PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Old Timers, this looks like a good video

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL was smart enough to cancel games after JFK's assassination while the NFL played on, two days later.......

The AFL was smart enough to cancel games after JFK's assassination while the NFL played on, two days later.......

Rozelle said later it was the greatest regret of his life. To be fair, Rozelle was friends with Kennedy press secretary Pierre Salinger who told him "Jack would want you to play." Of course he asked him just moments after Salinger had learned Kennedy was dead so it's unlikely he gave his response a lot of thought. It was a bad decision but in the interest of fairness Rozelle was doing what he believed Kennedy's people wanted.

Imagine goodell in 63

If Goodell were commissioner in the 60's the merger never would have happened and the NFL as we know it wouldn't exist. If you think Rozelle had a hard time with Davis as a rival commissioner just imagine Herr Goodell dealing with him....scorched earth.

If Goodell were commissioner in the 60's the merger never would have happened and the NFL as we know it wouldn't exist. If you think Rozelle had a hard time with Davis as a rival commissioner just imagine Herr Goodell dealing with him....scorched earth.

I know. There’s something wrong with that guy. If Kennedy were shot during his tenure he would have insisted on training seminars

That was great to see again.

I started as a kid being fed Giants games which led to my becoming a Browns fan. One look at Jimmy Brown is all that it took.

Then the Pats came to be and I became a Pats fan, attending my first live game at Fenway Park as a teenager. I can still see Ernie Ladd, one of the original mountain sized men, banging into the goalpost in warmups, making them wobble.

Then came my anger at the names the NFL called us. Some of it stirred up again in that video. I went from a young boy liking football, to an 11 year liking the Pats to a 16 year old who wanted to see the NFL punished.

To this day I'm grateful to the NY Jets for finally getting us all over that hump and to the KC Chiefs for sealing the deal and shutting those blowhards up for good, and I still hate the NFL today and almost never root for an NFC team.

And now, all these years later, the league plays the game the way the AFL played it and the AFC is king, in spite of the misinformation that's being spread, just as it was back then.

I'll always be grateful to Billy Sullivan and all those other men who stood up to the NFL at a time when it wasn't easy.

It's been a great ride.

Also, as was noted in the video, the AFL players were smart enough to stick together against the racism of their day. I don't think the NFL players took such a stand.

Also, as was noted in the video, the AFL players were smart enough to stick together against the racism of their day. I don't think the NFL players took such a stand.
The NFL owners, at least one of them, Redskins owner George Preston Marshall was a leading racist and the last to integrate his team,under threat from the AG of the time Bobby Kennedy that lease would not be renewed. Guy made Tom Yawkey look liberal....
The AFL players certainly were progressive and acted in a positive way to advance civil rights....

Imagine goodell in 63

Tonguegate.

rsz_2maxresdefault.png

I started as a kid being fed Giants games which led to my becoming a Browns fan. One look at Jimmy Brown is all that it took.

Then the Pats came to be and I became a Pats fan, attending my first live game at Fenway Park as a teenager. I can still see Ernie Ladd, one of the original mountain sized men, banging into the goalpost in warmups, making them wobble.

Then came my anger at the names the NFL called us. Some of it stirred up again in that video. I went from a young boy liking football, to an 11 year liking the Pats to a 16 year old who wanted to see the NFL punished.

To this day I'm grateful to the NY Jets for finally getting us all over that hump and to the KC Chiefs for sealing the deal and shutting those blowhards up for good, and I still hate the NFL today and almost never root for an NFC team.

And now, all these years later, the league plays the game the way the AFL played it and the AFC is king, in spite of the misinformation that's being spread, just as it was back then.

I'll always be grateful to Billy Sullivan and all those other men who stood up to the NFL at a time when it wasn't easy.

It's been a great ride.

I was only 5-6 when the Pats played 1961.I followed Larry Garron's stats in the paper and watched the Giants reluctantly. Always wanted to know when we actually had a TV presence. I think blackouts played a part - do you remember Pats 1960?

It's been a great ride.

It's been a great ride.

Billy Sullivan was a pioneer. Nobody else wanted a Boston franchise, but with no money and no big time connections, he stole the last franchise from Philadelphia by phone over the weekend.

I watched the Giants every Sunday and began watching the AFL and the Patriots whenever they were on. I think I saw more Charger games early on than Pats games

Imagine goodell in 63

I he was there in 1963 he would not be there in the 2000's... but there has to be some idiot out there groomed for the job..

I was only 5-6 when the Pats played 1961.I followed Larry Garron's stats in the paper and watched the Giants reluctantly. Always wanted to know when we actually had a TV presence. I think blackouts played a part - do you remember Pats 1960?

I was introduced to the NFL by a friends dad in the 50's and was originally a Cleveland Brown Fan (Jim Brown), the NFL was a different animal then concussions were he just ("got his bell rung), the iconic picture of YA Tittle bleeding on the sidelines, Ray Nitchske, Sam Huff, Joe Schmidt...

I was a reluctant AFL fan in those days, read about in the Globe and Pro Jo, but thought the NFL was just another vain attempt to break the plane of the NFL.. after the 1968 SB became a believer in the AFL and became Pats Fan for life my blood runs blue..

I remember being force fed Giants' games on the boob tube in black and white. Y.A. Tittle was the QB. That was when I first saw Jim Brown and I became a Browns fan. Once we had our own team I was a Pats fan.

Billy Sullivan was a pioneer. Nobody else wanted a Boston franchise, but with no money and no big time connections, he stole the last franchise from Philadelphia by phone over the weekend.

This is why I defend Billy Sullivan any chance I get. Yes, he didn't have a pot to piss in and had financial help from the other owners, but he was the one who put everything he had on the line. Without him there's no Bob Kraft.

Al Davis is another guy who takes a lot of flack from some Pats fans but deserves our thanks instead. His take no prisoners attitude helped the original AFLers in their battles with the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back