PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ANNOUNCEMENT OK - So here's the deal regarding moderation. Pull up a chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods didn't delete my test post but I still suspect they are involved in causing me to wake up severely hung over.
Your mistake was making your test post clearly a "test" so it was treated as satire and completely inoffensive to anyone. Sorry :cool:

You guys do a great job. I have always enjoyed the forum. The posts of mine that were deleted were understandable. A few of them were embarrassingly dumb so I'm glad they were removed.

I do miss the pofo. Despite the inherent garbage there were many thoughtful discussions from both sides of the aisle.

Suggestion:. Not sure if it's possible but could it be possible for a mod get involved with a few warning messages prior to the deletion or lock? I've seen it done a few times but not always.

I can't imagine the amount of effort you guys put into moderating these threads but do appreciate it.
It's a worthwhile suggestion. Everyone does have their own style to a certain extent. I try to issue a "warning" or at least a request to get things back on-topic a lot of the time but it is not often very successful.

You guys do a great job. I have always enjoyed the forum. The posts of mine that were deleted were understandable. A few of them were embarrassingly dumb so I'm glad they were removed.

I do miss the pofo. Despite the inherent garbage there were many thoughtful discussions from both sides of the aisle.

Suggestion:. Not sure if it's possible but could it be possible for a mod get involved with a few warning messages prior to the deletion or lock? I've seen it done a few times but not always.

I can't imagine the amount of effort you guys put into moderating these threads but do appreciate it.
I appreciate that. I will say that what your suggesting makes sense, but it's hard to do because the reasons the deletions tend to happen tend to be due to the original problem post, which the subsequent replies tend to be taken down with them.

To give some insight, the mod tool allows us to select multiple posts together and remove them all in one click and it really doesn't allow to go back in and provide explanations for every single post when they're done in bulk. The only other way to do it is to delete them all individually and provide explanations and that's just too difficult, especially when we're doing it on a phone.

The idea behind this thread was hopefully to provide some context as to why they happen and that it doesn't mean that just because your post is deleted, it doesn't mean anything other than trying to get the thread back on topic. It's honestly nothing more than that.

Personally, I won’t comment on any post that aren’t in this football forum anymore. I can only speak to post we have here.

Could not agree more with the site policy against political discussion. There have always been a few snide political remarks. If I don't see it as humorous, I just hit a rare Dislike and move on. Tangential occasional political references aside, this is the wrong forum to hash out politics & religion. If it went that way. I'd ignore the forum except for on topic breaking football news.
I could not care less if any of my posts get deleted by a MOAB hitting way off discussion.
I agree it has zero place on the main board but I did like the political forum when it was here. It was a highly entertaining train wreck. Hell I even miss Harry Boy.

Your mistake was making your test post clearly a "test" so it was treated as satire and completely inoffensive to anyone. Sorry :cool:

You're a Catholic!

When one of the corrupt mods deletes one of my posts I wear it as a badge of pride. I know then that I have shaken the corridors of power to their core. The more they delete our posts the more powerful the movement becomes.

Personally, I won’t comment on any post that aren’t in this football forum anymore. I can only speak to post we have here.

Go Sox.

I'm good with you saying whatever you want to say, I'm fine with that and definitely respect your opinion. But no, I don't want increased censorship and I feel like I've outlined my intentions pretty well and I've been pretty honest and transparent about this.

Ian, you're the one who's chosen what's allowed, and you've repeatedly said that you're 100% behind what's been happening. That's not you being secretive ("But you keep acting like I have some secret intention that is different from what I've posted, which just isn't true."), that's you being up front about where you're taking the site, and it's your place to do as you will. But saying that you don't want increased censorship flies in the face of the increased censorship.

Look, I'm not trying to get into a big back and forth with you, because we've discussed it briefly before a time or two, and you're going down the path you've chosen. That's fine. I'm all about freedom of property, as well as freedom of speech. But the increased censorship is a fact. Words that were once allowed are no longer allowed. Discussions that were once allowed are no longer allowed.

It is what it is.

And, on that note, I'll bow out unless people address me directly.

Mods didn't delete my test post but I still suspect they are involved in causing me to wake up severely hung over.
Honestly it was actually a spot on post.

Thanks @Ian . I appreciate that you did the right thing on a post that was beyond the pale. I was involved in both that and also the Saints/sexual abuse discussion that got deleted and led to all this. I felt like both were handled just fine by the mods. I’m glad this isn’t a forum where people think posting neo-Nazi propaganda is okay and just leads to a slap on the wrist. I also figured the Saints discussion was likely to get locked/deleted. I thought the posters involved in it were reasonable, but the topic was clearly not going to get too far, and @IcyPatriot had already made that call when triumph tried to start a thread about it.

Generally I think people are feeling some kind of existential crisis stemming from the reality that the Pats dynasty won’t last forever, and it’s leading some to act a little more aggressively (and angrily) than they have in the past. I’ve felt that personally at times to be honest.

Thanks for providing this awesome forum. It’s really incredible how many intelligent, articulate, and just overall good people post here frequently. I’m really not sure there’s anything else like it. And I think that the combination of your great ideas and leadership, as well as the unprecedented success of the Patriots, have created a perfect environment to go and feel good.

You may find some new challenges as the Patriots ultimately stop being impossibly great, and I think it’s inevitable that many attitudes will change drastically. If deleting some posts and “over censoring” are essential to maintaining the feelings of goodwill and healthy, intelligent discussion, I understand completely. You can go visit many of the 31 other teams forums and see the results of not being the New England Patriots (not always being magically saved by the ridiculous success of the team) and the muck that the forums have degraded into.

Thanks again, to @Ian @IcyPatriot @Ross12 @ashley1992 @shmessy and all the moderators, present and past, that dedicate a lot of time to satisfy a lot people. :)

I understand. The GDT is IMO something that either has to be kinda over-moderated or just not moderated at all. It's hard to manage with an even hand at that posting speed while also trying to enjoy the game yourself.
Bless whoever moderates the GDT. That must be absolute hell.

Bless whoever moderates the GDT. That must be absolute hell.

I have no doubt the fallout and angry PMs are hell, but participating in the GDT without the power to kick people out of it is no picnic either.

The entire cast of the I-Can't-Wait-To-****-On-The-Patriots Players need to be booted from the GDT for life. Ashley totally allows reasonable negative reactions, as she should. But there's a very clear difference between expressing anger with the team for failure to execute and what certain posters in the GDT are there to do. Specific people always try to cast what they're doing as somehow reasonable when nobody with the emotional maturity above an angry chimpanzee would view what those posters are saying as reasonable.

Yeah - to piggyback on this line of thinking, GDT moderation is not only about removing trolling but also largely in the "keeping the thread on-topic" bucket. It's already an extremely fast-moving and busy thread as it is, so when you've got posters that (at least seemingly) are trying to flame others or start a discussion about how McDaniels is the worse than Anthrax and he should be fired and who do you guys think the new OC should be? - sometimes the trigger gets pulled on just cutting bait on that post before that sinkhole has a chance to open up even if it may not have ultimately been a sinkhole.

We're definitely not perfect but we do our best. @ashley1992 has taken up the mantle of the GDT Empress and I think she's done a fine job using her best judgment. I'm sure there are some she'd like to have back but there are others she's left up that I may have deleted that ultimately were fine to leave be. It's just in-the-moment judgment calls trying to keep a speeding Maglev train on the track that's carrying traincars full of people jumping all over the damn place.

GDT would seem to be impossible to moderate imo. Some of those threads must reach a two or three pages per minute type of pace.

Page 3. .... Refresh.... Page 14.... Refresh ..... Page 22.

Poor Ashley.

ezgif.com-resize (5).gif

Also - because I see this a lot. If you post something and then go "oh crap, I shouldn't have posted that" and edit it, or clear it out and save it, or hit "delete", your post is still saved and I can see each version of it. So if you post something bad and at least have the state of mind to remove it, that's at least a good thing. But if I have to call you out on it, please don't deny you did/said it because it's still there ;)

Please when you write your memoirs name the people who actually thought deleting or editing a comment made it so they could pull a fast one after getting reported.

This is some hilarious boomer rube stuff.

Please when you write your memoirs name the people who actually thought deleting or editing a comment made it so they could pull a fast one after getting reported.

LOL, no one will ever care about any memoirs of mine. But I was just trying to point out to anyone who may not have known that I'm aware of when this happens - so hopefully they'll be a little more careful ;)

The internet is like Pepperidge Farms....

It remembers

That would be a great read. Probably only second behind a BB tell all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes