PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Did we watch the same game?
The Tightends were targeted 8 times, had 8 catches, for 73 yards.

They also did a TON of blocking, and anytime we got into the redzone a running back fumbled.

The tightends had some huge catches on third down.

All of last year the tight ends caught what, 18 TOTAL passes?

100 Catch rate is hardly underwhelming imo

They combined for 73 yards. Roughly 37 yards each. So yes, I’d like to get more than 37 yards and good blocking from guys that are averaging $12m a year.

All things considered this was the 2nd best possible outcome. Everyone else in the AFCE lost so we're only behind Miami. I don't think anyone is worried about the Dolphins taking the division this year. And on top of that Mac looked really good.
It is the worst outcome for us because our loss is a divisional loss. The Jets lost to an NFC team and the Bills to Pitt. Now the Jet game is a must win on the road or else the division is pretty much in the tank.

17 points, 259 yards allowed. 5.0 yards per play & 79.6 rating against is a good day of defense in the NFL. That’s about as good as you can expect without Gilmore.

As has been a theme of the 2018-2020 pats a lack of explosive plays was a factor in a close game. Highly encouraged by Mac but not sure they have the personnel on offense. Deja vu?

Fortunately, the Dolphins will probably be the best man defense they play all season. They should have more success as the season goes on.

Good read by Lazar(spelled correctly) about the game last night's game:

1. Pats QB Mac Jones Impresses in NFL Debut​

Despite the final score, Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones was impressive in his first career start. Jones finished the game with a 68.6 QBR and a +7.7 completion percentage over expected, high marks across the board.

The Pats’ rookie got the offense into the proper protections and plays against several blitzes. Above, James White picks up the slot blitz, and Jones reads the two-high structure to thread a dart to Nelson Agholor in between the safeties.

New England’s first-round pick then dropped a beautiful dime on a wheel route to White. Jones recognizes the linebacker dropping with White off the line of scrimmage in man coverage and attacks the matchups.

Mac also had several downfield throws where he took a huge hit in the pocket and still delivered completions while under pressure.

After the loss, the rookie spoke about how the offense needs to improve, but Jones once again looked the part in his first time out.

2. Patriots RBs Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson Have Two Costly Fumbles​

The Patriots’ offense was deep in Miami territory when Damien Harris fumbled the ball, and the game, away in the fourth quarter. Stevenson also fumbled early on in what looked like a promising start to New England’s second drive. You won’t win very many football games when you fumble four times. Stevenson might not be ready. He also got run over on a blitz pickup by Elandon Roberts on a bogus roughing the passer call.

3. Pats Corners Give Up Too Much Underneath​

There were two big plays to DeVante Parker and Jaylen Waddle on deep passes. But the corners on the Patriots gave up way too many quick slants and then failed to get the Miami receivers on the ground. Surprisingly, the Patriots played more off-man coverage in this one rather than their typical press-man coverage.

Speaking after the game, cornerbacks J.C. Jackson and Jon Jones said the plan was to mix it up on Tua, but the Miami QB had the option to quickly throw it out when he saw certain coverages. To Tua’s credit, he timed those quick throws perfectly. The 13-yarder to Parker on Miami’s game-icing drive was tough. Bailing at the line and bailing them out of a 1st-and-14 from Miami’s own five.

4. Patriots’ Defensive Front Does its Part Against Miami’s Offensive Line​

We discussed the mismatch with the Patriots’ defensive front against Miami’s offensive line all week, and New England indeed dominated.

Here, the Patriots run a replacement blitz where linebacker Kyle Van Noy drops off the edge into coverage while safety Adrian Phillips blitzes up the middle. Matt Judon gets inside penetration, Phillips wraps around it, and they swarm Tua to force an interception on third down.

Although the Pats’ secondary had some issues, the defensive front did its job on Sunday. Second-round pick Christian Barmore contributed with a few nice pushes of the pocket as well.

5. Patriots Run 31 out of 70 Offensive Plays in 12-Personnel​

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels didn’t waste any time putting his two new tight ends on the field together. Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith were on the field together on 32 of New England’s 70 offensive plays, with 31 of those in 12 personnel. The duo combined on eight catches for 73 yards, which wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire.

Still, there were flashes. Here, the Patriots get tight end Hunter Henry isolated in man coverage on an option route. Henry likely has the choice to break off leverage on this route. With the defender sitting outside of him, he breaks the route off inside, and Jones hits him with the pass. Smith was also open for a big play at one point, but Jones missed him.

New England will need more out of their two tight end packages to get their offense going.

6. Patriots’ Running Game Starts Hot Until RT Trent Brown Leaves With Injury​

The Patriots opened the game with a 35-yard run by Damien Harris that was an entire offseason in the making. Harris ran behind a right side that featured Trent Brown (RT), Shaq Mason (RG), and both tight ends.

You’ll also see a great climb to the second level by center David Andrews on the play. Andrews puts himself through to the second level with nobody over center, Mason and Brown turn their guys out, and Harris has a huge hole. Just how they drew it up on the whiteboard.

Unfortunately, Brown went out of the game early on with a calf injury, and his status will be worth monitoring moving forward.

7. Third Down Defense Dominates, Early-Downs Not So Much​

In a theme that continues over from last season, it’s evident that the Patriots’ third-down defense is still dynamic when they’re getting into manageable down and distances. However, making plays on early-downs defensively is the first step to getting into those favorable exotic rush and coverage situations. The Patriots gave up a success rate of 50% on early-downs on Sunday, which made for some easy third downs for Miami. On third downs where the Dolphins had to pass the ball, they had a success rate of 12%. The Patriots need better early-down defense to get teams into obvious passing situations.

8. WR Nelson Agholor Leads Team With Five Catches, 72 Yards, TD​

Pats wide receiver Nelson Agholor had a nice debut. Agholor was on the same page with Jones a few times in blitz situations where the quarterback was “hot” on the play, ran a well-paced route on his touchdown, and made a great diving grab between the numbers.

The Dolphins were in a two-high coverage shell on the diving catch, and Agholor dove in front of the oncoming safety to beat the defender to the spot. The Pts will take that kind of production from Agholor.

9. Pats LB Josh Uche Flashes With Huge Sack​

One of the breakout players of the preseason for the Patriots is second-year linebacker Josh Uche. Uche had a monster sack at the end of the first half.

On the play, Uche uses a speed-to-power rush, and left tackle Liam Eichenberg steps on the left guard’s foot, making this display of power look even better. Eichenberg tripped, but it’s still an explosive play by Uche.

10. Pats Outside Corner Depth Still a Major Concern​

As we know, the Patriots have a hole at outside corner. Jalen Mills had some good and bad moments. His pass breakup in the end zone was a great recovery and play on the ball. But Mills gave up too many plays underneath and was in on a few coverage breakdowns. Joejuan Williams was a step behind on far too many plays, and we continue to see this secondary miss Stephon Gilmore.

It is the worst outcome for us because our loss is a divisional loss. The Jets lost to an NFC team and the Bills to Pitt. Now the Jet game is a must win on the road or else the division is pretty much in the tank.
i think the worst outcome for us is that everyone else in the division won lol. this is literally the 2nd best thing that could've happened outside of you know, winning

Crappy loss because we should have won

Mac played great. Rookie QB making his first start and he played like that against a top defense. Made great throws and was decisive.

Josh needs to involve the TEs more in the play calling. Jonnu looks like he's a really weapon when he has the ball in his hands. We waited until the 4th quarter to finally get them involved.

Pass defense looked good for the most part. Some of those long completions were simply great plays where the defenders were right there. Tua was hit or rushed in a lot of his dropbacks.

Run defense on the other hand looks concerning. When they knew the Phins had to run they couldn't stop them. The middle is still getting pushed off the LOS.

Good post. Yeah Hunter Henry had no catches till late. Jonnu had 1 catch till late. It was like McDaniels simplistically realized this and then for several plays in a row went to his TE pass callsheet and got Henry/Smith the ball, before going back to his crappy shotgun sheet to lose the game. McDaniels has no idea how to use 2 TEs at the same time. He uses 12 personnel predominantly to call runs. Should lower the plays out of 11 personnel, call even more out of 12 personnel including more balance (in this case more play action passes) out of 12 personnel.

Well here goes...

That was a good performance by Mac , nothing wrong with his arm and he will keep getting better
Good plays from Myers,Harris, Smith , Mills, Uche (beast) , Phillips
White was there for Mac when he needed it
Thought Herron played ok the first half then struggled
Yasir Durant did ok when he came on
Did Karras play ? I have not seen the snap counts yet
The fumbles were disappointing but I would give Rham more chances we need someone to help Harris.
I was a bit disappointed in the 2 x TE's .....Smith and more so Henry who never really showed up until the end of the 3Q and into the 4th (I appreciate that they may have had good blocking games but I am not good enough to see it....lol)

A disappointing loss but lots to look forward to

They combined for 73 yards. Roughly 37 yards each. So yes, I’d like to get more than 37 yards and good blocking from guys that are averaging $12m a year.

It was even more egregious when you realize Hunter Henry had no targets till the 4th quarter and Jonnu had like 1 catch till later in the game. This oc only thinks of TEs as bodies for run blocking. Has no idea how to use 2 TEs at the same time. This isn't an amoeba 2TE offense. It's a predictable run-mostly 2TE package. He doesn't think of TEs as part of the core game plan. Pats started on fire using 2TEs (probably chatting with BB on the first 10 plays) after that went back to the same crap.

Blount was a beast. Loved him. He was better than Michel, Maroney and a lot of backs the Pats have had. Harris reminds me of Stevan Ridley. Not huge backs, but powerful. Unfortunately the fumble reminded me of Ridley as well. But I think Harris will have an excellent career. I think he’ll correct his mistakes. He’s a smart kid, and not typically a fumbler.
Got to give credit to the MIA D for creating that fumble.

The same calf muscle that bothered Trent Brown throughout last season now bothers him during the first drive, of the first quarter, of his first ****ing game this season...

That is Unacceptable...as is not having Trey Smith available to replace him.

Last edited:
some leftovers:

Good info.

Bentley is playing way too many snaps, he sucks, Judon Hightower Van Noy should lead in LB snaps. Also Mills is not the answer. The whole secondary is much worse with Mills in and Gilmore out. I wonder if it makes sense to swap Dugger and Philips' roles. Godcheaux plays situationally but even then he's not a great run stopper.

Pata offense stymied multiple times in the red zone. A pattern going back to Brady's last season. DCs playing chess while oc playing checkers.

Pats defense gave up 2 TDs on 2 red zone trips. Also failed on 3rd and short which ended the game.

If Stevenson doesn't clean up the rookie issues, pass pro and ball security, I'd definitely like to see Taylor active. Wouldn't mind seeing Jonnu in the backfield either for a few plays here and there to spell Harris if needed. As others have hit on, really need to maximize the TEs in general.

Last edited:
If Stevenson doesn't clean up the rookie issues, pass pro and ball security, I'd definitely like to see Taylor active. Wouldn't mind seeing Jonnu in the backfield either for a few plays here and there to spell Harris if needee. As others have hit on, really need to maximize the TEs in general.

Don't want to go down this road but if Michel took Stevenson reps, Pats likely win. Fumbling and nearly getting Mac killed. He was useless. Harris looked gassed at the end probably because the coaches where hesitant to put Stevenson back out there. I'm sure he'll be better (hopefully) but he looked completely unprepared for NFL level play.

Don't want to go down this road but if Michel took Stevenson reps, Pats likely win. Fumbling and nearly getting Mac killed. He was useless. Harris looked gassed at the end probably because the coaches where hesitant to put Stevenson back out there. I'm sure he'll be better (hopefully) but he looked completely unprepared for NFL level play.
Sony had 535 carries for the Pats and 2 fumbles.

Patriots WRs could not get open.
What game did you watch?

Jones was 29 out of the 39 and I can recall 3 of those 10 incompletions Pats receivers were wide open

-Meyers was open and Jones just threw it slightly out of his reach

-Bourne wide open Jones just missed him

-Meyers wide open ane dropped it

Plus isn't the lolphins supposed to have some top secondary with Howard & Jones?

I tend to agree with that. Harris got too many touches and also got that headshot after they ripped off his helmet. That said, this could have also been avoided by dressing Taylor over rham which I hope is the case going forth.

Tua was 2-2 from RZ
Mac was 1-4 from RZ

That was the difference.

You post it like it was Mac's doing but red zone issues weren't on him

Mac could have easily been 4-4

Phantom hold call on a Harris TD

Meyers drop on 3rd and 4 when he was wide open for the 1st down

Harris fumble

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye