PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OJ Howard On The Trading Block Per Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Arians is dabbling this out there....but I don’t see it with Brady coming in....this kid from all reports is an amazing talent and Brady and other O probably don’t want to see him walk before getting chance to play with Brady....Winston was pretty horrific and didn’t utilize Howard the way Brady would .....BUT someone throws a #2 at them?! Yeah they would be interested there..we will see!

Yeah, that post NFL career that is going gangbusters.

Snippets on Fox Sports where Gronk is jacked and pumped Bro. Big Time wrestling. Whatever happened to the TV Show that Gronk was supposed to Host?

He’s not nearly as engaging outside of sports as he thinks he is or he got credit for in the NFL.

He’s a fun character in the NFL because he’s so good and he’s light hearted in a big kid kinda way. However he’s not very well spoken whatsoever and while he has raw charisma, it’s not very focused. You can tell he can’t go deeper than shallow so after a few seconds you get sick of hearing him talk

But Brady likes using his TE's....and Arians/Christenen already came out saying that they would try a hybrid approach with Brady to fit his strengths. Yeah, Brady isn't the GM...but I imagine he carries a lot of weight.

How much weight do you think he has? He’s going to be 43 and he’s on a 2 year contract. Because of Covid he has spent almost zero time with the front office since his signing. Also unlike, New England, he’s not some untouchable hero down there that is beyond reproach. To them he’s a great player with a lot of hype that they happened to land on the backswing that’s won them zero Super Bowls. He’s a piece they hope works

At the risk of sounding like DW (still love your, posts, guy!), let's say Gronk is amendable to it.

Rights to Gronk and Edelman for Howard and Tampa's 2nd.

Tampa then has Brady with Edelman, Gronk, Godwin, and Evans.

Patriots then have a young and promising TE for 2 years at least, cap relief, and fill that second round hole. JE and Gronk and Tommy get a chance to go out together on a high note while that Pats rebuild.

When I was certain the Chargers were in the mix for Brady (and they were - still can't believe he picked Tampa Bay), I figured they'd make a play for the other two guys.

At the risk of sounding like DW (still love your, posts, guy!), let's say Gronk is amendable to it.

Patriots then have a young and promising TE for 2 years at least, cap relief, and fill that second round hole. JE and Gronk and Tommy get a chance to go out together on a high note while that Pats rebuild.

When I was certain the Chargers were in the mix for Brady (and they were - still can't believe he picked Tampa Bay), I figured they'd make a play for the other two guys.

The NEP picking up Howard's 5th year option for 2021 is not a done deal. Figure it'll be be around $6m-$7m. He better have a freaking good year to warrant that.

I was thinking more like #23 for Howard, #45, and a 2021 3rd.

This could be similar when we picked up Bennett from the Bears. I think he had one year left as well on his contract. Howard's production did go down quite a bit last year in terms of TDs which may be why the Bucs are looking to dump him.

This could be similar when we picked up Bennett from the Bears. I think he had one year left as well on his contract. Howard's production did go down quite a bit last year in terms of TDs which may be why the Bucs are looking to dump him.
It's was documented in the news during last season that Arians had issues with Howard saying "he can play a lot better". He is not part of the future and they will dump him one way (trade) or another (outright release).
Edit: there was this as well:
Bruce Arians confused by O.J. Howard's struggles: 'He's a talented guy, but it's not showing up on Sunday'

Why would Tampa Bay pay that high a price?

Edelman would be lethal in that offense, and if Gronk had already worked out a deal, you have the skill positions on Offense to go to a SB.

With the off-season shortened and Tampa already committed to Brady for a 2 to 3 year window, having two guys in the fold with Brady that do not need any off-season work might be very helpful for the fist half of the 2020 season while the other receivers come up to speed. Working with Brady, as we saw last year, is not always easy.

Also what is Howard's real value? Does Tampa value him that highly?

The trade value doesn't add up to me. I'd argue that, in the absolute best case scenario for us, we could maybe get a 4 for Gronk and a 3 for Edelman. Combine those two and you roughly have a 2nd round pick in trade value (again, at best--probably less than this in reality). I don't think trade value of veterans with high salary cap hits is necessarily additive in that way, though, so even a 2 for Gronk + Edelman sounds incredibly far fetched to me. So let's call it a 3 for both of them.

Howard is pretty much at the "reclamation project" stage of his career, so maybe we could (best case scenario) get him for a 5.

Thus, trading Edelman and Gronk for Howard would leave roughly the difference between rounds 3 and 5 for Tampa to fill with a pick. We can call that a 4th rounder.

Tl;dr: I don't think any team would take both Gronk and Edelman in the same atomic trade, but if TB agreed to swap Howard for them, the pick we'd be getting would probably be closer to a 4th than a 2nd in the absolute best case scenario for us.

Edelman would be lethal in that offense, and if Gronk had already worked out a deal, you have the skill positions on Offense to go to a SB.

Assuming Gronk can get back in football shape...

With the off-season shortened and Tampa already committed to Brady for a 2 to 3 year window, having two guys in the fold with Brady that do not need any off-season work might be very helpful for the fist half of the 2020 season while the other receivers come up to speed. Working with Brady, as we saw last year, is not always easy.

Also what is Howard's real value? Does Tampa value him that highly?

My issue with the valuation of that trade is less about Howard and more about the notion we could get a 2 for a 34 year old WR with a "system player" label and a guy who's been retired and fully out of football shape for over a year (and wasn't that great when he did play most recently).

My issue with the valuation of that trade is less about Howard and more about the notion we could get a 2 for a 34 year old WR with a "system player" label and a guy who's been retired and fully out of football shape for over a year (and wasn't that great when he did play most recently).
Licht ain't trading Howard and a 2 for JE and Gronk. Jesus.

Agree. Maybe Howard for Edelman and Gronk straight up, or Howard for Gronk+Edelman+5th
Maybe. Personally I don't think JE is going anywhere nor do I think Bill wants to move him to save $.

I can see OJ for Gronk and a 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back