PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Week 1 Pre-Game Thread: Pats vs Fins

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, trying to fix something up and accidentally deleted an existing thread with a couple posts in it. Trying to move them over.

For news, saw Hoyer and Folk were the PS elevations, Perry to IR.

Last edited:
Very interested to see if the defense rolls out a new wrinkle. We’ve seen them, out of the nickel base lean more heavily toward 3-3 some seasons and 4-2 more often.
Preseason really never seems to give a clue but if it does it suggest a possible change.

Aside from the year we had HT, KVN and Collins we’ve really gone with 2 DTs and 4 ILB/OLB/DE most often having 2 edge players that more resemble DEs in both skill set and assignment.
This preseason we saw more of a mix that we have usually only used again heavy run teams (and only some of them).
This is with 3 down lineman meaning one of the DE/OLB hybrids is replaced by a down lineman. (For lack of a better term I’ll call it a SDE)
Something like Judon Godchaux Guy Wise(SDE) HT Bentley/KVN
This is something I am going to watch for. For at least 5 years now BB has put more concern into that player being an edge player rather than a SDE. SDE was used more in the preseason than I’ve seen before but again, preseason is a terrible cue to what bb will do. Having Wise and Anderson who are both prototypical of that role, as well as a lot of talent, depth versatility at the DT position makes me curious what’s in store.

Barmore’s got my attention. Excited to see what his addition means for the defense. Would love the next Cox, Jones, Donald, Buckner, Hicks type.
I think we are going to see him as a passing down sub at first.

Week 1 and i will allready go to sleep 1 am night...

Very interested to see if the defense rolls out a new wrinkle. We’ve seen them, out of the nickel base lean more heavily toward 3-3 some seasons and 4-2 more often.
Preseason really never seems to give a clue but if it does it suggest a possible change.

Aside from the year we had HT, KVN and Collins we’ve really gone with 2 DTs and 4 ILB/OLB/DE most often having 2 edge players that more resemble DEs in both skill set and assignment.
This preseason we saw more of a mix that we have usually only used again heavy run teams (and only some of them).
This is with 3 down lineman meaning one of the DE/OLB hybrids is replaced by a down lineman. (For lack of a better term I’ll call it a SDE)
Something like Judon Godchaux Guy Wise(SDE) HT Bentley/KVN
This is something I am going to watch for. For at least 5 years now BB has put more concern into that player being an edge player rather than a SDE. SDE was used more in the preseason than I’ve seen before but again, preseason is a terrible cue to what bb will do. Having Wise and Anderson who are both prototypical of that role, as well as a lot of talent, depth versatility at the DT position makes me curious what’s in store.
I think the last time we prioritized having that second edge player be bigger like Wise was a decade ago with Shaun Ellis and Brandon Deaderick.

Looking for Uche to make a huge impact today!!
Really interested to see what his role will be. No doubt he’s in on passing sub packages, question is what’s his role, how much pt does he get on early downs.
When you look at the front 6 you’ve got 2 DTs, HT, Judon, KVN and one other guy. Could be Uche, Bentley, Wino, a 3rd DT type, or most likely a combination.
Good pregame prediction: what % of snaps will uche play? I’m guessing 65%.

I think the last time we prioritized having that second edge player be bigger like Wise was a decade ago with Shaun Ellis and Brandon Deaderick.
Yeah, running it as the primary D it probably was that long ago. I don’t expect that. But I’m curious if the use of it increases.

Ring6. We might get a clue regarding whether they will be running more 3-3 than 2-4 this year when the inactives are released.

The Pats have 6 guys who fit the DT/Big DE description on the roster. You’d think at least 5 of them would be active if the plan is to play 3 of them on a 80 degree day while 4 might be sufficient if the plan is to play a majority of 2 DT/2 Edge alignments.

Ring6. We might get a clue regarding whether they will be running more 3-3 than 2-4 this year when the inactives are released.

The Pats have 6 guys who fit the DT/Big DE description on the roster. You’d think at least 5 of them would be active if the plan is to play 3 of them on a 80 degree day while 4 might be sufficient if the plan is to play a majority of 2 DT/2 Edge alignments.
I think 3/3 4/2 is sometimes hard to distinguish because almost every LB can align and play like a DE.

If we have Judon guy Godchaux Kvn Hightower uche is it a 33 or 42? What if wino or Bentley replaces one of them? That’s kind of the beauty. A lot of those guys could play as either a lb or a DE

The distinction that will be more clear is using 3 true DLs (ie Wise or bigger).

Kind of weird…

Expecting the worst, hoping for the best.
or, shall I say tempering my expectations for game one of Mac attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back