PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Bad post. See red zone. See 3rd and 1 including failing to stop and get the ball back at the end of the game. Godcheaux fell on his arse back 3 yards. The run defense is a problem.
They had 2 3rd & 1s and both times it was Brissett falling and being pushed over the line, that ain't a run defense problem.

stick to the brady sub-forum, moron

6-11....playing just good enough to lose...seen this type of season/team before....I'm OK with it as long as Mac stays healthy. This team is not as strong as we thought it was, especially the O line and the defensive front.

(fixed for rochrist)

Last edited:
More teams need to adopt Shanahan’s run scheme. One JAG goes down, another comes in and rushes for 100 yards.

It's the same Denver scheme his dad used to run. Remember back when Portis would get hurt, didn't matter, that running system is good for any number of RBs. Defenders hate dealing with cheap cut blocks by OLinemen.

Its only game one and expect alot of growth but red zone production is a must need

stick to the brady sub

Gave up a rushing TD easily. Failed in short yardage in the 4th quarter allowing the Dolphins to just run the clock out. Stop being an idiot.

This was a self inflicted loss, unfortunately.

Too many bad penalties. I don't blame Stevenson for the 1st fumble. He was down, and he has the known thumb issue. The coaching staff must have high expectations to seemingly have him penciled in for a large role prior to the fumble.

The issues are all fixable. They're discipline related, even the few Mac-10 miscues I fully expect to be rectified next week. The deep ball to Meyers that J McCourty closed out likely is completed against most other safeties (chasing down the Ram wide open in the EZ during SB, anyone?). He's got a ridiculously accurate arm and seemed to throw guys out of harms way most the time. His arm isn't + by NFL standards, but it sure as hell isn't a liability either. He slung that one into Agholor up the middle, between the lbs and in front of the safety without issue. That was the closest thing to a hospital ball we saw.

There were 2-3 swing plays where he rushed the throw (think 2 were roll outs, 1 he never got set) that I have little doubt will get adressed in practice this week.

Can we scratch the quick toss? Seemed they were as likely to be negative plays as positive...

Harris took a beating. He isn't meant to be a bell-cow. Stevenson needs to sure up those hands or the RB room is going to be a mess by week 4. The RB room that is an undoubted strength of this team.

TEs look like pros, man was that nice to see. I didn't notice them in the run game, but wasn't paying too close attention either.

The best news? Mac had a damn game against a good d, against a division rival where the HC knows the Pats offense well. Mac-10 is as advertised.

Bills lost, so we have that going for us. This team seems to have all the pieces to put together down the stretch, presuming health. I'll be shocked if we keep seeing the stupid penalties and miscues. This will be a fun season to watch play out.

5-11....playing just good enough to lose...seen this type of season/team before....I'm OK with it as long as Mac stays healthy. This team is not as strong as we thought it was, especially the O line and the defensive front.
That would imply we got worse from last year. What I'm seeing is just more of the same. Our offense is allergic to finishing drives and QB play is only one component of that.

The guy who came in to replace Herron at RT looked real good.

Slojuan Williams’s feeble play on the Waddle TD play makes me wonder what Belichick sees in him. This is season 3 for him.

Same goes for D Wise. I just don’t get it.

The rookie QB shows a lot of poise and ability. He will get it done.

if we avoid fumbling in the red zone.

They didn't lose because Sony wasn't there. They lost because Harris fumbled.

If you want to question why Taylor wasn't active, I'll join in that one with you. But it'll be a general question, not one insisting that the team would have won if he'd been there.
Fair point, I just don’t like the depth behind Harris, the rook has fumbling issues.

Thanks for starting thread @Ross12 . I needed a few extra minutes after this one. Really tough loss....Some unfortunate turnovers at the wrong time was our undoing. Mac was great, our defense at times was really good but couldn't get that big stop when it needed to. Questionable flags, and I'm never one to really bring them up. I thought our tight ends were good in the 2nd half, Nelson was good. Just didn't do enough to win.

Onto next week and the jets.

5-11....playing just good enough to lose...seen this type of season/team before....I'm OK with it as long as Mac stays healthy. This team is not as strong as we thought it was, especially the O line and the defensive front.
Not sure if serious. ALso, too: you're missing a game.

This felt exactly like a late 2019/2020 Pats loss. Starting to think it doesn't matter who the QB is until we figure some other stuff out.

Brady carried the current overrated oc on his back for 15 years . Rehire Bill O'Brien end of the year after he wins a college championship with Alabama.

My though was did Harris fumble because he was gassed? It would have been nice to have Sony there is share some of the load and also be a change of pace from Harris. I do worry a ton should Harris get hurt. That is what I was referring to about depth, not necessarily this particular game because Harris was great.

They had 3 RBs who could have taken that handoff. They chose to stay with their RB1.

Brady carried the current overrated oc on his back for 15 years . Rehire Bill O'Brien end of the year after he wins a college championship with Alabama.
I don't think this is it. I don't know what the real problem is, but it seems like there's still a talent deficiency on offense. Maybe losing Brown on the OL was just too much, but the right tackle didn't make Harris fumble. For that matter, the offensive scheme also did not make Harris fumble.

The offensive line didn’t really look as advertised today. Mac was under pressure much more than I expected. His performance under that pressure is what really impressed me, but the line definitely needs to get better.

Part of that was on Mac. I think he’s going though progressions even when it’s unnecessary, double checking decisions. I noticed sometimes the first read is there…he scans…then goes back to it. I guess it’s good to see if there’s something better - sometimes - but you risk the pocket collapsing too. He’ll learn things like this.

Feels like we probably should have won this one by two scores. Let that count as our final preseason game. Season starts next week.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back