PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once again, the NFL overtime rules suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsSox363804

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So the Saints lose the toss then an iffy PI call on third down gives Bears field goal position and the game. This sudden death in football is ******ed, they really need to just play a whole quarter, maybe 10 minutes, and decide it that way.

Re: OT: Once again, the NFL overtime rules suck

It does suck. Either a full quarter or something like college but each team starting at midfield would work for me. Coin toss ? No thanks.

A full quarter creates a big disadvantage for both teams the following week and is too physically tolling. College style would taint so many stats and is just too amateur backyard football esque.

The other team should just have a shot to match the team who receives first, that simple.

Saints are done for the season now, as either a Falcons, Cowboys, Eagles or Redskins win already mathematically eliminates them from playoff contention this weekend. Bears can be tied for the NFC North lead (losing the tiebreaker however) with a Vikings loss Sunday, whose final three games consist of the Cardinals, Falcons and Giants.

A full quarter creates a big disadvantage for both teams the following week and is too physically tolling. College style would taint so many stats and is just too amateur backyard football esque.

The other team should just have a shot to match the team who receives first, that simple.

Saints are done for the season now, as either a Falcons, Cowboys, Eagles or Redskins win already mathematically eliminates them from playoff contention this weekend. Bears can be tied for the NFC North lead (losing the tiebreaker however) with a Vikings loss Sunday, whose final three games consist of the Cardinals, Falcons and Giants.

Neither one of them were going to make the playoffs, that rule just annoys me. I'm still mad about the Jets game.

Neither one of them were going to make the playoffs, that rule just annoys me. I'm still mad about the Jets game.

Bears still have a shot, Vikings lose @ Cardinals this week and they're tied for first place in the NFC North record wise.

Vikings then have to face the Falcons & Giants in the final two games of the season.

Someone posted here the idea that the first team to score 7 points wins the game. I like that idea for overtime.

The Saints lost because a corner was simply not fast enough to cover his man and had to interfer to keep his man from scoring and hope they miss the field goal

They didn't - End of story

If you don't like ther NFL rules then go watch the NBA instead of crying like babies - The NBA has FULL overtime quarters :rolleyes:

BTW: Its dissapointing that a team with an offense like N.O. and a top QB in Brees has does not have a good record - Once again as always it shows you that without a good defense you have NOTHING

The Saints lost because a corner was simply not fast enough to cover his man and had to interfer to keep his man from scoring and hope they miss the field goal

If you don't like ther NFL rules then go watch the NBA instead of crying like babies - The NBA has FULL overtime quarters

Belichick is on record saying he doesnt like the current overtime system.

Belichick is on record saying he doesnt like the current overtime system.

If BB does not like it that is his opinion and it is respected but does not make him right

Do you have a link to where he said this anyway?

BB rarily says anything bad about referee call or NFL rules (except the camera rules thing of course)

If BB does not like it that is his opinion and it is respected but does not make him right

Do you have a link to where he said this anyway?

BB rarily says anything bad about referee call or NFL rules (except the camera rules thing of course

He said it on his weekly interview on WEEI, dont know if its linked on their website, just thought Id let you know what his opinion is, in fact I would say within 2-3 years OT will change to a different format.

IMHO --> Overtime ends when both teams have had at least one possession

and one or both have scored or time expires.

So if Team A gets the ball first and they score then Team B would get one possession to try to match and force a tie, beat it and win or time expires.

If Team A does not score, Team B gets a chance to score and win or time expires.

If neither teams scores you are now in sudden death and next score wins or time expires.

It would add at most one more possession to the game.

first team to 6 points

A full quarter creates a big disadvantage for both teams the following week and is too physically tolling.

...which is why I pray, usually in vain, for multiple overtimes in non-Pats playoff games. I'm evil! :D

Last edited:

i love the OT rules

win the game in regulation if you really want it

have a real defense rather than whining

you had 60 ******* minutes to win and now you're going to whine about having to stop the other team one more time on defense? gimme a ******* break...that's soccer mom, little league dad kinda of weak-ass bull ****

BTW: Its dissapointing that a team with an offense like N.O. and a top QB in Brees has does not have a good record - Once again as always it shows you that without a good defense you have NOTHING
if you take a look at brees on the road though

you'd realize in half of their games they don't even have a good offense!

you realize all 3 of their tds last night came off bears turnovers? lol

I think SOMTHING has to be done..a fill quarter too much...maybe 10 minutes..and then sudden death...OR two periods of 5 min...with no time outs...speeds up the game.. if one team has the ball in one OT period..the other team has it in the other...If tied another OT sudden death

If you don't like ther NFL rules then go watch the NBA instead of crying like babies - The NBA has FULL overtime quarters :rolleyes:

Yes and I'll bet that you sang this exact same tune after we lost to the Jets. :rolleyes:

if you take a look at brees on the road though

you'd realize in half of their games they don't even have a good offense!

you realize all 3 of their tds last night came off bears turnovers? lol

He looked great on the road in that one game in London this year. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes