PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opponents (Teams or Players) You Respected Most

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the question can be answered on a couple of different ways.

1) Respect as in the man/human being: Roger Staubach & Coach Landry. Both of those men where gentlemen, who lived life by a code and won a ton.

2) Respect as in the player/performance/champion: Lawrence Taylor

Antonio Brown? Too soon? OK.

Individual opponents: Steve Smith, Polamalu, Ed Reed. Hated and despised the way Manning and Polian played the game/sandbagged referees too much to respect him, but he was very, very good at what he did.

Teams. Seahawks, Jim Harbaugh 49ers.

Hon mention: Ozzie Newsome.

Just a few players, coaches and front office people I respect ....

Active Players

JJ Watt
DeAndre Hopkins
Phillip Rivers
Von Miller
Russell Wilson
Drew Brees
Deshaun Watson
AJ Green
Jacboy Brissett
Richard Sherman

Coaches
Sean McDermott
Pete Carroll
Mike Zimmer
Frank Reich
Andy Reid
Sean Payton

Others
Tom Coughlin

I'm sure Mahomes will turn out like all the other non Brady superstar QBs eventually (I've been down this road with Rodgers and Brees; at first, they were endearing), but right now there's absolutely nothing to hate.

My special mention goes to Tom Coughlin. I have always admired him. I noticed him first when he was appointed the HC of Boston College. Took down the then mighty Notre Dame with some QB called Glenn or some name like that. Notre Dame has not been the same since that game in late 80's or 90's. I was bummed when he left BC. BC may have contended for the national championship if he had stayed a few more years. And then to take down the mighty Patriots twice in SB! He appears to be tough to play for, a hard ass like BB.

Division rival and all but grudging respect for the Super Bowl Bills. Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Lofton, Bruce Smith

Sweetness!

He was amazing as a person and obviously as a player. I'm glad he got a SB win, just wish it had been either a better game or not against us. Ouch

Pulls pin...

Colin Kaepernick

...rolls grenade.

Ed Reed is up there. Dude was legendary

I always respected and admired Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. Always respected Curtis Martin, even when he was on the Jets

I always respected and admired Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. Always respected Curtis Martin, even when he was on the Jets
Not Marino. Whined at his receivers too much.

AFC East: Kevin Mawae (Hated the guy, but if he were on my team...), Wayne Chrebet, and Chad Pennington for the Jets. For the Bills...Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, and Steve Tasker. For the Fish, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison, and Patrick Surtain come to mind.

Rest of the NFL: Steve Largent, Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, Randall Cunningham, Reggie White, Art Monk, Darrell Green, Barry Sanders, Steve Young, Deion Sanders, Charles Haley, and many more...I am missing many names for sure...

Brian Urlacher
Phillip Rivers
Larry Fitzgerald
Tom Coughlin

85 Bears.

I hate Philip Rivers, can't stand him, but the Chargers were formidable both in 2006 and 2007.

That being said, they can't ever beat the Patriots.

Let me get this straight, you claim to be 20, but Rivers rubbed you the wrong way when you were 7 yo and you changed your tune when you were 8. Lmao

Then you slip Mahomy in there, nice touch "tourch" guy. I'm positive you wouldn't mind losing to the Chiefs. Jesus.

Fortunately none of the guys have listed your homey on their lists troll.

You've been reported pal.

Jim Kelly
Peyton Manning
Marty Schotenhiemer
John Riggins

Am I missing something?

I made a post here and my list included Rivers, Gore, Steve Smith Sr., and Antrel Rolle..

I got 2 'disagree' votes. I can take criticism, I'm just not sure why in this case. I'm generally curious if I am missing something?

Rivers- below average arm talent but guts out a ton of games late to put his team in position to win. Bad kickers and never a dominant defense. I have always respected his fiery attitude.

Gore- 2 devastating college injuries and is now primed to move into 3rd all time rushing leader. Quiet guy who is tough as nails. Pass blocking, recieving, can carry load. Consummate professional.

Steve Smith- Undersized but played huge. High pointed balls, could house screens. Always brought a dog fight attitude for his team. When Sunday came he was a shot of adrenaline for his team.

Now... Antrel Rolle.. I would imagine this is where the issue is.

Did he do/say something during 2011 Super Bowl?

I'm from NY area so I was able to hear his weekly interviews on the radio. He was the heart and soul of that team and his attitude is exactly what the Giants deaperatly need at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back