PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Officiating games in a time of pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter if they are labeled Full-time, part time, or seasonal. The only thing that matters is if the NFL creates a bubble like the NBA is doing. Without a bubble, people will test positive, and the season might be put on hold or cancelled.
I don't think the NFL can create a bubble. The logistics of putting on an NFL game are significantly more complicated than an NBA game.

I don't think the NFL can create a bubble. The logistics of putting on an NFL game are significantly more complicated than an NBA game.
They 100% can’t create a bubble. They can’t expect players to show responsibility. You know players will go out and live life like normal. They’ll party, they’ll get sick, they’ll spread it to teammates. This will lead to players having to miss two weeks at least which will be a nightmare.

They would have to test 53+ players and coaches every practice of the season. There is no logistical way to make it happen.

Many would be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms but there will be a handful who get legitimately sick, especially older coaches. It would be a cluster ****.

I don't disagree at all. But unless I'm mistaken, I've seen no articles on how the NFL plans on handling the season. It's almost like they are hoping for a miracle at this point.

As much as I hate it, a normal season happening at this point is not very optimistic.

I agree but realistically what plans can they make? You can’t do a bubble. There are so many players that it is impossible to think a bunch of them won’t get Covid. How much freaking testing will you need to do given practice every day?

Football is simply not feasible at all. It will not work out during a surging pandemic. They don’t have a plan because it’s impossible they are just trying to make it happen regardless and it will fail.

Lets start with having clear protocols in place for facilities, practices and game day. How about using the 2-3 months of head start they had to put some guidelines in place well in advance of training camp. Instead they seemingly sat on their hands hoping everything passes and now here we are with camps starting / around the corner.

How does anyone expect anyone to opt-in or opt-out without understanding how safe their working conditions will be.

The way the league has bungled their entire response to the pandemic has been hilarious. They had months to go plan for several scenarios, go through contingencies and negotiate with the NFLPA to provide clarity. They failed on all levels with respect to the players.

And now it also seems they have not even spend much thought on how to deal with any other essential game day personnel.

I don't think there is a major sports league world wide that has screwed up so badly while having so much prep time. What a bunch of incompetent bozos.

Agree 100%. They have had the luxury of being able to sit back and formulate a plan and strategize numerous different scenarios for at least 5 months now. On top of that they can measure the ever so precious winds of public perception with the reaction to what the other sports are doing or not doing. The NFL had a huge head start and they fell right on their face. They haven't outlined anything as far as testing or player safety and there still seems to be no consensus on which cities will allow fans and which won't. Now days before training camp some of the most prominent players in the league launch a coordinated effort on Twitter basically asking what the hell is going on?

They make $200k per year. The reason some have side-jobs is because they only work 1 day per week (2 or 3 max if you include travel to & from cities). And that's 16-20 weeks out of 52. They live quite comfortably. That's a low frequency of work compared to the NHL, NBA or MLB officials.
I remember an article on a NFL ref''s work week and it was brutal. The game sounded like a test as they were evaluated on every call for that game. Saying they only work one day a week is dismissing part of their workweek.

They officiate during the Flu season every year. They'll be fine. Most people who get Corona will be fine. The numbers are bearing that out.

They officiate during the Flu season every year. They'll be fine. Most people who get Corona will be fine. The numbers are bearing that out.

I think the refs as well as the players want to play. That should help as long as the owners feel the same way.

Nooooooooo

We all gonna die.

The fact the NFL can't pay referees as full time employees is beyond ridiculous!
Referees have strongly opposed all proposals to limit their ability to have a job outside of the NFL. They refuse. Maybe if their pay went up 10-fold they would reconsider, but for now it's a nice gig, other than this pandemic thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back