PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On to Baltimore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really pathetic and embarrassing to this fan base seeing a somewhat decent portion of posters on this board piss their pants at the thought of playing an above .500 team. Hard to imagine how these folks deal with any sort of minor adversity in everyday life.

Really pathetic and embarrassing to this fan base seeing a somewhat decent portion of posters on this board piss their pants at the thought of playing an above .500 team. Hard to imagine how these folks deal with any sort of minor adversity in everyday life.

A lot of people are living in the past regarding the skill level of both the Baltimore Ravens and The Former Patriot Known As Flash.

Just ran a few quick numbers. If you take out the week 1 dolphins blow out Baltimore has been even more unimpressive than most think.

They have averaged 23.5 PPG offensively and allowed 23.2 PPG defensively if you take out defensive and STs scores for and against them. They have done that facing the Cards, Browns, Steelers, Chiefs, Bengals and Seahawks. Those teams have averaged 22 PPG offensively and 24.7 PPG defensively.

Put simply they are scoring 1.2 PPG LESS than their opponents score on average.
And allowing 1.2 PPG MORE than their opponents give up on average.

So below average in both. That isn't to say they are a bad team but they have been around league average the last 6 weeks even if you give them the benefit of a doubt on those numbers.

These facts, ignored all week because OMG RAVENS, will suddenly become very relevant Monday once the goalposts get moved on the Patriots yet again.

There were people creaming themselves over Jimmy Smith potentially coming back this week. This guy is the definition of JAG. 13 career interceptions in 9 seasons. No All-pros. No Pro Bowls. He's Just a Guy. But he's the savior. And of course, Marcus Peters, who Brady and Edelman pants the entire first half of the last Super Bowl. Good Stuff.

So below average in both. That isn't to say they are a bad team but they have been around league average the last 6 weeks even if you give them the benefit of a doubt on those numbers.

Many in the media recognized this, but the Seattle game and a week out of your spotlight refreshed their stature. As for the Seahawks, I watched the fourth quarter and they literally went out of their way to create running lanes for Jackson. It was a bizarre approach given how obvious it was that Lamar's legs were the primary threat. A better approach on that drive and it would have been a one score game despite two defensive TDs. This despite Seattle being no great shakes this year.

Why I like the pats:

The Ravens best offensive skill player is a receiving TE that lines up 60% in the slot or out wide. I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrews get Gilmore on 3rd down. That'll be tough for Baltimore.

Ravens DL metrics
28th in sacks
29th in adjusted sack rate
27th PFF pass rush grade

Tom should have enough time to get the offense in the mid-20s & if the D can do what they've done to Kelce for Andrews in the past it should be tough for the Ravens to move the ball consistently.

Why I like the pats:

The Ravens best offensive skill player is a receiving TE that lines up 60% in the slot or out wide. I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrews get Gilmore on 3rd down. That'll be tough for Baltimore.

Ravens DL metrics
28th in sacks
27th PFF pass rush grade

Tom should have enough time to get the offense in the mid-20s & if the D can do what they've done to Kelce for Andrews in the past it should be tough for the Ravens to move the ball consistently.

I like our chances if we can limit Jackson below 75 rushing yards. I don't like them if Jackson runs wild.

Why I like the pats:

Ravens DL metrics
28th in sacks
27th PFF pass rush grade

But what about Lamar? He’s their leading rusher and passer and their best player all around. Without him, you’re looking at a pretty average offense.

I shut down LJ by using Nickel 2-4-5 Double A Gap plays. But that's just the wacky world of Madden. :D

Everyday is a challenge. I cried this morning since we were out of toothpaste.

I don't like them if Jackson runs wild.

eh I don't know about that. Times he has "run wild" this year

vs Arizona 16 rushes 120 yards. Ravens won 23-17.

vs Cincinnati 19 rushes 152 yards. Ravens won 23-17. Game was 17-10 at HT

That was against 2 teams that aren't anywhere close to as good as the Pats and yet him "running wild" only helped them slightly edge bad teams

Then there was the Seattle game where he ran 14 times for 116 yards. They won 30-16. But the difference in the game was Ravens getting 2 defensive TDs

Obviously you don't want it but I really don't think him getting some running yards will be "deciding factor". Deciding factor will be how the Pats offense does. If they struggle, ya that becomes a factor but if they can move the ball consistently he could have one of those 100+ yard games and I don't think it will matter

Again with the who have they played stuff, this is who the Ravens have played in terms of defenses and their ranks

Miami- 30th

Arizona- 29th (Scored 2 TDs in the 1st half. Only scores in the 2nd half were 2 FGs in the 4th quarter)

KC- 24th (Game was 30-13 after 3 quarters)

Cleveland- 21st (Basically held them to 18 points, Ravens got a garbage TD with 30 seconds left to make it 40-25)

Pittsburgh - 10th (Jackson threw 3 INTs & was sacked 5 times. Ravens needed a TO in OT to win the game and Pittsburgh finished the game with their #3 QB)

Cincinnati - 32nd (Cinci actually held them to 2 TD, which the got in the 1st quarter. Their only scored the rest of them game were 3 FGs)

Seattle- 23rd (Held them to 16 offensive points)

I mean Ravens have most likely had the easiest schedule in terms of defenses faced. So if the Pats get dinged for not playing good offenses so far, I think it's fair to say Jackson & the Ravens offense have only played 1 good defense and it was a struggle for them and they won because an undrafted rookie QB played most of the 2nd half.

So like I was saying I think if the offense is consistent, him running will not be much of a factor in the result. The Arizona, Cincinnati and Seattle games kind of back that up. He ran for a bunch of yards against them but it was the other teams offenses that basically decided those games. Kyler Murray was in his 2nd nfl game, Bengals offense sucks so much that Dalton just got benched and Seattle's offense gave 2 defensive TDs.

A lot of talk about LJ, for good reasons, but Ravens have 3 players that avg over 4.5 ypc, which bodes well for their OL. Also read they have good blocking TEs. The Pats DL will be challenged not doubt. Bal is #2 in Pts/gm behind NEP, regardless of how they scored (NEP D also scored TDs).

No matter what, the combo of Goat Coach, QB, excellent D, and JE/White is enough to make the difference. Pats pull away in 4th Qtr for a comfortable 10 pt. win.

SmartSelect_20191102-112050_Firefox.jpg

Here are some team stats. These teams are similar in some overall stats. BAL appears to be more balanced on offense and they've played one less game. They have better 3rd and 4th down conversions (a lot more) and about same # of penalties even though Pats played one more game.

SmartSelect_20191102-125341_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20191102-125443_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20191102-125107_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20191102-125133_Firefox.jpg

I like our chances if we can limit Jackson below 75 rushing yards. I don't like them if Jackson runs wild.

It can't be over stated how important it is to limit Lamar's running.

In games in which he is held under 70 yards they are 2-4. (including playoffs)
In games in which he runs for over 70 yards they are 9-0
In the one game in which he got exactly 70 yards it went to OT (the Pitt Game)

The 2 wins in which Lamar ran for under 70 include the Miami game and last year when they beat the Chargers 22-10. Before a defensive TD they allowed only 16 points. I'm not going to go into it but frankly it was a fairly unimpressive and strange 16 points. The Baltimore offense did very little that day without being able to finish any drives and instead depending on a few big plays and settling for FGs when they did drive.

Simply put if you hold Jackson to under 70 yards you should win. If he gets more than 70 we will need to break a trend. That is the single most important number in this game outside of turnovers and points.

Last edited:
According to reports we struggle against the Ravens.

However the Ravens only have 1 regular season win in their history against us. We own them.
But why are people talking about the OLD Ravens? This team is built completely different. No Reed, Suggs and Lewiss

I'm lost.

This feels like a must win game. But maybe I'm overstating the importance of a week 9 game. Ravens will be 1 game out of the 1 seed with a win.

All games are important. Any given Sunday and all.

That being said...I am pumped about tomorrow! Gonna be a LONG day....I love 10AM PST games on Sundays the best...

LFG!!!

It can't be over stated how important it is to limit Lamar's running.

In games in which he is held under 70 yards they are 2-4. (including playoffs)
In games in which he runs for over 70 yards they are 9-0
In the one game in which he got exactly 70 yards it went to OT (the Pitt Game)

The 2 wins in which Lamar ran for under 70 include the Miami game and last year when they beat the Chargers 22-10. Before a defensive TD they allowed only 16 points. I'm not going to go into it but frankly it was a fairly unimpressive and strange 16 points. The Baltimore offense did very little that day without being able to finish any drives and instead depending on a few big plays and settling for FGs when they did drive.

Simply put if you hold Jackson to under 70 yards you should win. If he gets more than 70 we will need to break a trend. That is the single most important number in this game outside of turnovers and points.
Just a matter of how much you’re willing to sacrifice to stop Jackson.

LaCosse out? This is my shocked face.
But with Izzo available, I'm good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case