again.... but the stress and disappointment wasn't there. But, as the Pats drove for the tie, the incredible passes; Hogan, Mitchell and then Edelman....a night to remember.
At least for Pat's fans, not so sure for Falcon fans.

from the falcons perspective

and the video is 28:03 long lol

Thanks for sharing this! It’s weird that I still feel the anxiety rewatching those moments. Like Julio’s catch and the dread I felt at that time. It’s fascinating to look back and take note of how Atlanta’s approach to defense had them run out of gas, and the Pats took advantage of it. It could’ve gone wrong in so many ways, and Brady wouldn’t have gotten the ultimate F U to Goodell for the Defamegate suspension that season. Perhaps the most satisfying “revenge” victory I’ve ever witnessed.

Not a big drinker during Pats games or SBs as I want to watch and absorb them in a sober state.

I also don't eat a lot of sweets either. Cakes, candy, etc. Potato chips are my addiction....and we were out.

I'm not a nervous eater really but that game I had a problem....

When it went to 21-3 and I was starting to slip into an extremely concerned state. I didn't want any booze so I had a cream-filled chocolate cupcake with raspberry frosting my daughter made. It had a plastic "Patriots" thing on it. They were cute....and very good.

At 28-3 I had another.

At 28-9 and the missed XP I had another.

28-16- Yep....Another.

I took a break for a while but had one after the White TD to make it 28-28.

5 cupcakes during the 2nd 1/2.

That has to be some kind of Man v Food record?

Not a big drinker during Pats games or SBs as I want to watch and absorb them in a sober state.

I also don't eat a lot of sweets either. Cakes, candy, etc. Potato chips are my addiction....and we were out.

When it went to 21-3 and I was starting to slip into an extremely concerned state. I didn't want any booze so I had a cream-filled chocolate cupcake with raspberry frosting my daughter made. It had a plastic "Patriots" thing on it. They were cute....and very good.

At 28-3 I had another.

28-16- Yep....Another.

You did the lord’s work, and it resulted in a Super Bowl comeback victory...I’m sure the sugar coma was worth it ;)

This was, strangely, the least stressed I've ever been watching a Super Bowl. It got out of hand so quickly, that my attention started turning to other things. I was still watching every play of course, but I was thinking about what other food I could eat, or checking my phone, or doing other things because the game was no longer interesting... until it was again. And by the time it really sunk in that, "Hey, they could pull this off..." there was very little time left so I had about 5 game minutes of stress and that was it.
Guess you aren't old enough to have watched SB20:

No one expected us to win. The score was 23-3 at the half and it seemed far worse than that at the time, we were getting our butts kicked. It ended up 46-10. My GF of the time decided I needed some stress relief. It worked. Let's just say I parted the uprights more times than than the Patriots did that day!

I still can't believe they targeted Julio as little as they did.

Belichick has always respected offensive players like that, knowing he isn't going to take them out entirely, so it's fair to say - that in rare cases like Julio - he isn't planning to take him "away". So in this game, you try until it doesn't work.

It literally worked every time they tried. Every. Time.

Maybe someone with some more knowledge of X's and O's can break it down for me. Because while he had the bracketed coverage, he proved that it's worth trying to throw to him by making stellar catches every time.

I loved this superbowl. Like some have mentioned, so much had to go right to pull it off. However, as spectacular as the game was for Patriot players and fans It’s not my favorite superbowl win.

Rams 36 was incredible underdog stuff of legends. My second was Seattle because they did it against a defense that was all time top 15 worthy. Some might argue top 5.

Atlanta was just stupid, all they really had to do is use the 40 second clock and hike it with with a few seconds every down. Pats would of more than likely ran out of time. But it was nice watching the cheerleaders, fans, owners, players faces during and after the aftermath.

Atlanta was greedy. They saw what they thought was an honest chance of putting up 40 if not 50. However, they never analyzed that "what if" side of the equation. What is we go backwards? What if we turn it over. They were feeling invincible - and were wrong.

At 28-3 I had another.

28-16- Yep....Another.

come to think about it, I usually don't eat anything during a Pats game, especially the playoffs. and my drinks are usually just water. Because of the score, I was actually eating in the 2nd half as well.

You did the lord’s work, and it resulted in a Super Bowl comeback victory...I’m sure the sugar coma was worth it ;)
I don't think I even went for a run the next day. Spent it reading/watching everything I could get my hands on...

Same here. Even when the comeback started I never thought it could happen. it just didn't seem possible up until they were going for the 2 point conversion to tie the game. And then I was never nervous because I knew they would win and it was just a matter of how they would win.

I watched it with a friend of mine (a Broncos fan), who was being a good sport and not specifically rooting against the pats.

When they lined up for a field goal at 28-9 in the 4th quarter, he said, "Why go for a field goal here?" As it passed through the uprights, I clapped my hands once and said, "2 score game baby!"

I knew at that point he looked at the time left and thought, "Oh ****."

I can proudly say that while I wasn't confident the whole time that we would win, I didn't give up on them... unlike a lot of fans *cough* Marky Mark *cough*.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back