PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Scout Believes Free Agent All-Pro WR ends up with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been that impressed with this guy. Meh.

Yes. DeSean Jackson bigly

I'm fine with our receiving group. Add Floyd and it's even better. I'd rather another pass rusher. Just my 2 cents.
With Long, Ninkovich, and Sheard as our main DE options not named Trey Flowers, the position will surely be addressed. I'm with you. Give me defense.

Including "All-Pro" in the headline is a little click-baity IMO. It's been years since Jackson has been considered even a top 10 WR.

I'd rather go with someone who doesn't prematurely drop the football at the 1 yard line, but that's just me.
Solid point about the character concerns, no doubt. That said, Jackson still seems to be something of a home run hitter, leading the league in YPR in 2/3 past years, and having 1,000+ yard seasons in 3/4 past years.

He had a 17.9 YPR average this year, and does possess a skill set that would be valuable to any team. He's not the traditional, physical specimen that you'd want to see with bigger money deals, though, but someone will have the chance to add a decent piece to their team. I highly doubt it's on the NEP.

The importance of deep receivers is overrated because of the "highlight effect": most fans and GMs judge players by what they remember, and they remember highlights, which are memorable and always shown. The Patriots organization's immunity to the highlight effect is one of the keys to their dominance.

I wouldn't count this out because we've had crazy things happen in the past 5 years. Talib, Revis, Floyd, Bennett, etc. if the numbers make sense and if Jackson is willing to fall in line, then why not? Not likely though.

"That’s right- if the Patriots signed Jackson, they would have the three biggest deep threats in the NFL as a part of the same offense. QB Tom Brady said that he spent the 2016 offseason working on his deep ball and became one of the best in the league at that range.

If Jackson joins the Patriots, the New England offense would be a threat to score on literally every single play. That would be one heck of an offense to watch."

I like the idea of the 2017 Patriots scoring on every play.

How'd that work out for the Atlanta D when the A O scored fast?

I wouldn't count this out because we've had crazy things happen in the past 5 years. Talib, Revis, Floyd, Bennett, etc. if the numbers make sense and if Jackson is willing to fall in line, then why not? Not likely though.
I think the biggest concern would be that it's likely a waste of resources. We couldn't keep more than 4 WRs active, and that was for the 2 most important games of the season, with guys who are prone to injury playing hurt, and our biggest offensive weapon in Gronk sitting on the sideline.

I'm not saying that it can't happen, but that would mean that roles would change, and that it would limit the opportunities for a WR corp who is coming off a SB win and looking forward to the return of #87. Brady's improved deep ball accuracy may be making them giddy though, as we also heard rumors about their interest with DeAndre Hopkins earlier in the year. Of course, the development of Mitchell could have changed that thinking.

What about Jinmy G for Deandre?
Would the board make that trade?

What about Jinmy G for Deandre?
Would the board make that trade?
Supposedly, it happened when they talked to the Texans about trading for Collins. They weren't interested and I can't say that I blame them. Hopkins is a special talent.

No opinion on the hypothetical trade, though. I'm good either way. Personally, there's a big part of me that's still holding out hope that Garoppolo may stay, realizing how little chance that may be.

This is a Jets type of signing, not Patriots.

Can't think of less of a Patriots type player.

Only one Receiver I want in this draft.

We need 12 or higher to get him.

If not move on.

I would ask Chicago for Kyle Fuller, one of their receivers, and a 1st and third for Jimmy if we will trade him.

Cleveland: I would ask a 1st, a second, and the rights to Josh Gordon

If they were to get Chicago's 1st that would be the end of it, they aren't throwing in Kyle Fuller or anyone else. Cleveland would most likely throw in Gordon with #12 but they aren't giving the Patriots their 2nd regardless of which 1st they gave for Garrapolo.

If Freeman is right and there's a real bidding war amongst Cleveland, S.F., and Chicago, then the top three picks in the draft may end up being in play, expecting any of them to give up more than one of those picks is pretty much insane, they will be reluctant enough to part with them as it is.

If the most anyone offers is a 2nd then they should keep Garrapolo for another season and take the 3rd round compensatory pick.

I wouldn't, the Patriots would never pay him the money he is going to make.

Well if reports were true Pats tired swapping Collins for Hopkins but HOU rejected. So if true obviously they would.

Well if reports were true Pats tired swapping Collins for Hopkins but HOU rejected. So if true obviously they would.

That means they would have been willing to pay him his contract for the rest of 2016 as well as the 8 million for 2017, it in no way means they would give him the 100 million he wants for a new deal. And that was for a player they unloaded for a 3rd round comp pick, not Garrapolo for a one year rental when you might be able to get a top 3 pick in the draft that you will have for 5 years.

If they were to get Chicago's 1st that would be the end of it, they aren't throwing in Kyle Fuller or anyone else. Cleveland would most likely throw in Gordon with #12 but they aren't giving the Patriots their 2nd regardless of which 1st they gave for Garrapolo.

If Freeman is right and there's a real bidding war amongst Cleveland, S.F., and Chicago, then the top three picks in the draft may end up being in play, expecting any of them to give up more than one of those picks is pretty much insane, they will be reluctant enough to part with them as it is.

If the most anyone offers is a 2nd then they should keep Garrapolo for another season and take the 3rd round compensatory pick.

I think the Pats are going to like the deals that will be on the table for Garoppolo. Desperate times call for desperate measures and all of the teams with the top picks are in need of a QB. I'm hoping for multiple picks of course. A 1st/4th or 2nd/3rd round combo of picks would be great.

From what little I know it appears that JG's agent will be able to search for suitors and then the Pats and the teams can work out a deal. They'll be fighting over JG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST