PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Who’s watching for Sony tonight?

D gave up 5 yards on 1st and 10 when game was on the line. On 2nd down they gave up 4.5 yards on a run up the middle. That was the game.
I kept thinking of Vita Vea as our DT...what a difference a player like that would make....have to wait for the 2022 draft I guess.

Our O didn’t get any better. It’s still anemic. When your D gives up only 17 points you should be winning the game.
If it weren’t for the fumbles team puts up least 25 IMO

Excited about Mac. Sucks to lose, but if this ends up our QB for the next 15 years today's a win in the long run. Couldnt have asked for Mac to do better and he already looks like an NFL QB - should only get better. Just sucks that his team blew it with penalties and fumbles. Pretty ironic that an area thought to be one of the big strengths of the team, RB, ended up being our downfall today.

Agholor looks like the real deal, I wasn't that excited about him but looks like a great signing. hopefully the TE's live up eventually - very underwhelming start for them recieving wise. Bourne looks explosive and Jacoby is Jacoby. I think we're OK there but really lack the legit playmaker that this team would need to be a contender. If we lose the turnover battle we are doomed.

Defense wasn't pretty, but they did their job ultimately. 17 points against a good offense, and one possession started in our territory due to a fumble. They were being asked too much at the end after making consecutive big stops to put us in position to win.

Folk was outstanding again , another great sign, the rest of ST's were alright but unspectacular. Could use a KR.

It's a long season, if we're meant to be in the playoffs we will pull it together and get in. 3 of the 6 SB winning teams lost on week 1. Not saying we're super bowl bound but week 1 is very miniscule in the grand scheme.

Mac looked great, hes unflappable. He stands there and just delivers the ball on target and on time. There was a few times i thought i was watching Brady. I think the reffs took 50-60 yards away from him.
The defense needs to get better, and im sure it will, it always gets more in sync after 3-4-5 weeks. But i expected the run defense to be stouter than it was today.
A good deal of the time the offense was out of sync, and sloppy. of course losing brown on the rt side didn't help. BB will have a lot to yell about.

Last edited:
Who’s watching for Sony tonight?
Can't imagine too many poster here will tune in for him...he was one of the most disliked players on the team.....the only players I remember from last year getting more criticism were Harry and Cam.

Have the pats have never beaten cleet blackmon?

Folk was outstanding again , another great sign, the rest of ST's were alright but unspectacular. Could use a KR.
I'm still hoping Gunner can do better at that.

I think the Coach has a bad taste in his mouth. I would assume him and all the assistant coaches will be up all night looking at the tape. Digest the offense and defense and make the assistant coaches responsible for the mistakes. It's over and we move on. We laid the egg today and no more excuses next game.

Brady is officially dead to me. Mac Jones played that game beautifully. They should have put it on his shoulders at the end there. The game wasn't too big for him overcoming penalties, turnovers, and poor O line play, he was in a position to win.

This is going to be a good season. The Pats are just going to get better. I can't believe how well he played.
Rookie QBs do not play like that in the NFL . Ones that have success like that tend to do it with their feet. Mac played like a vet is supposed to play - it was not fluky or lucky. All these comments that he played “good”. No, for a first game rookie, he was effing amazing!! He was so good, Belichick will probably “Johnny Foxborough” him this week.

Rookie QBs do not play like that in the NFL . Ones that have success like that tend to do it with their feet. Mac played like a vet is supposed to play - it was not fluky or lucky. All these comments that he played “good”. No, for a first game rookie, he was effing amazing!! He was so good, Belichick will probably “Johnny Foxborough” him this week.
Mac had a his share of rookie moments. BB will be sure to point them all out.

Up
Mac, Phillips, Bailey, Folk

Down
Herron, mental errors, red zone offense, D to start both halves

Mac can’t keep taking the big hits. Harris looked gassed when he took himself out. They should have had Bolden or White in when he fumbled.

Harris was fried ….JJ….Bolden…..white give them the ball…..get what you can kick FG game over Pats win……horrible coaching

17 points against a good offense
They aren’t a good offense though.
Can't imagine too many poster here will tune in for him...he was one of the most disliked players on the team.....the only players I remember from last year getting more criticism were Harry and Cam.
I’ll be watching because I’m curious to see how he does with a new team. I didn’t approve of the trade not because Harris fumbled, but because we’ve had injury issues. I hear Harris was gassed.

Hard to watch the game get fumbled away by our backs, especially Damien who had a very good game otherwise. Learning moment I guess.

Mac looked great out there. Big lining. I’m feeling better about our offense (despite 16 points) and worse about the defense. We couldn’t stop them in short yardage and coverage was sometimes spotty.

Mac had a his share of rookie moments. BB will be sure to point them all out.
He had moments 10 year vets still have. After the first drive he was fantastic. The difference is he had a lot of room to get better

Mac can’t keep taking the big hits. Harris looked gassed when he took himself out. They should have had Bolden or White in when he fumbled.

Harris was fried ….JJ….Bolden…..white give them the ball…..get what you can kick FG game over Pats win……horrible coaching
Can you imagine what would have been said if Bolden would have been given the ball and fumbled down in the red zone.....forget it....Haris is the best rb on the team, one of the best in the league...can't blame the coaches for giving him the ball there.

My biggest takeaways,

Mac Jones is the real deal. He’s doing what’s asked of him and then some.

this can be a good football team if we cut down the turnovers.

missing Gilmore hurts a lot.

They had 2 3rd & 1s and both times it was Brissett falling and being pushed over the line, that ain't a run defense problem.

stick to the brady sub-forum, moron
It’s not moronic to point out that the Pats couldn’t stop the run with the game on the line.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back